Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of Authors worth mentioning.

Options
  • 01-11-1999 11:00am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently tried to find Radix, one of my all time favs, and discovered it is out of print and can't even be gotten at Amazon except the uk so I'll get a mate to buy it for me. I just thought I'd mention that the man who wrote this book, A.A.Attanasio is well worth looking out for. Radix and the 3 books that follow it are possibly some of the best SF I have read. If you don't believe me than check out some of the reviews at Amazon.
    Also thought I'd mention Mr. Patrick Tilley. Yeah yeah Cloud Warrior and all that but I wanted to bring your attention to the one-off novels he has written. Xan, Fade Out and Mission (which I am currently reading). Fade Out for me is one of the best Alien Contact novels ever written. Xan was a real find in the local library as was Mission, which I discovered in ForbPlanet. and am thoroughly enjoying. As for the Amtrak Wars I had to stop reading after book 2 because I can't find book 3 for the life of me.
    So there ye go boys and girls. Get reading.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yeah, I got as far as Amtrack 5 a few years back but I had to give up as there was no end in sight. Is mission the one about jesus returning driving a Porche ? Can't remember if it were good or not.
    Just to make you all jealous I'm reading Lord of the Rings FOR THE 1ST TIME. Lucky me or wha ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

FadeOut is exceptionally good, a first contact novel that doesnt go anywhere you're expecting it to - it ruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gimme a shout Mus.

Al.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

What's up Trojan?

M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm in Rathmines. I've managed to get a hold of number 3 so I think I'm o.k. but if you want any of his other novels I'll sort you out.

M

• Advertisement

Excellent - might just do that. A friend of mine is there in Ranelagh so I'll call over sometime. No time right now, be a week or 2.

You want 4 - 6 of AWars?

Cheers,
    Al.

If you're lookin for amtrak I've got the lot. Are you in dublin area?

Al.

Finally finished the Rise of Endymion, the last in the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. Very very brilliant stuff i must say.

Hmm, haven't tried (/heard of!!) Simmons! What kinda stuff is he writing? Any good?

Al.

If you like SF go out and buy Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Trojan. It's brilliant, imaginative, well written, no cliches or usual sf epic crap, it just rules. That was the first in a series of four, beleive me if you like Hyperion you will rush out to buy the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

genius eh?
    like ernest hemmingway or stephen jay gould or graham greene?
    or like someone you like alot.
    which isnt really a genius now is it?

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

Oi!

Quit starting **** on our sci-fi board^W^W Book board! smile.gif

Muppet.

Al.

Just to reiterate.
    ORSON SCOTT CARD IS A GENIUS.
    If you haven't - Do !

Muppet, yeah good one Trojan.
    YOUR board, yeah good one Trojan.
    Sci-fi books WILL not be the only books discussed here.
    Prophesies- aren't they sexy?
    Muppetty Kevin signing out all vexed up and ready to do battle with arrogant cyber-dorks.
    (dork- an Uber-Word!!! smile.gif )

Hmm, obviously didn't get the joke then[1] ... ah well.

Don' be worryin yer little mind over it Excl smile.gif

Here's some non-sf news that might interest you: "Ann and Barry go to the Beach" is just been released[5] in hardback, check out amazon!!!

Err, case none of this makes sense, I was actually taking the pi$$. But anyway....

rgds,

Al.

1. Note ^W's in prev posting[2].

2. In case you're still stuck it's one of those "cyberdork" things you mentioned. Apologies, I didn't realise you were a luser[3].

3. No, not loser, "luser". See bofh[4].

4. You get the idea. I'm sure smile.gif

5. Hurry now, it's a limited release!!

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 24-11-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well, at the mo' I'm taking a break from Sci-fi and reading

Blindness by Jose Saramago (he won the nobel prize for literature in '98, a Portuguese fella).

Not bad at all. I'll stick up a review when I'm finished ('cept I keep expecting an alien mothership or something to turn up, or some weird dimensional thingy.... ah well.).

Trojan,
    you truly are for the ages. Never before have I come across such a supremely crafted and devious plot to take the ****.in ****. Ah well, what can I say, reverting back to form with the Ann And Barry jibe, it was a road that mystifies me as to how you found it. Anyway, I've got to go do my tables tests. Those 9s are a basta.rd
    Kevin.

Surely it cant be much longer before the Books board falls over with all this frenzied posting smile.gif

Couldn't we support it with some hardbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Fade Out is pretty fantastic. Isnt there sposed to be one last amtrak book due ??

Also worth noting is the new Crichton book, Timelines pretty cool, no doubt written for the big screen.

B.

• Advertisement

Excel

My sincerest apologies for not pointing out that my earlier pronouncements on OSC's genius were in fact a personal opinion rather than a statement of incontrovertible fact.
    Funnily enough he is a member of MENSA so it looks like I'm right either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fugazilazarus

the wheel of time series by robert jordan does it for me .
    the shanarra series too.
    there's also this kool book i got in galway called the gormenghast trilogy by mervyn peake , fantastic stuff.

MENSA eh? Then he MUST be a genius. I mean, their one and only test for membership is an IQ in the top 2% band. Let's forget the total triviality of the IQ test, as it takes far too long, I have a lecture in a second, and lets focus on the 2% band. By MENSA's reckoning, in a country of 4 million, like Ireland, there are around or about 80,000 genei.
    Yeah, thats the kind of intelligence that genius demonstrates.
    Kevin

10 days to come up with that. Must try harder. I give you 2 out of one hundred. Wah wah wah.
    Anyway Mister take everthing everyone says literally. Read one of his books before you start spouting esoteric criticisms of the mans intellect.
    While you're here you might also be good enough to give us your very own definition of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Taking everything into account, I think it would be a one or two word definition not found in any dictionary

Here is what I could come up with, what do you reckon Canny my buddy?
    Genius:
    transcendent, extraordinary intellectual power (superiority???) especially manifested in creative activity or thought

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nah.

how about 'not the boring usual crap that is posted here because someone disagreed with someone elses opinion and cant stand not to have the backing of popular opinion and so they feel left out and have to resort to stupid insulting posts and behaviour in order to cover up the fact that they are embaressed at their own insecurities'

maybe that would be better?

Wow there's a lot of cr@p posted on this board...

I submit Bill Gates, cos you'd have to be a genius to get people to spend billions on the sh!t software that he calls operating systems, never mind the fsckin apps.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

If we take the word "superiority" and add
    to it the word "complex" we have reached
    a whole new level of excellence

• Advertisement

ROFL.

Advertisement