Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL upgrading to 3Mb - lowest package will be 1Mb!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

carrotcake wrote:
    i'd say they will, given that there's going to be different caps for the different tiers. plus significantly upgrading the speeds for next to nothing is a pretty good time to start enforcing!

I asked the administrator (Peter M) at ChetNet for info on any new caps and he said that NTL have only announced the speed upgrades. No mention of Caps or Upload speed changes !

If I'm wrong post an offical link not some bloke in a forum link ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

you're right there. the pages upon pages of cap talk have gotten to me! apparently it's an ntl employee who gave the info on the caps tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

...oh well, it turns out to be true. from http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=19335&page=19&pp=15
    More Info....

Some people have been asking some questions and I have over the last 24 hours sought to get some of them answered.

£25 Administration Fee

Simon Duffy - Chief executive of ntl has told me that these upgrades are going to cost ntl tens of millions of pounds, he doesn't expect customers to pay for the increases but it does not seem unreasonable to ask them to contribute a modest amount to the cost of the upgrade. Simon says, Wanadoo has done the same for its 1 MB product.

Usage Allowance

The usage caps are that previously mentioned in this thread they have been confirmed as:-

1Mbps = 5GB month usage allowance.
    2Mbps = 30GB month usage allowance.
    3Mbps = 40GB month usage allowance.

Simon Duffy has stated to me:-

"I think the market needs to accept that the days of unlimited usage for all are over. The vast majority of users will not be impacted by the limits, but the small number who regularly use GB by the ton drive our costs up significantly and, since we are not a charity, we need to recover them somehow. It doesn't seem fair to ask the majority of moderate users to subsidise the small number of heavy users and usage caps are the best way to ensure fair treatment for all."

Upload Speeds

NTL will release more information such as this in the new year however ntl do not think that the current upload speeds will be changing.

Going on the fact that they have not given me a definitive answer, is probably an indication that they have not made a final decision on what the upload speeds will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What's the point of having 3Mbps with a 40GB cap :eek: Look at the 1Mb - 5GB, those figures are totally stupid! You could get 5GB in a matter of hours on 1Mb for gods sake :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,644 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

/me waits patiently this time for NTL's upgrade...

1.5mbps is nice, 3mbps is nicer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

unkel wrote:
    1.5mbps is nice, 3mbps is nicer :)
    With a 40Gb cap :confused: Hopefully though they wont care about it here in Ireland
    *Offler crosses fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,644 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I'm against caps out of principle, but NTL haven't enforced it yet :)

Also 40GB>>4GB ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

40gig/month is liveable with. That's more than a gig a day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Wait till NTL announce it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Adey2002 wrote:

If you have NTL already, get your customer number and check whats available from the NTL site...

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/
    I was told by an NTL guy not to go by the website. Best thing is to ring them direct, my customer number shows BB unavailable but I rang them and found out it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

5GB cap for a 1MB line is ridiculous. Its way way too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yep any cap is ridiculous for high speed connections 1 meg upwards. Thats exactly why u would get it - to download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. but you're not paying for guarenteed bandwidth and that's why they can sell it so cheap. You aren't entitled to max out your line 24*7, or anywhere near it. It's not 'ridiculous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

That comment from NTL, "I think the market needs to accept that the days of unlimited usage for all are over" , is a load of crap. They just don't want to compete, especially in Ireland where even if now there a several broadband offers many of them are slow (512kbit), capped and expensive for the service provided compared to the rest of europe.

"Free", in France, is lauching 15mbit for €30 per month... including 100 TV channels and free phone calls.

http://www.vnunet.fr/actu/article.htm?numero=12906&date=2004-10-19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Is there any news on NTL Ireland upgrading there services to 1mb, 2mb, and 3mb, does anyone know, is it to happen, if so when and will it cost more (a one of charge or a higher monthly tariff)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Also in Ireland there is no *huge* need for caps because NTL don't quite have the same number of subs here as compared to the UK. Of course that could change if they actually got up off their ass and upgraded Dublin. 2006 is when I expect them to get around to Blanch - I mean after all it's only 110'000 people - YOUNG, TECH-SAVY families. For what reason would NTL ever want to upgrade Blanch for? No market after all :mad: Oh well I go back to waiting.

Lots of people in D.15 have it. I've heard of people from Clonsilla to Cabra getting it. What are you using now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm in the Cabra area. You actually have to contact a sales person as NTL's customer help department is weak. They dont even know that areas that dont have BB enablement have it. In terms of download caps if there are caps it should be at least 70-100GB on the 3MB/s connection as even I've found that I can streach the download limit to its maximum and ive had it less than 2 MONTHS! :mad:

Advertisement