Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something positive

Options
  • 03-11-2004 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I woke up this morning to Ryan Tubardy telling me about 4 more years. I lay there wondering how could he be some positive (probably because he is paid a lot of mony to be).

This tread is to try and concentrate on positives about the election result.

So I'll start

1. Better the devil you know.
    2. Kerry would probably have put pressure on American multinationals to pull jobs out of Ireland, and back to the US

OK I'm done, can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

Kelter wrote:
    2. Kerry would probably have put pressure on American multinationals to pull jobs out of Ireland, and back to the US
    True - that was very much so on the cards, so I think for Ireland there is a somewhat positive point but if we suddenly strike oil we are f***ed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

3. Its only 4 more years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

4. More humor value in insulting Bush than there would be in insulting Kerry. So there's a few laughs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

5. Election talk should be over soon for another 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Ok Ok Ok Try to be positive...
    6. Bush is so going to ƒuck-up the US over the next 4 years were virtually gauranteed that that a Democrat will get into the White House in 2008.
    That the only positive thing I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Imposter wrote:
    5. Election talk should be over soon for another 3 years.
    Nah, we have 3 years of "Hillary Clinton gets ready" to look forward to before the primary season starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

6. 2008 Hilary walks the election !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Paves the ground for Powell/McCain 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

7. Many boards.ie members not faced with the hypocracy having to spend 4 years complaining about the candidate they supported / wanted to see in Whitehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

bonkey wrote:
    7. Many boards.ie members not faced with the hypocracy having to spend 4 years complaining about the candidate they supported / wanted to see in Whitehouse.

i'd say we wanted bush out more than we wanted kerry in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loads of work for satirists (and Michael Moore).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

8. We wont see Jeb Bush run for election in 2008! The Bush clan might settle now in the knowledge that they have completed their dynasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Bush causes so much damage to the US that it no longer be a super power.

Loads of people in China and India will get better jobs and more work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hobbes wrote:
    Bush causes so much damage to the US that it no longer be a super power.

Loads of people in China and India will get better jobs and more work.
    But ye haw, least dem terrorists wont be doin' dem bombs! And dem gays'll know der place with the Lord!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah have to agree, dare i say it but there are a few postives with Bush. The Foreign Direct Investment will keep coming and the jobs will stay here.

As for Iraq, well the U.S troops are there anyway. Bush is probably trying his best to get US troops now anyway and Kerry wouldnt have made a big difference. As long as there isnt another country invaded and bush sorts the US economy out they it should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Memnoch wrote:
    i'd say we wanted bush out more than we wanted kerry in ;)

That is the reason Bush is still there. I for one am quite happy about the situation. :D

The Americans voted for their own (perceived) interest and for a society with "some" morals.

Luckily what the perceived to be in their interest, is in fact in our interest....JOBS

Also it seems that in America it seems that Liberal is a dirty word in America.
    But on Boards.ie it seems that to be conservative is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

As long as there isnt another country invaded and bush sorts the US economy out they it should be ok

I've heard that Iran is next for the chop?????????????
    Not sure who'll be starting it tho.

How is it that that region is so F*cked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

9. It will accelerate the development of a more aggressive and independent European bloc.

Continued division between The EU and the US is not necessarily a bad thing for the EU. Since the end of WWII Western Europe has been happy enough to abdicate its military responsibility to the US an essentially take its lead from the US in most things. The end of the Cold War saw a divergence in interests between the two blocks, which Bush has brought to the fore with his diplomatic bungling. Kerry as president may have repaired relations and encouraged many EU states to return to the US fold; discouraging the present, more aggressively independent direction that the EU is taking. Bush’s re-election essentially knocks that on its head and practically guarantees that the EU will continue on this road rather than have to rely upon the whims of a foreign electorate in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

hmm positives. hes got a more cheesy smile than kerry.

cheesy%20bush.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

The one good thing I can think of is that Bush is going to have to sit in the mess he created. Kerry would have been in a very difficult situation and would be bashed whaterver he did.
    At least now Bush will have to live through his decisions, who knows some day he might have to admit to making a mistake!
    Also it seems that in America it seems that Liberal is a dirty word in America.
    But on Boards.ie it seems that to be conservative is dirty.
    Agree with what you say about Liberals in America, but Bush is far from conservative, thats a lot of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bush will start a war with North Korea, America will be nuked and we'll never have to watch another crap Hollywood movie?

