Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 domain naming?

• 03-11-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering what is the correct way of naming internal Windows 2000 domains to prevent DNS problems etc.
    Typically it would be one or two Windows 2000 domain controllers, a load of client PCs and a firewall/router for Internet access. We wouldn't be hosting a DNS server for our actually website or anything, DNS would just be for internal name resolution and forwarding internal requests for say google.ie to an external DNS server, maybe Eircom's.
    We were naming our Windows 2000 domains the same as the actual website/email domain. So suppose we had the domain abc.ie registered, then we'd call the internal domain abc.ie and hence the server would be server.abc.ie and PCs pc1.abc.ie. The problem with this is if a user tries to go to say http://abc.ie they get to the server (server.abc.ie) not the external website as intended. This is a bigger problem when using IEInternet for POP email hosting because you set your POP and SMTP servers in Outlook to your domain name (abc.ie) but of course abc.ie will resolve to the local server's IP (say 192.168.1.1), not what IEInternet intended!
    So another idea would be to use the domain local.abc.ie so your server would be server.local.abc.ie but I was on a site the other day that we set up like that ages ago and there seemed to be serious DNS issues. I'm wondering if the Windows DNS server was forwarding on requests to Eircom's server that were intended to be local lookups. Not sure why, it's just a guess :D.

So what is the RIGHT way to name a domain in this instance. I've read you should use say abc.lan because it will never be an external address, so server would be server.abc.lan....

Thanks for any ideas!

Philip

Advertisement