Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameCube, is it worth buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you just wait and see, it wont sell well but it will be one of the top 3 games of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

really dig the cube with games like zelda ED Mario Kart F-Zero and a little game called METROID its worth the price but the one thing i dont like bout the cube and its the god damn analogue stick on the controller those stupid little rings on the face of the stick GRRR :mad: it was same with the N64 controller my fingers keep slipping off the stick when i played for long periods and i find it hard to get accuracy with it

the rings and the octagnol cut outs are the best thing about the analogs. nintendo have both copyrghted so you wont see em anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I bought the cube just after Metroid came out. While I absolutely loved Zelda on the cube I must say that it's the only game that I've enjoyed on it so far. I really didn't like Metroid at all and have no intention on picking up echoes. However I am really looking forward to Paper Mario and Tales of Symphonia and with cube prices at rock bottom there really is no reason to buy.

Bring on Skies of Arcadia 2 :D

i wish there was a skies of arcadia 2. only got the first one there a few weeks back it's really good. tales looks better than it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Not really related to the topic, i cant wait till the new system comes out and gamecube becomes old tech. im still working my way through my n64 collection

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i wish there was a skies of arcadia 2. only got the first one there a few weeks back it's really good. tales looks better than it though
    Syth just completed Tales, he got it on import. Said it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Cube is worth buying if you like games that look like they are for kids, but are hard enough for adults or if you also buy Metroid prime, because it is the daddy. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cube is worth buying if you like games that look like they are for kids, but are hard enough for adults or if you also buy Metroid prime, because it is the daddy

Praetorian couldn't handle Mario Sunshine, point and laugh.
    or viewtiful joe.
    or Metroid Prime (this may have been due to the loss of his memory card with the save game on it but while i'm on a roll i better not stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Praetorian couldn't handle Mario Sunshine, point and laugh.
    or viewtiful joe.
    or Metroid Prime (this may have been due to the loss of his memory card with the save game on it but while i'm on a roll i better no stop)

Christ i found the controls for Mario sunshine an absolute BIATCH :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

mario sunshine was awful! really didnt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

snoopdog wrote:
    no online play

The broadband adapter currently plugged into my cube says differently.

But then I've been a big Phantasy Star Online fan from my days as a Dreamcast owner.....

You can play Mario Kart Double Dash online too.. but's not Nintendo's doing...

Also... I've never understood why people think that the cube not playing DVDs is a bad thing... My sandwich toaster doesn't play DVDs either and I certainly don't hold that against it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

everyones response to this thead has been fantastic,thanx to all
    you ve helped me make up my mind about the gamecube
    thanx for all your input and please keep on posting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Oooh, you'll not be disappointed. Mario Kart: DD is, in my opinion, by far the best in the series. Make sure you pick up Super Smash Bros Melee and Metroid Prime too, it's criminal to have a GC without them. Well, it's not, but it should be and I've written to the Daily Mail on the subject.

To digress: in Praetorian's defence, Viewtiful Joe has that stupidly hard fire bloke, and the hidden blue coins in Sunshine are far too numerous and obscure. Out of interest, has anyone here managed/bothered to find them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Considering I don't have a memory card, I think getting to 50% + on two seperate occasions was pretty good on Metroid!

I preferred the old mario games over sunshine. :D and Viewtiful joe just didn't grab me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You didn't play viewtiful joe but played Simpsons hit and run instead. Pfft! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Praetorian wrote:
    Considering I don't have a memory card, I think getting to 50% + on two seperate occasions was pretty good on Metroid!
    Sounds like a challenge. Complete the game single segment, no saving. Or beat the game in 1 day.

any of you guys ever play a game called "super monkey ball" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

kinkstr wrote:
    any of you guys ever play a game called "super monkey ball" ?
    Ho ho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sounds like a challenge. Complete the game single segment, no saving. Or beat the game in 1 day.
    managed to 100% it in 2 days (scans and items)

might try an any % run without saving...

• Advertisement

.....get the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Got my GC just after Christmas last year. First console I've bought since the Megadrive....which was quite a while ago.
    Anyway, Rogue Leader was the one game that I really wanted to play and it's not available on any other platform. I could have bought an X-Box or PS2, but I play mostly on PC and the only console-only games that I'd be interested in are all on Gamecube....so for me it was no-brainer. Playing X-Men Legends and Spider-Man 2 on GC at the moment, top quality stuff.
    My wife likes it because of Mario Kart:DD and Simpsons Hit and Run.
    To be honest, given the price of all the consoles I don't think you can go wrong regardless of what you choose as you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of each of them. I'm happy with my GC :D

does the cube need a memory card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

You can pick up cheap reliable ones in HMV. Can't remember the name, but they're 1MB and just a fiver. Splends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Serious Sam on the GC is a lot of fun (and cheap to buy) especially if you're a fan of the original.

I got mine from Argos - they always seem to have good packages - extra controller, memory card etc. Worth checking out.
    Even if you just buy a GC for one of the Nintendo-exculsive games it's always good value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Andrew Fotzpatr

i recommend people to have a pc and a game cube..all the ps2 games and xbox games come out on the pc anyway..

ps2

crap controller
    good support
    really annoying loading times
    graphics not that good

x-box

good support
    too big
    x-box live looks cool
    controller not the best

pc

nuff said better than all the rest hands down

gc

bad support
    brialliant controller
    exclusive games that u wont play else where
    nintendo games franchise is the bees knees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Just bought a gamecube with metroid for 99 euros in hmv. Bought it because of the comments on this thread and I'm fairly happy with it. Something about the xbox and playstation2 didn't appeal to me, probably because the games are very similar to everything on the pc. Not bashing the other consoles as their both excellent and have some great games. First impressions of metroid are fairly positive, just hope its not another fps.

Oh god no, its something diffferent. Platform / FPS / RPG and a little something else I can't put my finger on.

MP: 2 is coming out on the 24th of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I thought, and still do think, that MP is the best game I own. I have an xbox, ps2, gamcube, dreamcast and most of the older ones too. Although I am currently playing GTA SA and Cronicals of riddick/Star Wars Battlefront I have to say that my gamecube is anything but inferior to the xbox and ps2.

I just got a copy of Wario Ware and this further proves my point that Nintendo are still a force in the console market. The game is absolutely brilliant! It hasn't got photo realistic graphics, and all those other things that the likes of EA love to build games around, instead it has the playability and longevity that the likes of nintendo build their games about.

Something about the game reminded me of the time I first played tetris on the gameboy. Simple game, yet so addicitve and utterly briliant. A gem! Well worth a look if you have a cube and if you don't ask yourself: Do you want a console that offers all the usual games, fps, rpg etc all built on the same concept or do you want a console that delivers all of the above but also gives you the classic quirky games that the japanese love to make, like Warioware and animal crossing to name but 2.

Advertisement