Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Funny indicators problem

Options
  • 03-11-2004 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

My indicators work fine until I touch the break pedal, at which point they go off. When the break is released the indicator comes back on. In other words the break light seems to be overriding the indicator. Any idea what would cause this / how would I sort it out? It's a 94 Golf.

And yes, I know I should bring it to a mechanic to fix, but I need the car every day to get to work so can't leave it in anywhere.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

probably a dodgy earth somewhere (around the light cluster I suspect).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any idea what colour the earth would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Best option is to chech the wiring around the rear light clusters, particularly where the earth wires are connected to the body (you probably know this already but just in case you don't - electrical systems on cars tend to use the car body as the negative/earth leaving just the positive wiring to be routed around the car with short negative/earth wires just leading to a suitable part of the body work where they can be screwed down). Look for signs of corrosion on the terminals and the screws. Check if it happens when both indicators are on or just one side, that will be your clue as to which side to start on. If anything is corroded, get out your emory cloth and sand it down or replace the connector. Even if there doesn't seem to be vivible signs of corrosion, unscrew the earth connections and screw them back in, this may restore the connection where the corrosion is between the thread faces.

Thanks! It happens on both sides. Which colour wire is the earth? I'll have a shifty and see which one connects to the body...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

magpie wrote:
    Thanks! It happens on both sides. Which colour wire is the earth? I'll have a shifty and see which one connects to the body...
    1. what kind of car?
    2. it doesn't matter. the wires going to your rear light cluster will be bundled together. take a good look at all the wires and look for anything that shouldn't be! Also look at the fittings where the bulbs sit into the cluster, etc. Basically everything should be nice and neat, there should be no corrosion or cuts or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

did you do anything with the car recently? changed bulbs or something?

Had a fiddle around with the wires in the light clusters at the back and it now seems to be working again (though a little intermittent). I suppose I'll just have to re-check all the connections to find the problem (yawn). Thanks for the help guys. It may be related to jamming stuff into the boot methinks.

Advertisement