Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

john connelly?

Options
  • 30-01-2000 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

did any read either of his two books?
    got them both for christmas
    though they were good

optinions?

MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i bought the two of them but havent gotten around to reading them cause i've had a good few books to get through this past few months smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've read most of John Connollys stuff and am looking forward to reading the Black Angel when I get my hands on it, Crime with a little dash of horror, excellent :D

His 'horror' sections tend to read like something Stephen King might write. Bad Men was particularly brilliant although his portrayal of characters like the Preacher Faulkner in other books can be quite chilling as well. Great humour in those books as well, not to be confused with Michael Connelly, altogether more straightforward crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I used to love his bits in the Education and Living supplement of the Irish Times - clearly his best work :D

Hardly his best work but since the education system can be criminal and living can be a horror at times then you can see where he got the basis for his work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Micro, just to clarify John's work:
    From his website:

John's first novel, Every Dead Thing, introduced the character of Charlie Parker, a former policeman hunting the killer of his wife and daughter. The other books in the Charlie Parker series are: Dark Hollow, The Killing Kind, The White Road and The Black Angel. John's first stand-alone novel is Bad Men. He also has a collection of novellas and short stories called Nocturnes.

I have read all of John's books and I think there are excellent - very unputdownable - especially the Charlie Parker novels. They contain the great characters; Parker, Louis, Angel and the villians in the stories are seriously creepy.

Go out and read them.

Q

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote:
    Micro, just to clarify John's work...

...Go out and read them.

Q

I'd say Micro has probably read a few more since he first started this thread six years ago :) Back then, they (Every Dead Thing and Dark Hollow) were the only two books he had written.

That said, I agree completely, I've read five of his books and each one was great. The trio of Parker, Louis and Angel work really well together and Connolly manages to weave them into a believeable setup very well. I really liked the standalone, Bad Men. That was actually the first Connolly book I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

r3nu4l wrote:
    I'd say Micro has probably read a few more since he first started this thread six years ago :) Back then, they (Every Dead Thing and Dark Hollow) were the only two books he had written.

DOH...

I didn't even notice the start date of the thread.

Thanks

Advertisement