As America's economy goes down the toilet, the euro should trade well against the dollar so we'll be able to get cheaper holidays over there? (I realise this has negative aspects as well, but we're trying to be positive here)

More people will realise that there is no God and become better, more rational people.

Got another good thing.
    I think the phrase "Too close to call" will be entering our vocabulary.

Will you have that finished?
    Sorry its too close to call

Is it your round?
    I'll check my balance, its too close to call

Will you call me later?
    Sorry its too close to call

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bush will be assassinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:
    Loads of work for satirists (and Michael Moore).

Mike.

I'd consider Moore a negative myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sleepy wrote:
    As America's economy goes down the toilet, the euro should trade well against the dollar so we'll be able to get cheaper holidays over there? (I realise this has negative aspects as well, but we're trying to be positive here)

Yeah, but if the US continues fighting the entire world you'll have to spend your entire two week holiday in the airport passing through security checks (white glove time methinks...) to get into the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

9. It will accelerate the development of a more aggressive and independent European bloc.

Continued division between The EU and the US is not necessarily a bad thing for the EU. Since the end of WWII Western Europe has been happy enough to abdicate its military responsibility to the US an essentially take its lead from the US in most things. The end of the Cold War saw a divergence in interests between the two blocks, which Bush has brought to the fore with his diplomatic bungling. Kerry as president may have repaired relations and encouraged many EU states to return to the US fold; discouraging the present, more aggressively independent direction that the EU is taking. Bush’s re-election essentially knocks that on its head and practically guarantees that the EU will continue on this road rather than have to rely upon the whims of a foreign electorate in the future.

When I woke up this morning to see that Bush was ahead I was quite disappointed. But on the other hand its good news for those of us who believe in the euro federalist project. Thank you Bush!! keep up the good work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

PH01 wrote:
    Ok Ok Ok Try to be positive...
    6. Bush is so going to ƒuck-up the US over the next 4 years were virtually gauranteed that that a Democrat will get into the White House in 2008.
    That the only positive thing I can think of.

I'd have to agree, I think they will end up with a similar situation to the UK, all they have to do there to put nails in the tory coffin is to say...."remember Maggie" she did a job internally on the tories which will take them years to recover from unfortunately this gives Blair a chance to do what he wants in the knowledge that the tories wont be voted back in.
    There will be changes made consolidating the supreme court as a republican stronghold but that will effect them internally and not so much foreign policy wise, I say they get what they deserve, hang on in there for 4 years and I think we are assured democrats will prevail for at least three terms after.

Nader Supporters Blame Electoral Defeat On Bush, Kerry
    The onion.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd agree with the Corinthian, were it not for the UK's resistance to a harmonised EU foreign policy. Any move that would do so would most likely spur the UK to withdraw from the EU (especially since it seems to be that tabloids like The Sun dictate foreign policy to the masses), and that could be a very bad thing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mr_angry wrote:
    I'd agree with the Corinthian, were it not for the UK's resistance to a harmonised EU foreign policy. Any move that would do so would most likely spur the UK to withdraw from the EU (especially since it seems to be that tabloids like The Sun dictate foreign policy to the masses), and that could be a very bad thing for Ireland.
    Ireland has long been in-between a rock and a hard place, and to be perfectly honest, it’s no ones fault but our own. Irish neutrality has long been predicated upon the untruth that we were neutral as we didn’t want to take sides, when in reality we want to take every side (especially the one that wins). So that in practical terms our neutrality in WWII extended to us supplying British ships on our eastern coast and German U-boats on our western coast. As such that we are happy to turn a blind eye to troop massive transportation via Shannon is not really a break from our particular brand of neutrality.

Unfortunately the problem arises when we are forced to choose between two sides. As we’ve been profiting from both, we will almost certainly lose out on balance. So were the UK to leave the EU, which is unlikely in the next four years - but you never can tell - we would essentially have immense pressure placed on us to chose between the Anglo-American and European blocs, and for the reason I highlighted previously, I can’t see either option benefiting us at present, TBH.

Advertisement