Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME+HTTPconnection

Options
  • 02-11-2004 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I need to Make a GPRS connection from a mobile phone to my computer using HTTPconnection. I am using the Nokia Developer suite at the (mobile)client side integrated with JBuilder9.
    What do I need at the (server) computer side. I don't need java servlets do I? Can't I write a java server program that will receive the HTTP connections and extract the information from them?
    Please help
    Glenman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You could of course write a server in Java to accept and respond to connections, or a lot of other options like Apache Axis.

But using servlets (+ jsp, depending on the complexity of responses sent ) would be easier and quicker.

See
    http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/ttips/clientserv/

Is it just nervour jitters about implementing MyFirstRealServlet, or is there a project requirement that you are worried about?

If you're worried that the project is too simple, there's plenty you can add, once you get the basics. structs, junit to distract the project reviewers.

Looking for a howto on installing and preparing tomcat?

the basic methods suggested for java 1.1-1.3
    //edit corrected link
    http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.3/tutorial/doc/index.html

You probably don't want to use the 1.4 version, which deals with application servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

ressem, thanks for your suggestions. Well, I'm new to java and trying to learn the basics so I rather not go into the whole servlets issue. I'll be sending the robot instructions from the computer to the robot after the server on the computer extracts the direction instructions from the mobile phone. I am sending the instructions from the robot over a radio packet controller link. The transmitting RPC will be connected to the NI-DAQ card which is programmed using C++. How could I integrate the java server code and the C++ NI-DAQ code or could I write the server code in C++ also
    Thanks
    Glenman

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

J2ME HTTP <==> Servlets <==> Java Native Interface <==> C++ Dll ?

Advertisement