Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q: Where to buy bathymetric sea charts?

• 03-11-2004 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

Looking for navigational sea charts of the N. Atlantic.
    Preferably large scale?
    Peferably showing detail of the ocean floor?

Come on.... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Hi There

Try here!

http://www.marine.ie/scientific+services/data+services/oceanographic+data/bathymetric+and+hydrographic+data+for+irish+waters.htm

Long link but mentions UK office which sells Irish Charts.

Hope this helps

S :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Thanks for the help sanncoo!
    The admiralty charts will do I guess, it doesn't seem easy to get full-bathymetric charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Sleipnir wrote:
    Looking for navigational sea charts of the N. Atlantic.
    Preferably large scale?
    Peferably showing detail of the ocean floor?

Come on.... :D

[Pirate's voice]Ahoy mee ladee! Arrr, why wuld ye be wantin 'em sea charts for? Treasure? Yee wuldn't be lookin fer me gold now would you lad? If ya'ar, I'll makke ya walk the plank, ya swab![/Pirate's voice]

Or you could try the Admiralty

PH01 wrote:
    Yee wuldn't be lookin fer me gold now would you lad?[/Pirate's voice]

maybe I am PH01, maybe I am..........
    Got boat?

Or in keeping;

GIT BACK YEE DAWGS! GET BACK OR BY THOR'S HAMMER OIE'LL I'LL CLEAVE YE'RE FILTHY SKULLS!

By the way, attached is the type of thing I'm looking for (only bigger & printed!). For anyone who's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Sleipnir wrote:
    maybe I am PH01, maybe I am..........
    Got boat?

[Pirate's voice]Why I autta hang ye frum da nearest yardarm ya lowlee bilge rat! No wan is gettin Iron Sam Vane's gold![/Pirate's voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

The best local source of Admiralty charts would be one of the chandleries, like Windmill Leisure, who I saw in Afloat magazine. Admiralty charts are like Ordnance Survey maps, as they are contour maps. Unlike your 3-D pic, these charts will give info on what is on the bottom. Mud, gravel,sand etc. This is because the soundings were made with lead weights coated in wax so as to pick up what was on the bottom.
    Another place to contact is the Marine Institute.They should have info, as €55m ship Granuaile is our new hydrographic survey vessel, and has completed a new survey.
    Another place to look is the Dept. of the Marine, who are now in Dept. of communications etc.
    I might be able to help more if I knew what you want them for.

Well they're not actually going to be used for navigation Wheels.
    I did intend getting some for an ex-submariner mate of mine who
    spent most of his time in the N. Atlantic so I was more interested
    in deep-sea charts than coastals.

EDIT - I thought the Celtic Explorer was the new oceanographic
    survey boat? Maybe it's not that new actually (4 years old?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Sorry, I was too lazy to check. ( blame Bush victory blues)
    You are right but look at this article on the Marine Institute site, from which you will get as much gen as I can give.
    I am morto about my slip about R.V Celtic Warrior, naming her predecessor, I think.
    I also have a rancid republican cousin, ex-US submariner, and I could always ask him for help.
    What do you want the info for? You forgot to say.

Advertisement