Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst remakes thread

• 02-11-2004 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Empire magazine had another of thier polls this time about worst re-makes.
    Get Carter is 'worst film remake'

Get Carter, starring Hollywood action man Sylvester Stallone, has been voted the worst movie remake of all time.

The classic original, starring Michael Caine, was moved from 1960s Newcastle to Seattle for the 2000 remake.

Film fans were also left unimpressed by the remake of Alfie - a role also made famous by Caine.

Alfie - starring Jude Law - came sixth in the Top 10 Worst Remakes poll, carried out by DVD rental firm ScreenSelect.co.uk.

Second in the poll was Gus Van Sant's attempt to remake the Alfred Hitchcock horror Psycho for a new audience.

Thunderbirds movie was third, followed by Bridget Fonda thriller The Assassin - a remake of the cult film La Femme Nikita.

Other films to make the top 10 were Charlie's Angels - starring Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu - and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

The poll of 2,000 film fans also showed they preferred the Frank Sinatra original of Ocean's Eleven than the George Clooney and Brad Pitt update.

Top Ten-
    Get Carter
    Psycho
    Thunderbirds
    The Assassin
    Alfie
    Charlie's Angels
    Planet of the Apes
    Starsky and Hutch
    Cape Fear
    Ocean's Eleven

Wot? No Avengers? :confused:

So which would get your vote as the worst or list them if you have several!

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

hmm did'nt know Cape Fear was a remake. Quite liked the Scorsese one.

Tunderbirds!? Never seen the film, but it was only a puppet show ffs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The first Cape Fear was made in 1962 in b&w starrred Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum (as the nutter). It was almost universally panned at the time for its amoral violence and sleazy atmosphere. Which is why its highly rated now! :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055824/

Mike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mike65 wrote:
    The first Cape Fear was made in 1962 in b&w starrred Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum (as the nutter). It was almost universally panned at the time for its amoral violence and sleazy atmosphere. Which is why its highly rated now! :D.
    And wasn't the 'Love'/'Hate' tatoo from this lifted from 1955's The Night of the Hunter which also starred Robert Mitchum?

I can't believe 'Ocean's 11' is considered a bad remake - it's superior to the original, I feel. Why no 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' or 'Vanilla Sky' hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I was quite shocked to see The Assassin on there. It's a film I have a secret crush on. Then I went through the list and saw other films I liked. Planet of the Apes might have been big and dumb, but taken on its own, and without any ridiculous comparisons to the original, it's highly entertaining. Charlie's Angels.. well.. I don't believe McG has much talent or credibility as a director, but that's a really fun movie that kids can watch and be entertained by the pyrotechnics and stunts and adults can watch and be entertained by the boobies (and Cameron Diaz dancing around in her underwear).

But the two that have galled me are Cape Fear and Ocean's Eleven. Sure, the original Cape Fear was good, but the second one was easily as good, if not better. It's visually stunning (and been referenced everywhere) and is probably the last time we'll ever see the trademark De Niro intensity, now that he's stuck to doing kid's movies. Meet the Fockers? Bobby, Bobby, Bobby.

And now onto Ocean's Eleven. Now.. I love the original. As a cultural "postcard", it's amazing to watch a bunch of entertainers at the height of their careers doing something for themselves. This is important, because I believe the entire movie is only actually entertaining in a non-camp, non-ironic way.. to themselves. Sure, I squeal with glee every time Dean Martin starts singing "Ain't that a kick in the head", but this is the dumb fanboy in me. The remake took the basic premise and made it into a highly entertaining heist movie. They even managed to keep some of the self-satisfied swagger of the original, but inject some actual artistic merit into the story and acting. Being a fan of both (and a HUGE fan of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin), there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the remake is the better movie.

So screw this poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Oceans Eleven (remake) is one of my favourite films - how can that be on the list???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Oceans Eleven (remake) is one of my favourite films - how can that be on the list???

Cause it's ****. Could see the endinga a mile off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

mycroft wrote:
    Cause it's ****. Could see the endinga a mile off.
    I really hope you're not being serious here, because if you are, you've just provided the most ridiculous write-off of an otherwise entertaining movie that I've read on this board in a long time. Suppose this was a thread about dodgy endings, then perhaps you'd maybe have a point. But it isn't - it's a thread about remakes. And as such, the remake of Ocean's Eleven stands over the original in terms of pure entertainment value (rather than kitsch value) and technical quality. With this in mind, you're not really answering the man's question.

Oh, and for the record, you could see the ending in the original a mile off, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the league of extraodinary gentlemen.

ok. its not a remake, but i feel it should be included in any top 10 suckie films of all time anyway :)

its the only film i could have happily drifted off to sleep if it wasnt for the annoying contact blowing up stuff happening on screen.

with regards to worst remakes, then for me it has to be the Ring which came out last year. it was well directed, but it just had nothing of the tension of the original.

on the other hand, the best remake (well, its not actually a remake) is the scene taking the pÍss out of the ring in scarey movie 3. in fact, that film cracked me up generally.

oh, and i saw the ending coming a mile off in that too!
    (coz apparently its cool to ruin a film for yourself that you just paid a load of dosh to go and see by second guessing the script writers!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

with regards to worst remakes, then for me it has to be the Ring which came out last year. it was well directed, but it just had nothing of the tension of the original.

Seconded.
    No tensing, no claustrophobia, no creepy eerie strange feeling on the back of your neck. It was purdy and all, nice cinematography, but it just wasn't scary at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Given the fact that the original was one of the great Ealing movies, and the update was made by the Coen brothers, the remake of "The Ladykillers" really disappoints given the pedigree and leaves you wondering why they even bothered making it in the first place. Waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement