Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I brighten my chipmunk's life?

• 02-11-2004 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Hi two months ago I got a present of a pet chipmunk. I love her to bits and know how to take care of her, but she's not very friendly and I'm worried that she is lonely and bored all on her own in a big cage. She has a running wheel and a climbing frame but I wonder is there any way to brighten up her life.
    I'm considering getting a second chipmunk but I worry they will fight or, as someone told me, they will become ultra vicious towards humans. She used to be extremely active during the day time butnow that it is winter she sleeps for most of the day only getting up for an hour or so in the morning to forage for food. Is this a normal thing or is she just depressed, I researched that they take on a form of hibernation but still I worry about the little mite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

From what I remember hearing a few years ago, chipmunks are social animals and like the company of others. It is often reccomended that you purchase two of them to keep each other company.
    You should consider getting another. Ask in a pet store if it is best to have 2 female or a mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Have a look on this web ring, maybe there will be some forums there that you can ask http://www.eagle.ca/~diane/index21.html

this site is part of a chipmunk webring.^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I used to keep chimunks - we had ours outside in a avary - we had a chair in the cage & I used to sit in there all the time especially at feeding time - my guys didn't like being picked up but they used to climb all over me - My male Popeye used to hide food in my hair & pockets & used to be so upset when he tried to find them the next day! I had 3 females to 1 male - golden rule is 1 next box each & all in a line at the same height otherwise the females will fight over the highest nest box! They are the BEST pets but they are not a pick me up pet - NEVER grab them by their tails - they shed their tailes as a defence gesture! Very scary when this happens - I picked up a chippy one time & it was gone whilst I was left holding the tail! Not nice at all.

They are a social animal & need very large cages. Add a huge plant pot with earth so they can burrow - hide food all over the cage to relieve bordom.

Hope this helps?

Faye-Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

They sure look like lovely little things. I half-considered getting a pair myself but I reckoned I didn't have room for a big enough cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Bond-007 wrote:
    They are a social animal & need very large cages. Add a huge plant pot with earth so they can burrow - hide food all over the cage to relieve bordom.

Pot huh? Yeah that sound kinda cool. I often put monkey nuts on top her cage so she has to climb up and get 'em

• Advertisement
Advertisement