Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL upgrading to 3Mb - lowest package will be 1Mb!!

• 03-11-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Read up here. It's not for Ireland....but we usually get the NTL upgrades soon after so 3mb soon :D All I need is for NTL to upgrade my area :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I await NTL arriving in my area.. I've had enough of Netsource.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

oh yes!! :D

I hope they will be upgrading the upload speed as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Um....w00t?

What the hell will I do with 2mbit?

Of course, twill be a long while till they upgrade us. We only just recently got upgraded....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Is NTL broadband available in ranelagh\rathmines area??? anyone got it there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

seamus wrote:

It will be a struggle, certainly, but I reckon I could get used to it.... :D

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Um....w00t?

Of course, twill be a long while till they upgrade us. We only just recently got upgraded....

We got upgraded at the same time as the UK did

I reckon u could find a use for it no problemo :) no need to rent out movies, just stream them ansd set up a games server, heheheheh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

*flibble*

Please please please.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

seamus wrote:
    *flibble*

They will be introducing a CAP as part of the migration process.

20Gb for 1MB
    30GB for 2MB
    40GB for 3MB

If your set top box is old it may have to be swapped .......if you wish to stay on the slower uncapped services you could always hold onto the box :)

Gossip and Factoids are Here . Dunno what happens if you bust the CAP

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

gline wrote:

I want to know too!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Read up here. It's not for Ireland....but we usually get the NTL upgrades soon after so 3mb soon :D
    we've been upgraded the same time as the uk the last two times (which i think were the only two times), so i don't think this'll be any different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Muck wrote:
    If your set top box is old it may have to be swapped .......if you wish to stay on the slower uncapped services you could always hold onto the box

STB broadband is only used in UK
    In Ireland it's all standalone modems - most people have the ambit (silver) one

cable modems can operate well over 3 or 4 meg (I think 30 meg is around max for cable broadband although in practice I think 10meg is the highest available???) so should be no need to change the modems - just a quick change on ntl's side (that is if the increase is implemented over here all links to the u/g are uk).
    look at CaseyCable in Dungarvan - 9 meg ***uncapped*** for 40 yo-yos p/m

good to see it if it happens tho.
    might prompt the other operators to cop on with their pricing/rollout etc.

maybe then ????? :dreams:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

gline wrote:
    No, in fact there I'll go further and say that it won't happen for the forseeable future, don't believe them when they tell you a "few months" when you ring them. They've been saying that for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What about Foxrock/Leopardstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Old sh1tty cable just like Ranelagh and Rathgar . It will be done last probably , after the modern cabling areas on the Northside !

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah well, stick with IBB for a while longer so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

their aiming have most of their customers upgraded by 2005. With the way the irish do things, say 06-2005 :)

Anyway they seem to be upgrading gradually from the west to the east with lucan tallaght, then onto clondalkin & blanchardstown etc

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! looks like ranelagh/rathmines will be waiting ages :mad:

Muck wrote:
    They will be introducing a CAP as part of the migration process.

20Gb for 1MB
    30GB for 2MB
    40GB for 3MB

If your set top box is old it may have to be swapped .......if you wish to stay on the slower uncapped services you could always hold onto the box :)

Gossip and Factoids are Here . Dunno what happens if you bust the CAP

M

NTL: have not said anything about caps I guess that it has been stated unofficialy somewhere else. All they have announced is the new download speeds. No info yet on upload speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

MickFarr wrote:
    NTL: have not said anything about caps I guess that it has been stated unofficialy somewhere else. All they have announced is the new download speeds. No info yet on upload speeds
    Also in Ireland there is no *huge* need for caps because NTL don't quite have the same number of subs here as compared to the UK. Of course that could change if they actually got up off their ass and upgraded Dublin. 2006 is when I expect them to get around to Blanch - I mean after all it's only 110'000 people - YOUNG, TECH-SAVY families. For what reason would NTL ever want to upgrade Blanch for? No market after all :mad: Oh well I go back to waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I live reasonably close (Sandyford Ind Est) and have it. Very happy with it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

gline wrote:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! looks like ranelagh/rathmines will be waiting ages :mad:
    Understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

My Bro lives in one of the houses next to the Leopardstown roundabout, and NTL isn't available there yet, so I would say Foxrock is a definite no no, and I would imagine that Lep is too.

If you have NTL already, get your customer number and check whats available from the NTL site...

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Funny enough, I live in Lower Dorset street, and we can't get NTL Broadband either.
    I caled the guys yesterday, and after been ping ponged about for 15 minutes I talked to a Supervisor, who said, NTL's official statement was that they will have Broadband available to ENTIRE Dublin before THIS X-Mas.
    So fingers crossed.
    I know they have said this a few times in the past, but looking at the Works been done allover the place, it might be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Funny enough, I live in Lower Dorset street, and we can't get NTL Broadband either.
    I caled the guys yesterday, and after been ping ponged about for 15 minutes I talked to a Supervisor, who said, NTL's official statement was that they will have Broadband available to ENTIRE Dublin before THIS X-Mas.
    Ye Santa Claus is doing the work for them :rolleyes:

more natter here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Will they be enforcing the caps this time round? Methinks probably not.

NTL get your act together and move outside tha big shmoke. There's people outside the pale y'know!

Will they be enforcing the caps this time round? Methinks probably not.
    i'd say they will, given that there's going to be different caps for the different tiers. plus significantly upgrading the speeds for next to nothing is a pretty good time to start enforcing!

• Advertisement

Oops!

double post :o

Advertisement