Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameCube, is it worth buying

Options
  • 03-11-2004 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

are these made lookin little cubes any good,im not a big zelda fan and will never be but sum title on the cube have raised my eyebrows an inch or 2,
    if any 1 has any advice id be grateful if you would share it
    cheers
    thank you come again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Depends on the games you are interested in.... Great gamecube games (FZero, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, Zelda Windwaker, Viewtiful Joe etc.) really are great....

What games were you thinking of getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

i heard there releasing the metal gear solid that was on the ps1 on to the gamecube that would be a great flash from the past,and also the resident evil series and ya cant live without mario cart

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Gamecube has some of the best exclusive games.....metroid, mario kart, zelda...you can't play these games on any other system and they are ace!

The other two main consoles are more powerful and have their own exclusive games but these tend to eventually end up on the PC which does them much better imo (GTA, Halo etc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

also if you are a fan of the resi series thats were capcom are pumping there best ones to - more quality games than the PS2 in my opinion.

thanx peeps all help is greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Two words:
    METROID PRIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

I love my little cube. Savage console.

could any 1 give me some speciifics about the cube, i.i pros and cons

Good

1)it's very small....very portable....doesn't look like or weigh like a breeze block
    2) great games :)
    3)Best controller imo

Bad

1)Little bit weak compared to the other consoles :(
    2)Not as many people have them, so less games traded
    3)Doesn't play dvds
    4)Uses it's own discs

Pros: All the exclusive Nintendo games. Metroid, Zelda, SSBM, Mario Kart, F-Zero GX (now €30!) that sort of thing.
    Great controller.
    Great multiplayer. SSBM, MK: DD, Zelda Four Swords...
    Tiny console, if space is tight.
    Getting to play Resident Evil 4 early next year rather than waiting another year after that.
    Some great RPGs to come: Tales of Symphonia (ask Syth, he's just completed it on an import copy), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Baten Kaitos.
    Easy to get import games - all you need is a FreeLoader.
    Cheap. HMV in Grafton Street is selling the Zelda and Metroid Prime packs for €99 each, normally the console is €120 on its own.

Cons: Lack of third party support (Where are you, Burnout 3?)
    Lack of online support
    Nintendo of Europe being jackasses with the release schedule
    Not many traditional FPS games or racing games.

That ok?

• Advertisement

F-Zero GX (now €30!)

Sorry to go off topic but where? The GAME on Dawson st has it 2nd hand at 50euro!!!!!

yea thats great,you guys are startin to convince me to get it,atleast i know wat my girlfriend is gonna get me for christmas now :cool:

does any 1 know where i can buy one in the south east,preferably wit 1 or 2 games for cheap?

Sorry to go off topic but where? The GAME on Dawson st has it 2nd hand at 50euro!!!!!
    Just gone to Players Choice. Any branch of GAME should have it for that. Therefore €19.97 preowned.
    does any 1 know where i can buy one in the south east,preferably wit 1 or 2 games for cheap?
    You'd be as well to come to Dublin. That HMV deal I mentioned is as good as you'll get.
    There's gonna be a couple of bundles from Nintendo too.
    See here - for pricing £79 => €119 methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just gone to Players Choice. Any branch of GAME should have it for that. Therefore €19.97 preowned.

You'd be as well to come to Dublin. That HMV deal I mentioned is as good as you'll get.
    There's gonna be a couple of bundles from Nintendo too.
    See here - for pricing £79 => €119 methinks

Looks like im buying f-zero so :D

i know dub has a wider selection but i cant get there right now so if any 1 hears of it being sold as a bundle offer in the southeast let me know

thanx for all the help, its greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Im buyin the console for one reason and one reason only that new metroid game.
    Saw the review of it on that game mag on bravo and it blew me away.
    Looks like quake meets halflife 2, jaw dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

IrishMike wrote:
    Im buyin the console for one reason and one reason only that new metroid game.
    Saw the review of it on that game mag on bravo and it blew me away.
    Looks like quake meets halflife 2, jaw dropping.
    good stuff :D

been playing through the original metroid prime for the 6th time this week. it just keeps getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

RuggieBear wrote:

that's because im lazy and didnt reprice them. lol the fzero players choice has only been out a week so thats why it hasnt been changed.

two words and a number:

metroid prime 2 :D

the cube has some amazing games, zelda, mario kart(not amazing but great fun), skies of arcadia, tales of symphonia on it's way, the pikmin games, viewtiful joe, super smash bros. and then there is that new cal of duty game which looks pretty sweet and how can we forget resi 4 and that new zelda! :eek: best console line up imo but people only see what's marketed at them which is why the cube hasnt sold great.

this month is a very good month for gamers what with half life 2 and halo 2 and metrois prime 2 but i think nintendo has the most exclusives along with the 3rd party games, like paper mario 2(12th nov), metroid prime 2(26th), tales of symphonia(19th),. and then we get all the same 3rd party games pretty much, ie call of duty, prince of persia 2, goldeneye rogue agent, need for speed underground 2, lotr:the third age. theres not a lot more coming out in novemeber except halo 2 and half life 2, that i would want to own.

thafitz wrote:
    Eh, no, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2.

really!? never knew that...always assumed the ps2 was more powerful but not superiour! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

4 player mario kart. about as good as it gets! Also the wireless controllers are sweet!

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

really!? never knew that...always assumed the ps2 was more powerful but not superiour!

It's way more powerful than a PS2. Some games do look worse than on the Ps2 but these are all shoddy third party conversions of PS2 games. If you look at the exclusive Cube games such as Metroid Prime, Zelda, F-zero or Resident evil 4 you can see that the Cube is a far superior console in terms of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dont buy it/ i taught it was crap only reason i bought it was a friend was selling it for 40 euro cheap as chips ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Faceless_Joe

Hmm, the one person who dislikes the gamecube comes up with the reasoned opinion that "it's crap" (and yes I did just paraphrase)

My Cube has given me plenty of good times.
    Ah Super Smash Brothers....
    Then you got Zelda, Metroid Prime... uh... the New Zelda, the New Metroid Prime... :P
    No, there are plenty good games on the cube. And it's so CHEAP.

why is it crap snoopdog???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Gamecube is great for Nintendo games, so if you like Nintendo, then I see no reason why you shouldn't get a Gamecube. On the downside, it has weak third-party support and few non-Nintendo exclusives. It's dirt cheap however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Out of interest how much do new games tend to go for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

€60 in game shops like gamestop and smyths, the console isn't as popular as the other two but you're still charged full whack for brand new games. The GC games tend to find themselves in the bargain bin alot quicker though.

And yeah, buy a cube ferchrissakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

my quick opinion:

pros:
    excellent exclusives - metroid prime, legend of zelda, Pikmin
    great multiplayer games - mario kart, super monkey ball, bomberman
    great controller

cons:
    No Pro Evolution Soccer
    No DVD playback
    weak third party support

summary - I'd recommend a Cube if you like Nintendo's offerings, but if you're more towards mainstream gaming and want a huge game selection get a PS2.
    alternatively, get a GameBoy player with your Cube and you can play Gameboy games on your Cube! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

why i think its crap because

no pro evo 4
    no burnout 3
    controllers bad
    for babies most of the games
    no online play

the list is long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the controller is the best out the three. it's the only one that sits comfortably in hands. although the ps2 pad is best suited for pro evo and the 4 shoulder buttons are cool. im interested to see how pro evo controls on the xbox

Advertisement