Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindness

Options
  • 27-11-1999 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

OK, blindness by Jose Saramago

finished it last night and I have to say, excellent. After the first page I was hooked. The writing style is a bit weird, but that could have to do with the fact that it is translated from Portuguese. The lack of punctuation is awkward at first but you get used to it and it actually helps the book's pace.

There are, of course, holes in the book and bits I would disagree with (eg. it's bloody obvious that the man is a communist and that he remembers the revolution in Portugal. Nothing wrong with that really, I just feel that it should not be so apparent in a literary work.) It is very much a Lord of the Flies type of book (you'll see what I mean) but I actually think it's a better version of it. It's sort of Lord of the flies brought closer to home. Ending has a bit tagged on that I thought was a bit hollywood, but if you stop reading one paragraph from the end it's excellent!

I would definitely recommend you read this one.

Advertisement