Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 03-11-2004 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Just a quick question on the NCT .. will they fail you for having chips on your windscreen ?

Ix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Well they do ask you to clean the car inside and out........

It depends. If they can't fail it for anything else, they'll probably fail it for that. I know my old car passed the NCT twice with a crack running vertically down the entire windscreen. I've also heard of a guy who just put his tax disc holder over a chip during a retest when they had already failed the windscreen in the first test. He got away with it even though it was right in front of the driver.

I'd chance it - especially if it's not immedialtly noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Any sort of fast food obscuring your view will result in an instant fail.

Seriously though, if they do fail it the retest is only a quick visual one so it will be free so unless the centre is miles away from you, what have you got to lose?
    You do say chips, plural, though. How many are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I had a smallish chip in mine and it passed - but ye know yourself what these lads are like!!

Id say chance it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ixiathor

Thanks ..

I've got three smallish chips but no cracks .. think I'll chance it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone posted a link to the NCT manual the other day, you are pemitted a small number of cracks /chips up to a certain size, provided they don't obscure your vision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement