Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper fuel hits waterford city.

Options
  • 03-11-2004 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Tesco opened up thier neww filling station on the Outer Ring Road and its already made a big difference. With all local stations on the Dunmore Rd matching them and even places on the Cork road have followed. The prices are 96 for unleaded and 92 for diesel.

from waterford-today.
    A petrol price war is raging in Waterford since Tesco on the Ring Road opened their 24 hour 7 days a week filling station. They are charging 95.9 cent per litre for unleaded petrol and 91.9 cent per litre for Diesel. According to Jenny Daniels they have been doing a very brisk trade since they opened. She also said that shoppers in any of the three Tesco stores in Waterford who spend more than £40 in their Supermarkets would receive a voucher entitling them to another 5 cent per litre off their petrol or diesel.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

wow thats some deal there

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

If I had a car I'm sure I'd be delighted;) But seriously, it is about time a bit of competition was brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Petrol stations in Finglas dropped their prices when the station in Tesco Clearwater opened. They don't match prices but they are within half a cent. This half cent is for convenience - the queues in Tesco are horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

daymobrew wrote:
    Petrol stations in Finglas dropped their prices when the station in Tesco Clearwater opened. They don't match prices but they are within half a cent. This half cent is for convenience - the queues in Tesco are horrible.

First place I saw the "Tesco Phenomenon" in action was in Killarney, the queues there are always chronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

woohoo - its 24 hours as well, as is the Tesco store as well (think thats monday to friday only though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The first Statoil on the Cork road as you go out of town was only 95.8 cent Tuesday 4cent cheaper than anyone else on that road.Don't know why!. Kilkenny is 8 cent dearer and one place is a €106.9 RipOff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The voucher you get for 5cent off every litre if you spend over €40 in the store really is great!

We do one big shop every week and now find ourselves only filling once a week, for only 90.9

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I passed that Esso on the junction of the Cork Rd and the Tramore Rd over the
    weekend and they were still at 99.9 for petrol.. :eek:

They must be struggling for business.. :rolleyes:

Bout bloody time prices started to come down.. :D

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I passed that Esso on the junction of the Cork Rd and the Tramore Rd over the
    weekend and they were still at 99.9 for petrol..

They must be struggling for business..

Sadly I bet they're not. Ppl won't travel to save it seems. That said if the prices remain lower then the message will get through eventually.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mad-blaa

TIPPTOP wrote:
    The first Statoil on the Cork road as you go out of town was only 95.8 cent Tuesday 4cent cheaper than anyone else on that road.Don't know why!. Kilkenny is 8 cent dearer and one place is a €106.9 RipOff.

Statoil actually provide the Tesco fuel, so that may be a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

mad-blaa wrote:
    Statoil actually provide the Tesco fuel, so that may be a reason.
    Is that only the case for the Waterford filling station?

Is that only the case for the Waterford filling station?
    Haven't a clue, I was told this in Dublin before they came to Waterford, and i saw them the other day refilling in waterford. :confused:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The price in Tesco today was 93.9 per litre without the discount, but Top on the Cork Road have done away with their discount card since this week and now have a price of 92.9 per litre

Excellent-a petrol price war, there is a god!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Stright across the college on the cork road the price for unleaded is now 92.5c just saw that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

93.9 staoil, and 93.9 Shell on cork rd

Good to see the message is getting through.

Mike.

92.6 in Texaco on Cork Road and 92.9 in top also on Cork Rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

fair play tesco's .
    u cant beat the real deal 88.9 with coupon

This getter better! 89.9c and the 5c off is back, would would have thought you could get petrol for 84.9c, Yippee!

• Advertisement

I have a Tesco shopping receipt and I'm filling her up tomorrow! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

*bump*

They finally got a <insert technical name for big feckin board with prices on it :)> put up on the edge of the roundabout there at tesco's on the ring road. It's the only station I've seen between Waterford and Wexford in the last 6 months with petrol less than 90c/l.

Unleaded is now 89.9
    Diesel is 88.x

Didn't see the exact diesel price because I was staring at the 89.9 in disbelief.

edit

Just saw the second page with my reply coming up - what's that about a 5c off?

Out in Tesco this evening and its now

Unleaded 88.5c
    Diesel 87.9c

So with the voucher you could knock another 5c p/l of those prices.

Also just noticed that the only other garage to drop to this price so far is the Shell garage over in Ferrybank.

Jaeger wrote:

Just saw the second page with my reply coming up - what's that about a 5c off?

The 5c off offer is when you spend €40.00 or more in the supermarket they issue you with a voucher which gives you 5c of the price per ltr of pertrol or diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

> They finally got a <insert technical name for big feckin board with prices on it > put up

That would be a 'Totem' !

Waterford is probably the cheapest place in the country for petrol thank God. I've got two vehicles, one with a 4.0 and the other a 4.2L, and they drink it.

The two stations just outside New Ross, Texaco and EMO are cheap too.

Conversely, I was in Sligo recently and there are stations there selling juice for 111c per litre! Robbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

top station on cork road past new roundabout has unleaded @ 89.9

It's down again, 86.9c, I LOVE TESCO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

at the end of the day tesco are robbing bast$£%. the only reason theyre selling fuel at near cost is to sell u a load of over priced groceries at the same time.
    when they do all the competition out of business there prices will rise again.

Its just over 2 months now since Tesco opened, and their price of unleaded has dropped 9cent in that time. One wonders if Tesco had not opened would there have been such a price drop.

Remember those 3 garages on the Dunmore Rd were 103.9 before Tesco opened. The Statoil on the Dunmore Rd was also 86.9 this afternoon. So thats a reduction of 17cent in two months

• Advertisement

Just a bump to say if you're on the roads heading through Kilkenny fill up in Waterford first. I was in and about the other county today and saw prices as high as 1.17 per ltr of unleaded! Even in Kilkenny town places were charging 1.13-1.15.

Shocking when you consider the typical in Waterford City is about 1.03.

Mike.

Advertisement