Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company car - What would you get?

Options
  • 02-11-2004 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Righto, new job on the horizon and package includes a company car. Choice includes VW Passat, Ford Mondeo, Renault Laguna and Peugeot 407.

If I was spending my own money then the Passat would be the obvious choice even if they are common as muck. But I'm not :) so I'm thinking that traditionally VW gave you the lowest spec for your money and the Frenchies were more generous with the goodies so I'm leaning towards the Renault and Peugeot. I'm not a big fan of Fords so I've sort of written the Mondeo out of the running already, unless any Mondeo drivers care to advise me otherwise.

The 407 is obviously the newest model of the lot but I'm not sure about the wide mouth frog look of the front, although I won't be seeing that from the driver's seat.

So give me your tuppence worth, all the better if you have driven any or all of them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I love the laguna.. it's a really comfortable car, so if u are travelling long distances etc. you'd be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

It depends on the engine size and specifications on the models

I've had two laguanas (one the current model)

The 1.6 engine will not rip up the road...

Saying that both my 1.6 models were excellent cars, I've driven the 407 and its okay, I had a 406 and hated it.

So I'll go Laguna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd go for the Laguna, the VW would probably be more reliable but the laguna looks nicer. The base model Passat is really cheap and crap. Maybe I'm biased, my last boss wouldn't shut up about how amazing his bottom of the range passat was and how fast it could go. He even gave out to a women for parking her range rover too close to it and proceeded to explain how it was a new car blah blah blah zzzzzzz.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

First off, congratulations with the new job :)

Is it only those 4 or have you any other options? What level / list price are you limited to? (1.6 petrol, has to be diesel, how much for optional extras, etc.) If petrol, I presume you can go 1.8 as the Laguna is the only 1.6, all others start as 1.8. Comparing all 4 in 1.8 petrol disguise leaves 3 slow cars (407 slowest) and the Passat which is a lot faster. Comfort and luxury will go to Laguna and 407. Mondeo still a very good drivers car

With my own money it would have been either mondeo or passat. The laguna is nice, provided you don't drive it too fast around corners cause its wing mirrors will scrape the sidewalk ;)

As a company car I'd pick the 407. Like yourself, not for its looks, but it is the newest (looking) of the 4 and it scored well in recent reviews. Apparently it drives remarkably well for a French car

Might as well test drive them all, see what you like

If you can get an Alfa 156 (became popular in this country mainly because it was available as company car to a lot of people), go for it and enjoy yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Doesn't the passat come as a 1.6?

edit: Upon closer inspection, the Passat does indeed come in a 1.6

You're right. Passat still comes as 1.6!

My point is that if you have choice of 4, of which 2 start with 1.6 and 2 start with 1.8, do you have to get the cheapest of either of the 4 or can you go for say the 1.8 Laguna?

My comparisons are based on all 4 being 1.8. I you consider the Passat 1.6 and Laguna 1.6 as well, then the Passat 1.6 is by far the slowest of the lot. But enough speculation!

Let milltown state what he can go for first ;)

Also speed is of no importance to some people, who prefer the leccy seats and the rain sensor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Fair point Unkel. I'm happy enough once I'm not taking my life in my hands trying to overtake a slower car. My current 1.4 Seat Leon has adequate performance for my needs. Car is purely a perk so I won't be racking up huge mileage but Dublin traffic being what it is I will be spending some time in it. I would value air con or auto gearbox (unlikely to be an option) way more than outright performance or sporty suspension.

I don't have all the details of what's allowed yet. Theres time to be spent abroad first and a probation period so it will be February at the earliest before I'm looking to order anything. There's a point, is there anything new due in this class next year does anybody know?

Thanks for all the opinions so far, good karma on the way for all contributors.

milltown wrote:
    so it will be February at the earliest before I'm looking to order anything

Let us know again when the time has come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

in the 407 i would definitely check out the i.6 hdi diesel version if i was you. the test i`ve read on it gave it a great write-up. there`s also a 4 or six speed autobox option on the 407 and diesel and auto go really well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The only one that isn't old looking now is the 407, I was surprised to see one the other day, they're scarce on the ground. I suppose you either like the front end styling or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The laguna by a country mile if you are travelling in dublin traffic

Advertisement