Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper fuel hits waterford city.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Aye, where the rest of Ireland was subtlely increasing their prices by a cent or two here or there, Waterford was locked in a Fuel Price war... well War is hardly a good description as it was more like a flock of sheep, what one sheep did, the rest followed! In that time instead of subtledly increasing their prices they were drastically decreasing them in order to remain competitive and now they have to do a lot to "catch up" on the rest of Ireland.

But you have to ask the question, If Petrol Stations are operation with a healthy profit in Waterford, why are the rest of Ireland being extremely greedy and charging as already stated in this thread up to 1.17 for unleaded? You also have the Hauliers blaming the government for the high prices! Granted 66% goes to the government which is pretty high but at the way Ireland is going at the moment, even if they reduced the tax, the petrol station would still find an excuse to RAISE them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

But you have to ask the question, If Petrol Stations are operation with a healthy profit in Waterford, why are the rest of Ireland being extremely greedy and charging as already stated in this thread up to 1.17 for unleaded?
    Because muppets continue to use them regardless of price. A couple of months ago the Esso station beside Morrises was charging 1.07 (I think they're at 1.12 or something now), the Statoil 250m away was charging .99. Esso was still doing a roaring trade.

As somebody said, the stations themselves are like sheep. The two in Tramore were charging a healthy 1.01 until last week, then as if by magic both upped their prices to 1.05 overnight.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

JMcL wrote:
    Because muppets continue to use them regardless of price. A couple of months ago the Esso station beside Morrises was charging 1.07 (I think they're at 1.12 or something now), the Statoil 250m away was charging .99. Esso was still doing a roaring trade.

As somebody said, the stations themselves are like sheep. The two in Tramore were charging a healthy 1.01 until last week, then as if by magic both upped their prices to 1.05 overnight.

John
    Well they are both owned by Tommy Farrel which could explain it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Well they are both owned by Tommy Farrel which could explain it :)
    It would I guess :). Are you sure the Maxol out the road a bit is owned by him as well? They always differed by a couple of cents until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Castle ESSO station by Morris' is due to be closed and the site sold off, ESSO are selling about 30 forecourts I think, round the country. So they prolly don't care what they're charging!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Just a bump to alert drivers to lower prices, Shell on Ferrybank are 102c and Tesco Arkeen 103c for unleaded.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Its a pity somebody like Waterford Today doesn't feature "This week's cheapest petrol and diesel" every week. Just do a daily survey of whatever, a dozen petrol stations. Take an average of their prices for the week and name the cheapest stations for both fuels. The free publicity would be a fair carrot to dangle in front of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Its a pity somebody like Waterford Today doesn't feature "This week's cheapest petrol and diesel" every week. Just do a daily survey of whatever, a dozen petrol stations. Take an average of their prices for the week and name the cheapest stations for both fuels. The free publicity would be a fair carrot to dangle in front of them.

I think they care about making up the space of ads.

I think most of that paper is ads and not really any "News" paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the "paper" is free then they need as many ads as possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Then whats the point of the paper? It surves **** all purpose in my opinion!

In Tramore, we had a free "paper" as such called the "Tramore Strand" (I think) and while it had ads, it had lots of interesting news to report, pictures etc. It really was great and served much more a purpose then the Waterford Today. It came out weekly too.

But then they got bored and gave up on the idea :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Waterford Today's only real purpose for me was when it told me if anything half decent was going to be happening in the Forum

i dont get it delivered anymore sadly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i dont get it delivered anymore sadly

You should be happy, I consider it spam and they should be fined for needlessly preducing waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Its down to 100.9 at the Shell garage in ferrybank.

Tesco down to 99.9c :)

Now if only the euro would gain some value against the dollar we could see 95 cent again.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Now if only the euro would gain some value against the dollar we could see 95 cent again.

ssshhh! Don't say that I'm off on my holidays tomorrow!

The Shell garage in Ferrybank is down to 99.9, wonder if the prices will drop even more over the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

The petrol Station opposite the park is also 99.9

Shell in ferrybank is now down to 99.5.

The Shell in Ferrybank is now down to 98.5, Tescos Ardkeen is still 99.9.

Tesco down to 98.9 for unleaded, 99.9 diesel.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Tesco down again to 97.9

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Tesco down again to 97.9

Mike.
    They are really leading the way in the south east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

So Tesco Ardkeen is cheaper, but tesco in Dublin is still 102.9! Wonder why that is?!

So Tesco Ardkeen is cheaper, but tesco in Dublin is still 102.9! Wonder why that is?!
    Laws of economics, Supply and demand, what the market will bear.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bond-007 wrote:
    They are really leading the way in the south east.

Not actually true. This is the first time since the prices began to fall, that Tesco has taken the lead. Shell in Ferrybank has been the cheapest all along. I would safely say that before today is out Shell will again be lower that Tesco.

All I know it that we seem to have the cheapest fuel in the country! :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    All I know it that we seem to have the cheapest fuel in the country! :)

Mike.

Its great isn't it. Hopefully it will stay that way. Oh and it looks like I was wrong about Shell lowering their price today, As of 6pm they were still holding at 98.3 and the forecourt is still full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

But who's going to drive from Ferrybank to Ardkeen to fill up for 0.4ppl. They won't change that until their competitors (Tesco) get positive publicity for being cheaper.

Tesco dont need any publicity, |I was there at 12.10 am on Sunday morning and there were 4 cars filling up.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Even at 8.30 in the morning there wil be about 4 or 5 cars filling up. Sure look at the Shell in ferrybank, the place is always busy and accross the road in the statoil theres no one there, how does your man do any business anyway?

Advertisement