Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good sci-fi books

Options
  • 20-01-2000 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for something to read. sci-fi, preferable in the Gibson style. techno-cyberpunk type stuff.
    any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not in the gibson stylee, but try the gap series by stephen donaldson.
    based on das ring der neiblung (or whatever) by wagner, which in turn is based on norse mythology...
    anyhow, its good non th less. pretty darn complex as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

any of the Iain M Banks stuff

In particular, Player of Games , Excession, State of the Art.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Neal Stephenson's books Snow Crash, Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon have been called "post-cyberpunk" They are quite good if you're looking for something to follow on from reading Gibson.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lemmy

Try Reality Dysfunction..I forget who its by but somebody said it was ****ed up.I think the second book is the neutronium alchemist or somethin like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

stay away from Banks if yr lookin for cyberpunk tech type stuff, definitely read snow crash by Neal Stephenson. I'm about halfway through Cryptonomicon which is incredible and very, very, very long. Also you might wanna check out F2F by Philip Finch which isn't bad
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752803611/qid=948452734/sr=1-2/026-22353 11-5868024

[This message has been edited by shank (edited 21-01-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: Reality Dysfunction, it's by Peter Hamilton. Good mix of SciF and Horror, but rather a long read. The 3rd part should be in PB soon "The Naked God", which hopefully will resolve the cliffhanger at the end of book2. Also recmd "2nd chance at Eden", ss set in the same universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's one called 'The Shift' which I posted about a while back, it was pretty good. Dark cyberpunk type. Can't remember author but a search will bring it up.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

i picked that one up after yr recomendation, haven't got to it yet though, it's by George Foy i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I reckon I know less then my dad about science fiction books, (damn my fingers are cold, my bus was 40 minutes late this morning- I mean it is only travelling 12.5 miles. How can it be 40 minutes behind schedule?) but I am reading a book by a gentleman by the name of Jack Vance called NIght Lamp, and I like it! You should read some of his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think I have, recognise the name. God knows what though... whats he about?

Al.

• Advertisement
Advertisement