Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did you get from the Tooth Fairy?

• 02-11-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Ok, at work today, we were having this conversation about the Tooth Fairy and how much she puts under your pillow.. Some said that their friends' kids got some crazy amount of money for their teeth and I was just thinking back to the good ol' days when I got 20p, 50p, or I was delighted to get £1 under my pillow. I am almost 24 - just so you have an idea how long ago that was. (Not too long, mind you! - I still remember like it was yesterday)

So, I ask you, how much did you get (if anything) from the Tooth Fairy? And tell us how old you are too, so we'll have an idea as to how long ago etc..

It's a pity salaries don't inflate this fast! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I used to have to put my tooth in an egg cup on the window sill because I was told that the tooth would get lost if I left it under my pillow and I wouldn't get any money.
    I used to get 50p... which was a fortune when I was a kid... you could buy many head rotting sweeties with that sort of money!
    One girl in my class used to get little letters from the tooth fairy... we were all so jealous... that was worth much more than any money!
    My God... the innocence of youth! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

The poor auld fairy is rich these days as the house prices are going up in never never land.They wont get out of bed for no less than 5euro a tooth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I used to get about 50p I think. My niece has been getting €5 per tooth since her's started falling out about a year ago. Nice inflation rate there. I think €5 would get you more now than 50p did twenty years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I used to get 20p, my parents were such cheapskates! : (

(24 btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

50p, an im 18.... fairly sickening to see your little 6 year old sister gettin a tenner only last week..... i feel cheated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

About 50p iirc... Got to a pound when I was about 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I used to get £1 and im 23 but if I was that age again I would be expecting a fiver, inflation is a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

it used to be a silver coin. I think thats the way it was through the ages.

thing is now 2euro is the highest value of coin. what am I saying.. thats plenty! they are only going to buy sweets and ruin the rest of them anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm 24, would get 50p or £1 for a tooth when I was young. Younger sister gets €2 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm 15, I used tog et 1 pound coind, and be rightly pleased with myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im 19. Used to get a pound or two I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

50p 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

A punch in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's a great way for the fairy to keep business moving. Knock out childrens teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

My daughter is 11 just lost a tooth the other night (she doesnt believe)( I have a nine year old as well who totally believes) My 11 year old came in to tell me in the middle of the night that she had lost a tooth. I had had a hard night..... friends stayed over a few bottles of wine... :confused: you know the story any way i said the doting mother thing"oh you poor thing hope you are ok etc... but fell fast asleep. I woke up the next morning she came in and said mam I got a fiver from the tooth fairy. I looked at her funny she came close to me and said I said you gave me a fiver so you wouldnt feel bad about not leaving me anything and so the other kids (my friends kids and my other daughter) wouldnt guess that there was no tooth fairy....clever girl........ I had to give her a fiver later on...she normally got 2euro :D
    gonk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

heehee. clever little one... (watch your back :rolleyes:)

edit: i think i got 50p, about 7 years back. seemed like enough at the time... hell, 5 euro would keep me more than happy now. hardly seems fair for 10 year olds to be getting that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

heehee. clever little one... (watch your back )

Oh I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm 24, used to get 20p back when 20p meant something... blah blah blah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

About 50p .... but i can only really recall one or occasions of waking up and finding money under my pillow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

got 50p,

(i'm 19)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The orthodontist who put in my braces was, to put it bluntly, a raging woopsie.
    So I guess I gave the tooth fairy the guts of two grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

oh it depended on quality you see.. motivation to keep 'em pearly white ;) and it kinda went on size too as far as I can remember!!! the ickle ones were worth 'bout 20p and the big ones a pound!! loaded!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

It used to depend on the size of the tooth really.

Larger ones warranted more money than smaller ones. 20p for a regular sized one, 40p for a bigger.

My mother also used to tell us that the tooth fairy wouldnt pay for teeth that had been "encouraged" out with our tongues/fingers because they were "ruined". So, as kids, we had to resist the urge that all kids get to mess with their wobbly teeth.

Jesus, she was such a b*tch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I didn't actually get anything from the tooth fairy, the tooth fairy was mean! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i got around .50p or 1 pound and im 21!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm 27, and I used to get 50p when I lost a tooth. Seemed like a lot of money at the time. I seem to remember I could get a lot of sweets and a Beano with it.

I used to leave the tooth in a glass of water beside my bed. Sometimes, when I woke, either it was in the water, or the glass was gone, and the money was where the glass was.. Wow.. I'd forgotten all about that!

Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

And i used to get 50p

I remember staying over at a friends house when I was small and having a tooth fall out there, and I still got 50p. That stopped any doubts about the tooth fairy, which I was having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I am 24.

And as far as I can remember, the 20p piece came out in 1986 was it?

So, I would have been about the 7ish when it came out, and losing my teeth.

I got a few of them new shiny 20p pieces I can tell you, then in 1988 when I was 9ish, out came the Dublin Milennium 50p pieces, and I got a few of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i remember i had to get my 4 back teeth taken out and i got a 5 pound note (i'm 21) but most cases was 20p or 50p, get a can of coke a beano and a chocolate bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Hmm I got 20p or 50p... I think it was 50p for a back tooth. But I didn't bother with all that tooth fairy crap.... I just went straight to the source (my mam). :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

25. Mostly 20p, 50p if I was lucky. It used to be enough to buy two packets of Meanies. Ah bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A punch in the face.

I used to punch myself in the face so I could put more teeth under my pillow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i remember finding my brothers first tooth he lost in a little silver box and pretended it was mine and had fallen out.. i got the 50p for it.. i still haven't told the truth and my mother still bends our ears over the 'disappearing tooth'...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Embee and Cork_Girl- different prices for different classes of teeth- what were your parents? Dentists? :)

Maybe I'm showing my age- I used get 10p/15p 20-25 years ago (it was actually a lot of money back then!- I'm 30 now).

That would buy a pack of Tayto, a Mr. Freeze and a pack of the fruity chalky (not the fizzy) Refreshers ( and no doubt hurry up the next visit from the Tooth Fairy).

You know, kids these days are so mercenary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

smccarrick wrote:

That would buy a pack of Tayto, a Mr. Freeze and a pack of the fruity chalky (not the fizzy) Refreshers ( and no doubt hurry up the next visit from the Tooth Fairy).

God be with the days sweets were cheap. I remember every Friday, Daddy would come home and give us our pocket money (AN ENTIRE POUND) and we would race to the shops where we would buy loads of junk that all cost nice round figures.

Burger Bites 10p
    Mint Crisp 10p
    Macaroon 10p
    Dan Bar 10p
    Cadet Cola 25p
    Fizzy Kola Lolly 5p
    Mr Freeze 10p
    Frosties 10p
    Ten Penny Sweets 10p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

simu wrote:
    I'm 24, used to get 20p back when 20p meant something... blah blah blah...

Yeh but back in my day you'd have to walk ten miles in the snow with no shoes to get to the sweet shops... blah blah blah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

I'm 19 and I used to get 50p or a pound.

I remember one time I had just lost my tooth before bedtime and proudly told my dad, then I placed my tooth under the bed and went to the bathroom and came back and the tooth fairy had already come and gone. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aava wrote:
    I'm 19 and I used to get 50p or a pound.

I remember one time I had just lost my tooth before bedtime and proudly told my dad, then I placed my tooth under the bed and went to the bathroom and came back and the tooth fairy had already come and gone. :rolleyes:

Thats efficiency for you! Lol

Advertisement