Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-fiction

Options
  • 31-01-2000 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting non-fiction I'm reading at the mo.

Just started into Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. It's a little dated now but still extremely relevant. One of the few cult non-fictions I suppose. He's got an easy to read style and the subject matter is extremely interesting. More when done.

Have been reading good ol' Mayo-man Charles Handy. Can't remember the name of this one I'm on at the mo, but the content is whats important. He's a business management guru, and discusses the future of work practices and how organisations will deal with new ideas. This guy wrote seriously about telecommuting - in 1988. Class stuff. He's well known in business, one of his books is The Empty Raincoat smile.gif

Also on Cradle by ACC and $sidekick. It's quite good, been years since I read it, completely forgotten.

Bought some new (97/98 ) RUC/criminal gangs one (fiction). Might be ok. (It was £2 in a sale).

Al.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 31-01-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

The Endurance is a damn good read, hard to believe its a true story in some parts.

To give a short synopsis, it catalogues the (mis)adventures of a group of explorers, led by an irishman called shackleton, who attempt to circumnavigate the south pole in 1914. Basically they end up getting trapped in pack ice and have to abandon their ship before its crushed. The upshot of it all is, 3 of them end up taking a boat over 800 miles to the nearest inhabited island, through the roughest seas in the world.

You have to read it to get my meaning smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Non-fiction? How about the C de Book by Simon something or other. It teaches u how to do R*SA and DE*S en cry ption so you can write your own ultra-sec ure en cry ption programs.

P.S. can anyone guess why certain words were broken up?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hah, paranoia, or is it?

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/01/31/johansen.interview.idg/

Excellent, looks like #500 for the books board smile.gif

Take it easy,
    Al.

Advertisement