Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT Post-Election news...

Options
  • 03-11-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

...ok I lied, but maybe this will get some attention.

I'll make this short and sweet.....

The election progress/results are no excuse for anyone to be uncivil in this forum.

In the past half hour I've received over a half-dozen reported post notifications. Some were merited, others seem to be just that people want to report anyone who doesn't agree with their view of the election.

I've tried reading through the threads, but I can't keep up, and frankly...I've a job to do in the real world too.

So it works like this. I'm going to read those threads this evening. Any abuse, by any poster on any election-relevant thread on this forum with a post-date later than this message will result in a permanent ban.

If you've got a problem with this, then I suggest you don't post to this forum for a few days until we clear the tempermental idiots out, and that way, you won't get caught in the crossfire.

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me foresees major cull of "minor players".

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just to say I am in a similar position to Bonkey regarding work commitments. But god help anyone who crosses the line from now onwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

May I please suggest something similar to the soccer forums access rights? Stop this type of idiocy and trolling and allow some serious discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

May I please suggest something similar to the soccer forums access rights? Stop this type of idiocy and trolling and allow some serious discussion?
    Of course you can - in the feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

while we are at it we might as well draw up the boards.ie version of the patriot act.

banning people who are crossing the line is one thing. Access requests on a politics forum is quite another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Memnoch wrote:
    banning people who are crossing the line is one thing. Access requests on a politics forum is quite another.
    We'll restrict it to land owners - or maybe domain registrants as a web equivalent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Please be good, God is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm with bonkey on the possible stomping. This can be such a civil place at times yet today is an exception. And I'm going through threads now and Mr Ban Hammer is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BEGIN THE PURGING! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm telling you.

Mishmash, merge all threads together. I did it before. It's great. You get a 500-post thread, and none of it makes any sense, so non-one can reply to it, and thus all spamming stops.

Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

but then no one understands it so it is spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it dies gracefully.

Don't give me cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

seamus wrote:
    Mishmash, merge all threads together. I did it before. It's great. You get a 500-post thread, and none of it makes any sense, so non-one can reply to it, and thus all spamming stops.
    You should try that theory out on [strike]spam-central*[/strike] your new modship. Somehow I can't see it stopping much there!

*PI excluded obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Don't think it is just boards. Watched interviews in the US this morning. Clearly a lot of p!ssed off people.

Even the Onion seems to be a bit miffed with...
    "God Puts His Tool Back Into Office"
    "Despite Republican Victory, Bush Supporter Has Tiny, Tiny Penis"

Micheal Moore sit is closed. http://www.michaelmoore.com/

Moveon.org seems to have vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭silver_p

bonkey wrote:
    ...ok I lied, but maybe this will get some attention.

I'll make this short and sweet.....

The election progress/results are no excuse for anyone to be uncivil in this forum.

In the past half hour I've received over a half-dozen reported post notifications. Some were merited, others seem to be just that people want to report anyone who doesn't agree with their view of the election.

I've tried reading through the threads, but I can't keep up, and frankly...I've a job to do in the real world too.

So it works like this. I'm going to read those threads this evening. Any abuse, by any poster on any election-relevant thread on this forum with a post-date later than this message will result in a permanent ban.

If you've got a problem with this, then I suggest you don't post to this forum for a few days until we clear the tempermental idiots out, and that way, you won't get caught in the crossfire.

jc

this place is worse than primary school for gods sakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Hobbes wrote:
    Even the Onion seems to be a bit miffed with...
    "God Puts His Tool Back Into Office"
    "Despite Republican Victory, Bush Supporter Has Tiny, Tiny Penis"
    Grrrr, a prime example of the smug biased liberal Wisconsin media elite having no respect for democracy or god. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Grrrr, a prime example of the smug biased liberal Wisconsin media elite having no respect for democracy or god. :mad:
    You are joking, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

You are joking, right?
    Anyone who mercilessly mocks the decision of the people is a freedom hating foetus raping taliban crackhead liberal marilyn manson cd consuming homo. And should be brought to justice (destroyed) by the department of christian revolutionary justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

what about when people say lets hope Bush gets assisanted, is that being looked at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Should it be?

I would have a problem with someone suggesting that someone should be assassinated....but I haven't seen anyone go that far.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

look at page 3 in the Say something nice about Bush thread, there a few posts there like that

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Anyone who mercilessly mocks the decision of the people is a freedom hating foetus raping taliban crackhead liberal marilyn manson cd consuming homo. And should be brought to justice (destroyed) by the department of christian revolutionary justice.
    Your serious then?!
    bonkey wrote:
    Should it be?

I would have a problem with someone suggesting that someone should be assassinated....but I haven't seen anyone go that far.
    Bloody right! Free speech and all that; anyway it's not as if anyone is *actually* going to do that. They would afto be insane.....
    *Offler loads a bullet into his H&K PSG-1.
    cooker3 wrote:
    look at page 3 in the Say something nice about Bush thread, there a few posts there like that
    *Offler loads second bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

i think he should be tried for mass-murder in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Free speech and all that.

How many times do I need to remind people that you don't have, nor are you entitled to, freedom of consequence.

You can say what you like. I can ban you for it if it crosses the line.

Now don't push me.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    How many times do I need to remind people that you don't have, nor are you entitled to, freedom of consequence.
    I thought the humor was pretty obvious. I mean...."Free speech and all that"; that level of embellishment is worthy of a five year old :)

Advertisement