Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameCube, is it worth buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

for babies most of the games

:mad:

Try playing them. Stuff like mario kart, paper mario and zelda are far better than so called mature games like Manhunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Metroid Prime is the only other console game that comes that close to being, in all round terms, good as Halo. There is no other game like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Len_007 wrote:
    Metroid Prime is the only other console game that comes that close to being, in all round terms, good as Halo. There is no other game like it.

Now i don't want to open any old arguments here but is HALO on the xbox much better than on PC coz while i thought it was reasonable good it wasn't a patch on some of the other FPS's....

I would love to see Metroid on PC...i still struggle playing FPS on those controllers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

snoopdog wrote:
    why i think its crap because

no pro evo 4
    no burnout 3
    controllers bad
    no online play

the list is long

Controllers are the best out there, I own an xbox, dreamcast, ps2 and gamecube so I'm not biased.

No burnout 3, but burnout 2 was a better game (no EA "flash" in it)
    I'd like to see a baby complete zelda, metroid, mgs twin snakes, any of the res evils, need I continue.

Just because most of the games don't contain blood and seem cute and cuddly doesn't make them bad games! Gamecube has some classic games out there, some of which I'v mentioned already. Animal crossing, Pikmin (1 or 2), Mario, F Zero GX, Mario Kart, and the list goes on.

I have xbox live and its not all its cracked up to be. If you have friends it shouldn't be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Imo Prime wouldn't work that well on a PC.
    Also, I got Halo when I bought an XBox back in the day, I wasn't really up on games (didn't read magazines or that lark) so I had no idea what type of game it was.

I played it and went "meh". I really couldn't believe it when I found out some people thought it was the best game ever. Bog FPS imo, nothing special.
    snoopdog wrote:

no pro evo 4
    no burnout 3
    controllers bad
    no online play

the list is long

I can't use the PS2 controller to save my life. When they first introduced the analogue sticks on the PS1 joypads I was horrified. Perhaps I just have small hands, but the GC joypad is the best since the SNES.

Baby games? The oldest anti-nintendo arguement, and the worst founded. My 8 year old cousin can beat me at Tekkan, does that make it a baby game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

no pro evo *is* a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Surprised nobody mentioned Eternal Darkness, for me it's the most impressive game on the cube, put's RE and silent hill to shame. Should be able to find it cheap too, get that metroid prime, pikmin and animal crossing and you've probably got the best collection of single player game's on any console since the old days of flashback and sonic 1.

And no, metroid prime wouldn't work on the PC, it's been perfectly designed for the cube controller with the auto aiming and all, would need a complete re design to siut keyboard and mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

You could always import winning eleven

Surprised nobody mentioned Eternal Darkness, for me it's the most impressive game on the cube, put's RE and silent hill to shame. Should be able to find it cheap too, get that metroid prime, pikmin and animal crossing and you've probably got the best collection of single player game's on any console since the old days of flashback and sonic 1.

And no, metroid prime wouldn't work on the PC, it's been perfectly designed for the cube controller with the auto aiming and all, would need a complete re design to siut keyboard and mouse.

Yeah...i forgot about ED....trying to shut it out of my mind tbh....found it a very unnerving game that really gave me the creeps.....Fantastic tho!!

Super Mario Sunshine is a another good game but, by god, do you need the patence to master the controls....

Probably right about MP...it would need a total redesign. Mind you with a mouse you son't need auto aim. ;) but yeah it would change the overall game dynamic to the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

bush wrote:
    You could always import winning eleven

Exactly. I imported it last Christmas and am still addicted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

my mind still isnt made up but without all the info ive gotten since i started this thread id be absolutely lost,but the more i see of eternal darkenss and mario kart its makin me want that cute little cube

/me slaps kinkstr

METROID PRIME!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't think too much of eternal darkness. Good story but flawed gameplay. Was alright.

Kinkstr, you need to play Metroid Prime. In fact everybody should play metroid prime. Its worth the price of a cube alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well acube is only 120 new and hmv are selling the cube and metroid prime and the cool MP faceplate for 99. thats an amazing deal.!

oh and ruggie, metroid prime is not a first person shooter! thats where so many people go wrong with it.

and whoever said "metroid is the only thing that comes close to halo", halo is the only thing that comes close to halo on the xbox and nothin on th ps2 is near either. so dont go sayin it is all the cube has cause it certainly is not! the games are way too different imo. have halo on the pc and tbh it's ok it's not amazing!

evad_lhorg wrote:
    oh and ruggie, metroid prime is not a first person shooter! thats where so many people go wrong with it.

What genre do you define it as....i'll admit it's not strictly what i'd call i FPS either but.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

platform/adventure/fps hybrid tbh.

JUST BUY THE DAMNED THING ALREADY!

tman wrote:
    platform/adventure/fps hybrid tbh.

JUST BUY THE DAMNED THING ALREADY!

oh i have it already i'm just a bit **** at it....oh you mean the other fella..... Yeah buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Nah...get an XBOX.

HALO 2!!!! :D

im gettin an xbox before i christmas. probably will only get halo 2 and burnout 3 cause i will have too many games to contend with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Didn't think too much of eternal darkness. Good story but flawed gameplay. Was alright.
    It was better than alright, it was the best of the survival horror games made, and it's worth buying just for the insanity meter anyway. It suffers from the same flaws that afflict all the games in the genre, but it handles them better-more controllable combat and such. Silicon nights did a great job on it. I would go as far as to say it's bettered only by metroid prime and pikmin on the cube, both of which should be part of any cube owners collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolam wrote:
    Nah...get an XBOX.

HALO 2!!!! :D

yo Absolam have you played halo 2

i think it will go down in history as one of the greats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

snoopdog wrote:

no pro evo 4
    no burnout 3
    controllers bad
    no online play

the list is long

Well, I for one am convinced by this well-thought out and structured argument

:rolleyes:

Continue your list, if it's so long. And try to make valid points this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Why bother posting in the first place then?

[edit]Snoopdogg has decided to delete his post about not being bothered to argue his points, so this post looks stupid now.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I think Snoopdog's the one looking stupid so far...

Also, Metroid Prime is in possession of my pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So are you in posession of Samus' pants? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

i think you guys have me convinced,i have an xbox and ps2 so i think its only right that i get the cube,the offer in hmv for the cube with metroid prime for 99 yo yo s sounds almost sexual

So are you in posession of Samus' pants? :p

i wish i was in possesion of samus pants. lol or that suit!

The varian suit shoulder pads do it for me every time.

/me gets hankering for metallic lurve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

kinkstr wrote:
    i think you guys have me convinced,i have an xbox and ps2 so i think its only right that i get the cube,the offer in hmv for the cube with metroid prime for 99 yo yo s sounds almost sexual

Im in the same boat as you.
    Will definetely be getting a cube 4 christmas aswell.
    All this talk of metroid 2 has me far too excited !

Advertisement