Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long back-pack routes recomendations?

• 02-11-2004 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi all! I'm a student thinking of maybe in the next few years taking a year out to go back-packing.
    Am very adventurous and don't mind going to off-the-chart places or hostile places, just places with culture.

Some ideas have come into my head;
    1;- -Copenhagen-southern sweden-Baltic countries i.e Latvia, Estonia-Russia[taking in St.Petersborg and Moscow at least-Kazakhistan-Georgia-Ukraine-southern Poland-[Slovakia-Czech Rep/Moldova-Hungary]-Germany-Holland/Belgium-HOME.

2;- Tour around South America following Ernesto "Che" Guevaras route [featuring in "The Motorcycle Diaries".

3;- Train across Siberia- China-Japan- alternate route home.

Has anyone any ideas they could share? Maybe some of you have visited some "different" places and reccomends it?Cheers! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Get any of the Michael Palin routes and basically work off one of them?
    I like the idea of flying to South Africa then travelling up the length of Africa by local transport (bus, train, bush taxi) but I imagine this would be very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Merrion wrote:
    Get any of the Michael Palin routes and basically work off one of them

Oh yeah, Michael Palin. He's doing a program about the himalayas on TV at the moment. Haven't had time to watch it though. I'll check them up, cheers.

Some places Palin describes seem nice. St. Petersborg of course is great, def going there at some stage! But places I would have by-passed are also looking good- Tallinn, Odessa, Dno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Im coming to the end of my 15 month adventure soon (2 months to go)

What i did was fly to Bangkok and then travelled over land through thailand , Laos , Vietnam and Cambodia. Then spent 9 months working in Australia , spent some time travelling the east coast. Then did a campervan holiday around New Zealand.

Im in India at the moment and have been through Nepal. India is huge and there is loads to see.

Next year i will be doing the trans siberian railway Beijing to Moscow via Mongolia.

Also another possibilty is to travel overland from Europe to India , just met a guy the other day that did that. Involves going through Iran and Pakistan though ... so not for everyone obviously.

Good luck !

Im coming to the end of my 15 month adventure soon (2 months to go)

What i did was fly to Bangkok and then travelled over land through thailand , Laos , Vietnam and Cambodia. Then spent 9 months working in Australia , spent some time travelling the east coast. Then did a campervan holiday around New Zealand.

Im in India at the moment and have been through Nepal. India is huge and there is loads to see.

Next year i will be doing the trans siberian railway Beijing to Moscow via Mongolia.

Also another possibilty is to travel overland from Europe to India , just met a guy the other day that did that. Involves going through Iran and Pakistan though ... so not for everyone obviously.

Good luck !

Wow. That sounds amazing trip. I def want to go through Russia and central Asia, anyway.
    Do you mind me asking about the costs of such a trip? Did you organise places to stay before leaving or did you just see what arose? I don't think I'd be able to stick to dates arriving here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I got a flight to Sydney via Bangkok (open ended dates) for Eur700. Once in asia travel is very cheap , as is everything else.

Or you could get a round the world ticket from trailfinders , i think a 7 stop one is about 1800.

Australia is expensive until you havea job and get settled , so make sure you have a decent bit of funds. New Zealand is fairly cheap to get to from Sydney.

I then got a flight from Sydney to dublin via Mumbai (india) again about eur700, i have 3 months in india , internal flights here are fairly pricey but rail travel is very cheap. Just bloody long , i did a 27 hour one last week.

For the trans-siberian the train ticket , depending in cass can be upto 500 sterling , checkout www.seat61.com for ALL info regarding the trans-siberian.

Anything else you want to know , i'll do my best to answer ....er .. when i have internet access i mean.

I got a flight to Sydney via Bangkok (open ended dates) for Eur700. Once in asia travel is very cheap , as is everything else.

Or you could get a round the world ticket from trailfinders , i think a 7 stop one is about 1800.

Australia is expensive until you havea job and get settled , so make sure you have a decent bit of funds. New Zealand is fairly cheap to get to from Sydney.

I then got a flight from Sydney to dublin via Mumbai (india) again about eur700, i have 3 months in india , internal flights here are fairly pricey but rail travel is very cheap. Just bloody long , i did a 27 hour one last week.

For the trans-siberian the train ticket , depending in cass can be upto 500 sterling , checkout www.seat61.com for ALL info regarding the trans-siberian.

Anything else you want to know , i'll do my best to answer ....er .. when i have internet access i mean.

Cheers for that!

Advertisement