Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 3?

Options
  • 03-11-2004 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Anyone else salvating at the mouth for this? Im not a huge gamer but roll on mid December :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

cant wait either,when i bought metal gear solid on the ps1 back wen i was a mere child i didnt leave my room for days,roll on december

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

I thought this was'nt due for realease until march next year. Where are you hearing December??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The game may be making an apperance on the Xbox sometime next year. A promotional display box for Snake Eater (featuring both PS2 and Xbox logos) was recently released across game stores in the US. What this means is anyones guess, but would be nice if it turned out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Anyone else watched the trailers? I get the feeling I've already seen all the best non gameplay parts now, but damn am I anticipating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yay another movie with about 1/8 of it being controlled by the player. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

MGS2 just had waaaaaaaaaaay too much talking. If i had to hear that whiny beyotch rose nagging raiden about thier annivarsary one mor time...and as for raiden, always banging on about his feelings, bloody hell it felt more like you were working on the samaritans hotline than playing a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Agreed the cutaways were incredibly long and the plot was confusing as fcuk but it was the first game since I was a kid to really have me hooked.

I thought it was out mid December??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

your missing the point of the game, its meant to be a interactive movie.

quite frankly i find the cut scenes to be just as good (if not better) then the actual game, because they are superbly directed by kojima-san

hell, i'm nearly thinking of gettin a gamecube just to play twin snakes, even though ive played through the original too many times to remember, id just like to see the cut scenes (from the trailer they look amazing, much different style from kojima, but stylish as hell)

i have to carry a cloth around with me to keep the drool in check, roll on 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I think you carry the cloth around for *other* reason Pete ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

its out in the US in december. it won't be here until maybe february or march but word is we get an extra dvd like before!

anyway, the reason Hideo got into games was so he could tell stories. that's his thing, telling stories. its also the reason I think he should be the one to direct a metal gear movie, if it ever gets made. (but that belongs in a different thread)

all I can say is roll on march! (or march on march...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive got the demo of this. Wasnt that impressed. 2 minutes in and he starts up a big heart to heart with yer one on the codec :rolleyes:

where do you get the demo, i assume its on hte official mag??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Pharcyde

I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be anything more than OK! Let's face it, it still has a hell of a lot of work just to ctach up to what MGS2 shoud have been, which in my opinion was one of, if not, the biggest dissappointments ever.

Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful game, but after the hype.... it was far too short and reletively linear, saved only by the replay value afforded by the difficulty settings. Personally I think Snake Eater is two or three years too late with competition from the likes of Sam Fisher, and given that this is the last title from Kojima-san, I think even he knows that the goos ship Snake has already sailed.

Otacon wrote:
    its out in the US in december. it won't be here until maybe february or march but word is we get an extra dvd like before!

anyway, the reason Hideo got into games was so he could tell stories. that's his thing, telling stories. its also the reason I think he should be the one to direct a metal gear movie, if it ever gets made. (but that belongs in a different thread)

all I can say is roll on march! (or march on march...)

Sh*te. This is the second time its delayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Pharcyde wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful game, but after the hype.... it was far too short and reletively linear, saved only by the replay value afforded by the difficulty settings. Personally I think Snake Eater is two or three years too late with competition from the likes of Sam Fisher, and given that this is the last title from Kojima-san, I think even he knows that the goos ship Snake has already sailed.
    Sam fisher is like snakes older, more boring cousin. At least snake has a mullet, thats like retro cool.
    But yeah, splinter cell took the mgs style gameplay, made it more annoying, and threw some grating US patriotism over it. I love mgs cause its basically an eastern take on a western genre. The cut scenes are too long and can be boring, but id rather sit through one of kojimas cut scenes (remember when grey fox came in to help you fight MG rex?? genius stuff) than play an entire level, of "LETS GO GET SUM TERRISTS!1!!1SHIFTONE!" splinter cell type gameplay. And then get caught. and die. and restart. and get caught. and die. repeat ad nauseam. splinter cell sucks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

pfft..go play metal gear on the nes. best one ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pfft..go play metal gear on the nes. best one ever!

No it isn't its terrible, a bastardisation that is loosely based on a far superior MSX game. And Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Peteee wrote:
    where do you get the demo, i assume its on hte official mag??

Downloaded it

Anyone who liked the Metal Gear series for the reason they were made, the story, were not let down by Kojima in MGS2. I hope he doesn't give in to pressure and change his method which has already made him a legend in the world of gaming...

gotta agree with you there, otacon... say do i know you ;)

i must say i was slightly miffed when the tanker ended and the big shell began, but frankly it worked on me. you get to see snake from an amateurs perspective, which, for me at least, deepened snakes character immesurably

when i watched the dvd i could see kojima's reasoning behind it all

i loved MGS2, i enjoyed playing it more then MGS1, maybe the story is better in the first one, but the cut scenes are amazing in metal gear 2, and that means a lot to me

hell the main reason i played was so icould continue the story and get to the next cut scene (i hated the emma bit, swim here, carry her here HATED IT, also didnt like the PAL card in the first one cos it was a bit monotonous)

i can still remember my shock at the president's story etc, even though i had an inkling of it coming. i still dont know waht the ending is going on about, but i dont care. i once thought i understood it, but then WHAM just like the last game, the final lines leave you wanting more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I can understand how he wanted to "deepen" snake's character, but in fairness I would have rathered some classic Solid Snake action scenes like in the first game rather than following some unknown character bl33t on with his girlfriend
    ...Who after everything turns out not to even be real, seriously I WANT whatever hallucinagens he was on creating this story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it was the toluene in the gun powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Only one to thing to say about MGS 2.

Shoot, blow up, damn, Run, blow up, damn, Shoot and run, blow up, damn, crouch, blow up, damn, coffee break, hmmmmmmmmmmmm, do nothing, problem solved.

If MGS 2 was shot live action and released as a movie it would be completely slated for having a riiiidiculous plot and be classed as straight to video tat, no doubt with a baldwin as snake.

Just because its more cinematic and has illusions of its oscar potential doesn't mean its any good.

Peteee wrote:
    but then WHAM just like the last game, the final lines leave you wanting more

What was that line again?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

what i want to know what happened at the end of MGS2 was what the **** happened when
    when snake dives after liquid/ocelot in MG Ray

and i hope to god that the MORON who directed the cut-scenes for the GC MGS:Twin Snakes has no part in MGS3

and i hope to god that the MORON who directed the cut-scenes for the GC MGS:Twin Snakes has no part in MGS3

Unless there are ninjas involved. I don't want to see any silly over the top walking on missles stuff either. Unless there are ninjas.

Is Twin Snakes going to be both brothers together?

Twin Snakes has been out for ages and its a remake using MGS2 gameplay of MGS1 for Gamecube.

Twin Snakes was not over the top. That's the Metal Gear world, with vampires, pyschics, and nuclear-equipped walking battletanks. Still, to settle any nerves, Ryuhei Kitamura has nothing to do with MGS3 but the guy who did the opening sequence in MGS2, Kyle Cooper, is back.

As for MGS2's ending, it wasn't as satisfying as MGS1's, but it still did the job (...get me begging for MGS3 like an armless man with an itch...)

• Advertisement

I thought that snake seemed like some uber soldier in cutscenes of twin snake which was at odds with the snake you played in the game who was very fragile. If he could dodge bullets and jump on missles will still using a missle launcher then why did he have to be stealthy in the game. In the four other metal gear games Snake felt more like a real soldier who was just very very good. I could connect more with the snake of the older games.

Advertisement