Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Broadband connection?

Options
  • 02-11-2004 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    Ive just received my eircom broadband router & want to setup for sharing over my network.

1)I have a fax-machine plugged into the phone wall-outlet. Is it possible to use the ext input on the fax-machine for the DSL cable coming from the broadband router?

2)I want to share the broadband connection with other PC's on my network via my server. Whats the best way to share the connection?
    If I connect the router to the server, will the other PC's on the network be able to use the connection?

Thanx in advance

Hanloka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Hanloka,

1. It all depends on the fax machine in question - whether or not it has a line filter installed on it's input and how it filters the output. I would imagine that this config would not work as most fax machines regulate the ext output line some how. The best way to set this up is to plug the fax directly into the phone port of the eircom ADSL box and the router/modem into the ADSL port. In this config both devices are hanging off the one line but the ADSL port is unfiltered whereas the phone line has a low-pass filter on it.

2. Again I would need more detail .You don't mention if the router in question is a ethernet or USB device. If it's an ethernet device you can start building yourself a little LAN and away you go. However if it's a USB connection you'll need to use some sort of proxy services such as Intenet Connection Sharing or similar.

So if you want 2 answered let us know what type of ADSL router / modem you have.

JayoK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hanloka

Hi,
    Thanx 4 reply. Its an eircom cayman router, I can use USB or ethernet. But, I was thinking of installing on server via ethernet & sharing internet connection from it. Is it possible to do like that?

Thanx again

Hanloka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Hanloka,

Ok if you've an ethernet interface then there's no need to "install" it on the server as such. Simply assign an IP address to the interface of the router that is within the subnet of your server and client network. For example, if your network range is 192.168.0.0/24 (i.e. 192.168.0.1-to 192.168.0.254 usable) set the router to IP 192.168.0.254 and change all clients and server to the default gateway of 192.168.0.254 and you should be browsing.

I am of course assuming that the server and clients are networked already.

If you *specifically* want to install it on the server then use the USB to connect it to the server (if >Win2K or Linux) and share the USB modem as a dial-up connection. But this will just complicate things option 1 is much easier.

JayoK

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

hmm not 100% sure, but if its the same router/modem eircom provided me with..
    its got 1 ethernet port and a usb port..

I had it set up the way your looking to.. i think, but had to buy a network switch inorder to share the connection out further on the network.

cayman router ethernet -> network switch -> other pcs on the lan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

You've probably already tested it by now, but you almost certainly won't be able to connect it up through your fax machine - the fax requires a filtered signal or the DSL will interfere. The DSL requires an unfiltered signal. So connect them in series and at least one of them won't work, depending on whether you have connected a filter to the line or not.

Advertisement