Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quesion about consumer rights

Options
  • 03-11-2004 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

best place I could find to post this one!

A question, if I went into a shop and bought a toaster for 50 Euros via my credit card, but they only charged me 40 euros.

Without checking my receipt. Am I liable even though it was through no fault of my own, no mal intent or no inaction? Could they come looking for the difference (be it 10 or 1000)? Does Irish or European consumer laws protect me from such questionable business pratices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If you signed for €40 at the time ...or entered a pin at €40 then you should be fine.

M

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

cherrio wrote:
    Could they come looking for the difference (be it 10 or 1000)?

No, I don't think so.
    Once you paid for the product, you finalised a contract of sale. You are not liable for any price differential after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

If you'd like to be sure, go to irishstatutebook.ie and check the consumer laws - Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is a good one to start with. (In fact, everyone should read this act, it's pretty reasonable and fair and worth knowing).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

cherrio wrote:
    Does Irish or European consumer laws protect me from such questionable business pratices?

Ahm why would this be a questionable business practice ? Sounds like an error and an error of which you are aware. Whether you go back or not is almost a moral issue eg is it Argos or somewhere smaller..

By the same token if it was a eur50 toaster and you were charged eur60 I'm sure you would have gone back there an dno amount of its a finalised sale would have fobbed you off (and rightly so I might add)...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Thanks to all for your replies.

In answer to parsi comment, I gave a Very over simplified example of what I ment. Its dodgy business pratices because it started out with them owing me money, then they sent me a invoice saying I owed them! Told them they had to be joking and since I posted, they have updated again, back to them owing me money.

Any way, thanks to all again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ah ! That explains it a bit more i.e. that there was some "history" - so now they are owing you money you should get it off them while the going is good.. ;-)

Advertisement