Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillary Clinton must be the only Democrat happy today.

Options
  • 03-11-2004 1:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As she has a good chance to run in 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

From speaking to americans (who were democrats) I dont think she would stand a chance of winning, they said she wasnt very well liked outside NY (I think thats where shes based). Then again it also depends on what happens to america over the next four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Don't think she's stand a chance either.
    She's waaaay too liberal for America at the moment.
    What about John Edwards
    Nice clean cut fellow.
    If he behaves himself for the next few years and increases his profile might be in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd say Rudi Giulliani is a more likely victor (if he runs). While I admire Hilary, Republicans have been flinging turds in her direction for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jed Bartlett for '08!

I'll lay it on the line right now, I do not want to see Hilary run in '08. Absolutely not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bobbyjoe wrote:
    What about John Edwards
    Nice clean cut fellow.
    If he behaves himself for the next few years and increases his profile might be in with a chance.
    He's a lawyer. That'll be used to screw him over by the Republican Smear Machine. That and the fact he's too young without enough political background. Can't see it happening for him either.

As to Hilary - she may be a strong spirited woman, but, as said, she's a liberal and offers nothing to the States who have avowed to go with the neo-con views of Bush.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'd say Rudi Giulliani is a more likely victor (if he runs).
    Would he get the NY vote if he did? He's a Republican after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I'd imagine that "up and coming" democratic star Barack Obama will be fairly chuffed with himself today too.

And while Hillary might be too liberal for America now, we'll see how america feels after 4 more years of ultra conservatism

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

So yank on RTE last night was talking about some mixed race guy...he said he would be the next big thing I cant remember his name.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Barak Obama has been making big waves and coasted to victory in Illinois. Unfortunately, I just don't think the US is ready for someone so "different" to take the reins.

[edit]Bullman got in before me, grrr![/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ixoy wrote:
    Would he get the NY vote if he did? He's a Republican after all.

I think his handling of New York after 9/11 might be enough to secure it for him if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

As she has a good chance to run in 2008.

...If there's anything left of the world in 2008...

Just hold on for another 10/12 years ontill Schwarzenegger gets in..... :( :rolleyes: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think his handling of New York after 9/11 might be enough to secure it for him if he did.
    Look at Bush he got tons of photo-ops after 9/11 in New York and everyone was behind him and everyone supported him. Then Iraq happened and now he's hated in NY. Ex-Major G may not actually win NY because of Bush's shadow, it will taint the right in the US for generations, unfortunately it seems as if the redneck outnumber the urban pop when it comes to the electorate college.

Dub13 wrote:
    Just hold on for another 10/12 years ontill Schwarzenegger gets in.....
    You realise that'll require a constitutional ammendment that I don't ever see getting through the conservative base, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I don't think Hillary would stand a chance in 2008.

Giulliani strikes me as the type who'd have too many skeletons in his closet. His handling of 9/11 will not be enough for him to win and by 2008 the attacks on New York etc. won't be as fresh in people's minds. I'd be very surprised if he ran.

It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, has made a name for themselves by the time the next election comes around.

You realise that'll require a constitutional ammendment that I don't ever see getting through the conservative base, right?

Yes I know that....you just never know with the US after all it would be for a Republican

Look at Bush he got tons of photo-ops after 9/11 in New York and everyone was behind him and everyone supported him. Then Iraq happened and now he's hated in NY. Ex-Major G may not actually win NY because of Bush's shadow, it will taint the right in the US for generations, unfortunately it seems as if the redneck outnumber the urban pop when it comes to the electorate college.
    But at the same time, Giulliani was in New York, he lead the city through the ensuing crisis. He kept the city together, kept services running after a number of his chiefs were killed in the tower collapses...Thats what will keep him popular.

Bush sent best regards and sympathy over the telly...

ixoy: He's a lawyer. That'll be used to screw him over by the Republican Smear Machine. That and the fact he's too young without enough political background. Can't see it happening for him either.
    Being a lawyer would definetly go against Edwards but if there is dirty surely it would have been thrown already. He could spent the next four years raising his profile and getting more involved and pointing out Bushes numerous mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DJPJ

Don't forget, there's still another Bush with eyes on the White House and you can be sure he'll have all the same backing and dirty money that his brother had - so there could be a bush in the oval office for longer than anyone thinks!

:eek:

Dub13 wrote:
    Yes I know that....you just never know with the US after all it would be for a Republican
    Republican or not, I can't see ultra-patriotic conservatives allowing someone born outside the US become President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

But at the same time, Giulliani was in New York, he lead the city through the ensuing crisis. He kept the city together, kept services running after a number of his chiefs were killed in the tower collapses...Thats what will keep him popular.

Bush sent best regards and sympathy over the telly...
    He came to NY a good bit after the event but he came and he got his support/photos. Even if he were assured NY Giuliani wouldn't run he would be too old; nearly 80? :confused: I don't think he will be the next candidate.

He came to NY a good bit after the event but he came and he got his support/photos. Even if he were assured NY Giuliani wouldn't run he would be too old; nearly 80? :confused: I don't think he will be the next candidate.
    I'm sorry, you're right. Bloomberg was the mayor at he time of the event...

Republican or not, I can't see ultra-patriotic conservatives allowing someone born outside the US become President.
    It's not just that. Arnie is a liberal-republican. He's for gun control and pro-abortion. I can't see him fitting in with the current neo-con's view. As far as I can see, Arnie - with little change to his current outlook - could switch to the Democrats. That's not someone they'd want to back.

[Edit]Maybe I shouldn't call him a liberal.. I forgot that's akin to calling him a Nazi in the current US mindset....[/Edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

I'm sorry, you're right. Bloomberg was the mayor at he time of the event...

Giuliani was mayor alright but in his final term, Bloomberg won the election in Nov '01.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I am surprised with all the nay sayers here about Hilary running for office. Are you afraid she will turn it all around? or is it because she is a woman?

I am telling you right now that if she runs in 2008 she will win, I would bet anything on it. It wouldnt be a close race either, she would win by a large margin.

She has what it takes to turn this country around (she has already done it twice ;) ) We can only hope that she steps up and runs for office, it will be the best thing to happen after 8 years of w jr playing GI Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Giulliani is considered to be on the left of the Rep party....If any Rep runs i'd like to see McCain....but he hasn't a chance of getting the rep nomination.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

BEAT wrote:
    I am telling you right now that if she runs in 2008 she will win, I would bet anything on it. It wouldnt be a close race either, she would win by a large margin.

I was thinking the same thing...

Would be great if she could run and get it.
    But in the current climate anyone who even hints at some kind of security net, social or health is branded a left wing commie looney.
    Don't think she'd be popular outside of the North East and maybe California.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm interested in the talk of Hilary Clinton being too liberal for the US. I seem to remember her railing against violence in films/video games representing parents (the problem imho) etc. Can anyone cite examples of her extreme liberalism?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

musician wrote:
    Can anyone cite examples of her extreme liberalism?
    Well she's a woman, she advocates reading (Marx probably) to young kids 20-30 minutes daily, and she's not a republican so that's pretty extreme by today's set standard.

Advertisement