Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do they still ban movies in ireland

• 02-11-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I know they used to, but most of them are unbanned now. It seems kind of dumb to ban movies because
    A: It's an infringment on free speech
    and
    B: You can still get them over the internet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree, many film are banned but its hard to say they're a loss cos they are straightfoward hardcore pron tapes. That said in a pure, censorship free soceity they'd be availible to rent/buy. But thats what we have d'net for. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I wish Chucky wasn't banned. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Of course, there's not much point banning a film in Ireland if it's not banned in the UK, as we'll probably get to watch it on Channel 4 anyway (or one of the movie channels if you've got'em)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I actually didn't get to see the exorcist or a clockwork orange until they were unbanned, but I had read both books.......the exorcist was a huge disappointment, a clockwork orange was fantastic.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Check out the 9 songs thread, where we've been discussing this. The only movie David Kelleher banned recently, of any note, was the drug drama 'Spun'. He said it's purely because he didn't want it available on video but didn't have a problerm with it being in the cinema but the classification applies to both.
    In case you're ready to point out that it got shown, that's because the Appeals board over-ruled him and he gracefully accepted their decision. He's stated repeatedly that he doesn't want to ban/censor movies, but correctly classify them - get the intended audience. So you shouldn't worry too much.

Also the free speech doesn't work here in the way it - allegedly - works in the American constitution. And you may be able to get them elsewhere but, if they're not classified in Ireland, I'm pretty sure it's illegeal to buy them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wasn't 'From Dusk til Dawn' banned?

I could never quite figure that one out... it's not particularly voilent or nasty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I could never quite figure that one out... it's not particularly voilent or nasty...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116367/

Seemily it was WTF

I think both sequels were too and that the original ban was rescinded. FDTD2 is a dreadful movie but the sequel has its moments.
    Anyway, I doubt Kelleher would have banned it. He's enjoyably progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

ixoy wrote:
    The only movie David Kelleher banned recently, of any note, was the drug drama 'Spun'. He said it's purely because he didn't want it available on video but didn't have a problerm with it being in the cinema but the classification applies to both.

Are you sure it's banned? I rented it out from xtravision a while ago.

To answer your question Phil:
    ixoy wrote:
    In case you're ready to point out that it got shown, that's because the Appeals board over-ruled him and he gracefully accepted their decision. He's stated repeatedly that he doesn't want to ban/censor movies, but correctly classify them - get the intended audience. So you shouldn't worry too much.

Well done ixoy! It's the post that keeps on giving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Was just about to say the same thing as Phil. I rented Spun in Xtravision a while ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

There seem to be only 39 films in IMDB that are banned in Ireland. The list isn't really that accurate though - Bad Lieutenant? The Meaning of Life? Showgirls?

I guess the list contains all films that were at one stage banned - some have been "unbanned" since:

Banned films

[off-topic]It's funny looking at other countries rating systems. Deep Throat, which is banned in Ireland, has a 15 rating in Denmark and Sweden, which is the same rating as they've given Bad Boys :rolleyes: [/off-topic]

From Dusk Till Dawn was unbanned recently. The second sequel is still banned but the third one was never banned. I managed to rent out FDTD2 recently. I didnt see any reason for it to merit a ban but from what Ive read the version released in England was extensively cut.

I dont agree with censorship as I feel that I alone should decide what I can and cant watch. I do think that the rating system should re-evaluated as it has in recant years became extremely strict.

I dont agree with censorship as I feel that I alone should decide what I can and cant watch. I do think that the rating system should re-evaluated as it has in recant years became extremely strict.
    Kelleher agrees with you as it happens, as does the film industry. The problem is we have '15PG' whereas the UK has '15s'. That's why a large portion of '15s' 'cert movies get nudgeed to '18s' here, because '15PG' is unsuitable. Apparently they want to try and introduce a '16s' rating by way of compensation. This will suit industry experts too because certain movies won't seem as offputting as they might with an '18s' label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

ixoy wrote:
    Kelleher agrees with you as it happens, as does the film industry. The problem is we have '15PG' whereas the UK has '15s'. That's why a large portion of '15s' 'cert movies get nudgeed to '18s' here, because '15PG' is unsuitable. Apparently they want to try and introduce a '16s' rating by way of compensation. This will suit industry experts too because certain movies won't seem as offputting as they might with an '18s' label.

I always kind of thought that 15PG was a little bit of a dodgy idea, in that it's either suitable for those 15 and over or it's not. In the past exceptions were made to this (Michael Collins in particular - it was given a 12), but violence warnings were given.

I accept that some younger people are more mature for the content of 15s movies, but under this rule, they still need to be accompanied by a responsible adult (I'm sure this is being flouted, but that's another issue.)

I would have thought that a 15s could stand (as in the UK) - no PG element -and films which contain a level of violence/unsuitable content that might be too extreme for younger children and which are not classable as a 12PG (Lord of the Rings, Spiderman) could maybe be given a 14 rating, rather than the proposed 16.

Again, that's assuming the UK system applies whereby material at 15 is geniunely deserving of that classification (often having to become 18 here), and not our current one wherein 15PG is too tame for many UK 15 films. A cut off point before 15 would indicate that it is from 15 onwards where teenagers can be allowed to view what is deemed suitable for their group. A 14 or 14PG would allow parents to know that the film is generally suitable for that age, but doesn't contain the level of a 15s.

As it stands, as Ixoy says, the 15PG rating affects the classification of UK 15s movies too much, in that most of them as bumped up to 18.

In the US, television's higher ratings go from TVPG to TV14 to TVMA (Mature Audience.) I'd be more in favour of putting the restriction back before 15PG and returning that classification to what it previously was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

you can buy all the DTD movies in Templecom on the quays for 12.99 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I wish Chucky wasn't banned. :(

Do you mean Child's Play? That was never banned here.

Do you mean Child's Play? That was never banned here.

I think it was just Xtravision took it off their shelves for a few years after the whole Jamie Bulger thing.

It was Childsplay 3 that was 'invloved' in the case... but that's rubbish anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Great Dictator.....we wouldn't want to piss off the Fatherland now would we De Valera? :mad: :(

• Advertisement

Anyone hear John Kelleher on Dave Fanning this evening. Apparently they will be introducing the new 16 film cert within the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I think it was just Xtravision took it off their shelves for a few years after the whole Jamie Bulger thing.

It was Childsplay 3 that was 'invloved' in the case... but that's rubbish anyway...

Sky Movies still show this every now again again, although I complained at one stage - not because they were showing the movies - but because the EPG info had a movie plot blurb that ended with, "This film was notorious in the early '90s due to its connection with a real-life murder case."

I took exception to the Bolger mention, and rang to complain. By the time it was shown again, the last line had been removed.

Advertisement