Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap weekend break january

• 03-11-2004 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

hey anyone recommend a destination for a weekend away in early january. must be cheap!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Brussels!

You can fly with Ryanair and get accomodation with one of the many sites posted in one of the stickies above.....

No foreign exchange, extra strong beer...what more could you want?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Would also recomend Brussels.
    It's a great city even though I was only there for one day. About that "big building with the balls" [ sorry if i'm too technical, but I can't remember it's name]: it looks good from outside, don't bother going in, it's empty.

Barcelona is another good one.

Haven't been but Amsterdam is good I hear again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah - Brussels is lovely - lots to do.

And he's right - the 'Atomium' is a rip-off - nothing inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

ok so your making me so curious about the Atomium i am actualy going to go in!!has anyone being to paris?if so is it really expensive,iv heard mixed reports.has anyone being to prague?if so is it cheap,again ive heard mixed reports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

paris can be expensive but you if you use your head you can get some good deals too. Ryanair and aerlingus are good for flights and IBIS give some competitive hotel rates. If you're comfortable with the metro you can get rooms for €40 a bit outside the centre city, near port de clichy (iirc)

City itself is nice and if you avoid all the tourist traps (and Irish Pubs) you can have a really good time on a shoestring budget. If you're into a drinking holidy try the '"insert name" (eg: fiddle) & firkin' chain of pubs. English pubs with the cheapest proper pints in paris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

ok so your making me so curious about the Atomium i am actualy going to go in!!has anyone being to paris?if so is it really expensive,iv heard mixed reports.has anyone being to prague?if so is it cheap,again ive heard mixed reports!

If you are not careful Paris can be quiet pricey, it's easy to fall into the tourist traps. However you can get some great deals when eating out, for example in the Latin Quarter, Rue Du Pot De Fer (just off Rue Mouffetard, Metro Place Monge) is a pedestrian street with loads of restaurants each with set 3 course menus ranging in price from €9 to €25, much better value than you would ever get in Ireland, I am sure the city is full of other areas just like it.
    In the little cafes and bars it is about 33% cheaper to have a coffee or a drink while standing at the bar that sitting down.

A good site for hotels in http://www.france-hotel-guide.com

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭grasshopper

there direct, cheap flight to prague with www.smartwings.com check it out, always good to get the hell out of this country for a long weekend.

there direct, cheap flight to prague with www.smartwings.com check it out, always good to get the hell out of this country for a long weekend.

http://www.smartwings.net/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

paris can be expensive but you if you use your head you can get some good deals too. Ryanair and aerlingus are good for flights and IBIS give some competitive hotel rates. If you're comfortable with the metro you can get rooms for €40 a bit outside the centre city, near port de clichy (iirc)

City itself is nice and if you avoid all the tourist traps (and Irish Pubs) you can have a really good time on a shoestring budget. If you're into a drinking holidy try the '"insert name" (eg: fiddle) & firkin' chain of pubs. English pubs with the cheapest proper pints in paris

Went to Paris last year and had a ball! As Savemejebus says, if you avoid the tourist traps you can have a great break for half nothing. We flew Ryan Air and got a hotel one stop away from Porte Maillot where the bus drops you off.

http://www.ratp.fr/

(This is a link to an interactive metro map)

Arrived on Thurs. Went to EuroDisney on Friday. Had a ball, was really christmassey! Sat went shopping, Sunday went on the river boats and walked from Notre Dame to the Arc de Triomphe. Monday came home....

There was a great restaurant 5 mins from the hotel, we ate like kings for 25.00 plus wine....

S

thanks guys, as for ryanair, they fly to beauvais(spelling?) does that not add to the cost of actually getting to paris???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

it's not too bad actually. am doing some research on this at the moment and found a fking brilliant hotel, really classy and in the centre of the city. It's rates are pretty good it's called hotel du levant, google for it and it'll come up. Have talked to people that stayed there and they say its great.

So it's typical that the place is booked up for when i want to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Its pricey enough to get to Paris central from CDG also, about 18 euro return if my memory is working correctly. Very nice city, but as echoed already can be pricey if you arent careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

it's not too bad actually. am doing some research on this at the moment and found a fking brilliant hotel, really classy and in the centre of the city. It's rates are pretty good it's called hotel du levant, google for it and it'll come up. Have talked to people that stayed there and they say its great.

So it's typical that the place is booked up for when i want to go

That hotel is right in the middle of a maze of streets full of resturants, great deals as all are trying to out do the other. My girlfriend and I ate there a few weeks ago, after our meal I decided to look at the Lonely Planet to see what it said about the area. "Avoid it," it said, it's nickenamed 'bacteria alley', apparently many of the resturants are dodgy, we both are still alive though.

ok im actually going to old trafford, manchester on the 4 of january for a game now!! so anyone know cheap hotels near the stadium?

Have a look at the hotels section on the Aerlingus or Ryanair website - there's a pretty good choice - someone on Boards recommended it to me.

Advertisement