Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME... Again!!! Accessing Phone Book

Options
  • 03-11-2004 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Anyone know off hand is it possible to access the phone book on a nokia through a java applicaton?

Is everyone in Ireland doing their final year project in J2ME?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ballooba wrote:
    Anyone know off hand is it possible to access the phone book on a nokia through a java applicaton?
    No. You can do it with WAP, via the WTA interface, but I’m almost certain that no implementation of J2ME allows it.
    Is everyone in Ireland doing their final year project in J2ME?
    And what does that say to you about oversupply in a particular skill in the labour market next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

True but a lot of people in my class are using J2ME which means that if I run into difficulty there should be a lot of experts around and likewise if some of them run into difficulty I may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'd agree with the Corinthian on this, i tried it last year and couldn't find anyway around doing it.

And about the J2ME projects, i've noticed a big increase in them alright i done my one in 3rd year ;) .

Farlz

ballooba wrote:
    True but a lot of people in my class are using J2ME which means that if I run into difficulty there should be a lot of experts around and likewise if some of them run into difficulty I may be able to help.
    I think you're missing the point of what oversupply in the labour market means. As for 'experts' - very droll.

Not missing your point. Just more concerned that I get a good degree than that I get a job relevant to what I did for my final year project.

• Advertisement

As for 'experts' - very droll.

Hardly, If I run into a problem i'd rather be in a room with 15 other people who might be able to help than be sitting there on my toblerone.

ballooba wrote:
    Not missing your point. Just more concerned that I get a good degree than that I get a job relevant to what I did for my final year project.
    I never said that you should not aim for a ‘good degree’, I simply said that if a large number of graduates appear on the market with J2ME as their party piece (and possibly all wanting jobs developing for J2ME) then it becomes a supply and demand issue.
    Hardly, If I run into a problem i'd rather be in a room with 15 other people who might be able to help than be sitting there on my toblerone.
    Doing a final year project on something does not make you or any of your 15 classmates ‘experts’.

Didn't literally mean experts.

Also I haven't forgotten that you have been working with this stuff for years.

Didn't you work with dialaring or someone when they started up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Back to topic:
    there is JSR 75, an optional addition to J2ME, supported on some very new phones that provides access via javax.microedition.pim, that is meant to provide access to contact lists and similar.

Otherwise you need some hodge podge using symbian c++ to retrieve and present the info, using some network protocol?

Cheers Ressem,

I'll look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Surrido

Hi,

I am looking for a way to identify the type of the mobile phone (e.g. Nokia 6600) via J2ME. Is it possible to retrieve this information?

I know that it is possible to access this information via AT modem commands. however, i want to get this info via J2ME.

any suggestions??

cheers Surrido

ballooba wrote:
    Didn't literally mean experts.
    In fairness you shouldn’t have used the term then.
    Didn't you work with dialaring or someone when they started up?
    Nope. Around a little longer than that, TBH.

Advertisement