Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigrating from America to . . . Ireland? Suggestions, please.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

You realy need to plan things carefully when you move over here - do not rely on a holiday to make you feel that you know Ireland, a holiday is still a holiday and the rose tinted glasses are on. Beat has the best advise here. There are several things that you need to do if and when you move over. Do not listen to the recruitment companies who say that there are loads of jobs over here. You need to have a physical job in the hand along with the work permit for starters. Does the company that you work for have an Irish division? If so, you might see if you could get a transfer. Please consider things very carefully and above all follow the oficial procedures. Americans are loved for the most part over here - there are few of us who do not have relatives in the States but Ireland and Europe in general are very different from the US. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

galway is a gr8 place to live, been living here 8yrs myself, fantastic place with gr8 ppl and talent;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This appears to be moveable so over to travel/Holidays it goes (can't think of somewhere better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eelpie

Essey wrote:
    I'm sorry honey - are you sure your American??? Usually Americans dont use euphuisms such are:
    Motor car
    Garda
    Cheers
    "my needs are simple"
    You wouldnt be a Paddy on the sly now would ye?? Trying to fool these good folks now - shame on you!

If you had read closely you'd have noticed the time I'd spent living in and working out of the UK. I am, as noted, not the usual American.

And what do you call the Garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

netwhizkid wrote:
    Your an American so don't be surprised to get the cold-shoulder,

I was prepared to forgive and forget america over bush If Kerry got elected, now he's re-elected no doubt he cheated, Why should we welcome americans,
    regards netwhizkid

Do You ever think b4 you rant you moron. You probably do not remember the 80's do you, when hordes of people left ireland to go to america. Most of us with nothing did not get the cold shoulder. How come Haughey got elected as far as i am concerned he would be bushes bum chum, I think I am beginning to realize why the Kerryman joke lives on . :D:D:D

I came back 2 yrs ago for a wedding saw so many people thiers arses getting too soft from sitting on a nice comfy sofa.

Forget about being an anglophile and all the soundbyte crap about people, the irish are the same as anyone else they are people. Good luck to You in what ever you decide there are plenty of good people over there just like there are plenty of good people over here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

First and foremost...make sure you have a job and the employer has secured a work permit for you.
    Second, make sure you have enough money to live on for awhile incase it doesnt work out or something happens.
    Third, all you will need to do is register at your local guarda station when you have moved...they will give you the appropriate paperwork.
    when you arrive they will stamp your passport infoming you that you must register within 30 days but you really have 3 months.

Going on a vacation first to see what luck you might have looking for work is the best idea, set up some appointments from here and make your rounds while over and see what happens.
    Dont do what I did and go over on the assumption from several recrutiment agencies that they would be able to place me. Once you are there it is a different story.

Once all of that is said and done, relax, sit back and have a few pints, enjoy yourself.

Finding work "legally" is the hardest part, everything else comes easy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

Lets Forget about Bush/Politics in this thread and talk about the original subject. Its more important to let them know they have to drive on the wrong side of the road is it not ;)
    I am Homesick myslef at the momement. So tell me and the original poster about the place. That they can be as comfortable as the auld one on the olde time irish marmalade label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

http://www.moveoutusa.org/

i wonder how many people moved out of the usa after the first time?

chewy wrote:
    http://www.moveoutusa.org/

i wonder how many people moved out of the usa after the first time?

hehe, I did ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

aye!! welcome and beware the pints ain't cheap here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Eelpie, emigration isn't great. You'll get lonelier and lonelier for your family and friends after a few years. Your career will be less successful (according to research that I can't pull up right now), because you won't have the same network in your new country.

If you've been living in Colorado, you're going to find the weather in Ireland a sad shock; it's cold and it's wet. It's better if you *don't* drive so much, and like an outdoorsy life, because every day the weather changes a dozen times, from lashing rain to bright sunshine and balmy wind.

You'll be madly in love with your new country for the first two or three years, then it will gradually start to wear off on you and your own country will acquire a rosy tint. But having been an emigrant, you'll never feel truly at home in either country again.

If you marry an Irish person, you'll have a double pull; your spouse will feel lonely if you go back to America, you if you stay in Ireland.

But if you're determined.... your ideal place to live might be somewhere like Oughterard, outside Galway and fairly countrified, but near enough to commute.

If you want to get citizenship, it's difficult, under what we carefully don't refer to as race laws, unless you have an Irish grandparent (or a million euro to invest).

The first thing you'll need is a job. What do you work at? Just to make things more difficult, while there are job ads, a lot of jobs are passed on by word-of-mouth rather than by advertising. So try to get a job in your own trade first thing, even if it's in a lowly area - this way you'll have some form when you hear of the job you want, and you'll also be in a position to hear about it. (If you're in a trade where you can get work with an American company here, it's a good move.)

If you want to check some facts about living in Ireland before you come here, the oasis.ie government advice website is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 old97s

I think there's going to be a great movement of people outside of the US because of Bush's election. I'm so embarrassed and I'm going to Australia.
    If you're in Ireland, how do you like it?
    Joanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

my wife moved over here from America to be with me, shes been here for the past year or so, if u need any advice dont hesistate to ask just pm :). Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seant45

A person with your attitude would do better in France than Ireland. Even the Irish can see a person who is a hater, better join the Klan of some Islamic militant faction. bye now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

seant45 wrote:
    A person with your attitude would do better in France than Ireland. Even the Irish can see a person who is a hater, better join the Klan of some Islamic militant faction. bye now
    Don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 buellershow

as a Missouri resident who is sincerely looking to move to Ireland and make a new life there, might I just say that the above troll in no way represents the views of the sane Americans who are trying to leave missouri. :D

I dont know what happened to the original poster but anyone else looking for advice should follow the previous posts where I tell you to secure a job First*
    also take note that the American dollar is worth crap right now, I am just back from Ireland where I lost .40 on the dollar! So unless you are independently wealthy think twice ;)

Also, if you hear of a company willing to put out the work permit and hire Americans please give us a heads up will ye ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 buellershow

Thanks Beat for the reply. I know getting a job prior will probably be the hardest part of all this, especially for those of us who aren't highly specialized. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy either, i lead a fairly simple life.. which means i wouldn't have a lot of entanglement in the States, but also works against emigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 velvitjester

just reading one of your other posts eelpie,the first thing i would advise is not to call Ireland a colony when you come over,you yank prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't drag up old posts velvitjester. Also take a week off this forum to cool down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement