Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows takes on life of it's own

• 03-11-2004 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi folks, Please help.
    When I'm working away in windows, occasionally the computer takes on a life of it's own. Sometimes it closes all of my windows or sometimes it seem to tile them on my screen. It seems to be playing with me. It is not doing any serious damage but really irritating me.

I ran a full scan with nortons but all clear.
    Also ran Spybot and Adaware, fixed any problems but it still happens.

It's as if there is some kind of a macro running but differs. Sometimes closes several open windows, sometimes minimises them and today it tiled them on the screen.

I'm running XP Professional but saw this happening a couple of years ago on W95.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I've searched through Boards.ie but havn't found similar problem :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

had the same problem, a re-install fixed all the problems, i also found that the start up time was very long, i would see the desktop picture but it would take a long time before the icons appeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Thanks weemcd. I was afraid I'd have to re-install.

Did you identify what causes it, or does anyone know of any easier way of fixin it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

nah no idea what the problem is. i had just installed xp on that drive anyway so the format was no big deal for me, it may be awkward in your situation tho. possibly someone else can help, its just what you describe sounds like what was happening to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Or just do a system repair (option when you run the win xp CD) choose install, when it promts you for the drive, select the drive it will ask do you want to install a new version or repair existing version.

Has saved me on a number of occasions.. with XP and 2K

Laters

Steve C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I forgot to mention, it's a laptop.
    I haven't had time to try this yet but over the last couple of days I've been using the laptop without the docking station and with a different mouse. The problem hasn't happened over the last day or so when using it stand alone.

Is there a possibility that this could be caused by a dodgy keyboard, dodgy mouse (USB stand alone but PS2 in docking station) or by some strange setting in a docking station profile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement