Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points affect Insurance Premiums

Options
  • 03-11-2004 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows if getting penalty points will affect the insurance premiums? I am with Quinn Direct.

com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad's premium went up by €70 after he went to renew this year and told them he had 4 penalty points.....rang around for a few quotes & ended up saving €150 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭robo

fletch wrote:
    My Dad's premium went up by €70 after he went to renew this year and told them he had 4 penalty points.....rang around for a few quotes & ended up saving €150 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

€70 wasn't too much of an increase, but a saving of €150 was even better. So insurance isn't really affected by penalty points...so we can speed all we want(sarcasm)...unreal really! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I posted here about my insurance premium with and without declaring points. If you don't declare the points and you have an accident your excess is about €2500, depending on your company.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FX Meister wrote:
    I posted here about my insurance premium with and without declaring points. If you don't declare the points and you have an accident your excess is about €2500, depending on your company.
    Ooh that's sneaky. Obviously Penalty Points don't fall under what's considered to be reasonable disclosure of information (ie something that can invalidate your insurance if not declared), so they've found a way around IT.

With Hibernian the way they word it is that you get a 10% discount with 2 points and a 17.5% discount with no points. If you go for the full 17.5% they actually check your license. A friend of mine hasn't declared his points, his premium is high enough as he has a V6 Litre so I presume the points would shove it up a good bit more. I don't know whether they check your points situation then after you have a crash. I'd hate to be in an accident of my own fault and end up having to fork out €2500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i thought it was a 10% discount for telling them that you have no points and an extra 7.5% if you give them your license number so they can check it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

robo wrote:
    €70 wasn't too much of an increase, but a saving of €150 was even better. So insurance isn't really affected by penalty points...so we can speed all we want(sarcasm)...unreal really! :mad:
    €70 is quite alot when his premium was only €650 originally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I renewed back in May with 2 points. When i hit the phone for quotes, I didnt declare points unless specifically asked. Having go the cheapest quote, i then told them i had 2 points - they werent interested either way.

So, i suppose it depends on the insurance company...but i dont think its a big deal till you have 6+ points on board.

That's not what they said over the phone Dan. But then why would someone who claims they have no points have a problem with having their license checked if they are telling the truth?

I'm currently with axa through quoteline, when I told them I had four points it made no difference to the premium they offered me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is the procedure with Hibernian?
    Do they ask for your licence number? Have they unlimited access to your details then throughout the duration of your policy? What about after your policy with them expires?
    What happens if you allow them to look up your points but do not finally take a policy from them - can they still look at your points details?

• Advertisement

I'm sure they can still look at your details but I doubt they would bother. Surely it's just some dude in an office and they probably have enough work to do without checking up some faceless persons details. I called them 18 months ago regarding a wa*ker driving around with someone elses policy modified to look like it was his and they said they couldn't really be bothered doing anything about it. The guy lived in the same house as the the real policy holder. Another Roma gypsie scam.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FX Meister wrote:
    I'm sure they can still look at your details but I doubt they would bother.
    Something like this would be a marketing gift for them. They are able to do mailshots to people who are not existing customers but who have no points or whatever.
    Personally I don't want them having access to this kind of info. I don't believe it does anything to improve the market (Hibs quote for me this year was yet again higher then ever before despite having no points yet.).

Yeah I can see where you're coming from KB. Often when I call insurance companies though I give a false name and address, I hate the fact they need to know everything about you for even a quote.

Advertisement