Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update Madness

• 03-11-2004 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I had a fun evening last night.

I thought it would be great to run windows update for once and catch up on those little security patches that we all know and love. Little did i know that the big evil microsoft corp had it in for me!

I ran windows update using VNC from work on my home comp. Came home to find it stuck in a reboot cycle. Something had gone wrong somewhere, causing windows to crash (BSOD) and thus reboot (default option in windows) about 30 seconds after it loaded up. Lovely says I.

Spent a good few hours trying to troubleshoot it, thinking it may have been incompatible drivers, or incompatible software, or some spy/malware loading up at the start. Eventually just gave up completely and uninstalled the 9 files that WU had installed for me. Problem solved. Still not exactly the evening i had planned for myself!

Damn you microsoft, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

Googled for this and couldnt find any solutions or even anyone that had the same problem. I was getting the lovely "This computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" message. 0x0000008E was the code. No drivers mentioned.

Anyone else come across this before? Quite annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Common problem with Windows updates. When was the last time you updated? Is sp2 installed?

I don’t really believe in updates from windows (Not since they released that s**t call SP2) unless its a software update like Win media player 10 NOT a security patch.

All you need is a good Firewall, Antivirus, (Like BitDefender pro 8 or Panda) spyware , adware. and a decent web browser like Opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Boro wrote:
    0x0000008E was the code.

yes!! see the thread here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2044247

I'd tend to agree SP for some machines seems to be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Boro wrote:

I thought it would be great to run windows update for once and catch up on those little security patches that we all know and love. Little did i know that the big evil microsoft corp had it in for me!

I ran windows update using VNC from work on my home comp. Came home to find it stuck in a reboot cycle. Something had gone wrong somewhere, causing windows to crash (BSOD) and thus reboot (default option in windows) about 30 seconds after it loaded up. Lovely says I.

I was getting the lovely "This computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" message. 0x0000008E was the code. No drivers mentioned.

As it happens, yes: when I loaded up SP2 I went through this or something very similar, eventually by trial and error finding that disabling the virtual video adapter installed by NetSupport [similar to VNC in this case I am zhinking] sorted it all out. Perhaps there is a similar virtual device wih VNC somewhere.

Hope this helps,
    /MK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

jessy wrote:
    Common problem with Windows updates. When was the last time you updated? Is sp2 installed?

I don’t really believe in updates from windows (Not since they released that s**t call SP2) unless its a software update like Win media player 10 NOT a security patch.

All you need is a good Firewall, Antivirus, (Like BitDefender pro 8 or Panda) spyware , adware. and a decent web browser like Opera
    Last time i updated stuff, probably about 6 months ago..
    normally keep quite up to date on the security patches.

SP2... god no! not going to touch that thing until it settles down a bit...
    i only install security stuff, not those 'optional' extras

zonealarm, avg, spybot, ad-aware, opera... well ahead of ya jessy :D

Advertisement