Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers: All-in-one or router+ethernet modem?

• 03-11-2004 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭

I'm helping network a few computers for a charity and put them on the internet. They have got Eircom broadband, it's not what I necessarily would have advised and despite going for the engineer-install I had to come in to actually make it work on even a single computer, but it's done now. With Eircom they got one of those blue Netopia USB+Ethernet DSL modems.

I'm thinking of getting them this Cnet WiFi router from Komplett, primarily because it's cheap (€50) and they already have the ethernet modem. I'd much prefer to set them up with an all-in one box like the Netgear DG824M/DG834M, but the cheapest I can see this is the DG834M on Elara for €160 (DG824M is discontinued) which is over €100 in the difference. An all-in-one box is however less complexity, fewer things to go wrong/configure, fewer things to plug in, have sitting on your shelf, etc.

I like the Netgear in particular as I've installed this at work and home and am familiar with it; however any all-in-one, from D-Link, 3Com, etc. would suit fine, or even a second/third-tier brand if it was cheap. I've used a CNet USB WiFi adapter before which worked absolutely fine, so I don't necessarily have a problem with them, it's mainly that I'd prefer an all-in-one box.

So a few questions:

- Has anyone any experience of these CNet routers, and will it likely work with the Nettopia?
    - Anyone know of cheap source for an all-in-one ADSL router, preferably with Wifi?
    - If anyone wants to sell a secondhand all-in-one like the DG824M, I'd be interested.
    - What price would they get for the Nettopia if they tried to sell this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

If you're with eircom anyway, why not get the wireless router that they are offering for €49.99? Go to www.eircom.ie and click on the "eircom wireless broadband at home" link for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ripwave wrote:
    If you're with eircom anyway, why not get the wireless router that they are offering for €49.99? Go to www.eircom.ie and click on the "eircom wireless broadband at home" link for details.
    That sounds like a good idea - I'll get them to do that. Does anyone know how many wired ethernet ports there are on this router? I'd need at least two, and would still have to put a switch in another room. (Actually I'll give Eircom a ring and check.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My god Eircom sales don't have a clue. Half an hour and he had no idea what the model number was, how many ports, etc. Luckily support were much more helpful, and were able to give me the model no, tell me it has 4 ports, etc. Have ordered it from Eircom - now to sit back and hope that it arrives... (and that it doesn't start incurring a charge for the first two months which are meant to be free).

Advertisement