Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help: installing led lights outdoors in decking

Options
  • 03-11-2004 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

hi all

i am looking for some advise in how to install these properly. i have got 36 led lights to install on two timber decks. the instructions seem quite easy with transformer/junction box and slave junction box. you can run 18 lights of one transformer, so the idea is to use 18 on each deck.

now to the problem!! the master junction box and transformer plug have to be fitted indoors, now this means taking up 2 sockets with 2 master junction boxes drilling a wide enough hole to accommadate 8 cables... hopefully your getting the picture by now it will look like spagehti juction or 2 large spiders as my wife said.

this will look terrible surely there must be a way of leaving them under the deck, i used this opportunity when digging out footings for decking to put in armoured cable running from attic (not connected yet)to trench leading to a shed eventually.can i not get electrican to work of this or alternatively to wire into the external plug and put all the connections under the decking.preferably i want this plug to be left free as it is great to have :D

any advise suggestions most appreciated, as i find it is always better to have good idea of how to do it right before hiring electrician as this will invariably want to take shortcuts and do it the easy way.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the transformer is supposed to go indoors, install it indoors.

Surely there is some way to make the cabling reasonably tidy? The obvious thing to do might be to drill a hole in the wall below the level of the deck. (If you have concrete floors, this obviously won't work.)

Can you not wire the lights in series? then there would only be four cables to bring in from outside.

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly. Mains electricity + outdoors = no messin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You could always mount a plastic IP65 sealed outdoor enclosure outside in well protected area . your SWA cable could feed the main psu and Junction Box in this enclosure. use the proper glands to bring the feeder cables to the lights, ie 18 cables = 18 glands per box. the enclosure will need to be located out of direct exposure to the elements, i'm sure you could find a spot under the decking, be carefull when mounting it so as not to break the waterproofing, and all glands should be in the bottom of the box.
    Finially i doubt how a sparks will do the job wrong or take shortcuts and how this would be inevitable, I'd seriuosly consider getting one, good luck with it

Advertisement