Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Bushes gone!!

Options
  • 03-11-2004 3:58pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I know bits and pieces about cars but not a whole lot on the scale of
    things when it comes to the mechanical side of them.

Was recently told by the local mechanic that the front bushes on the car need
    to be replaced. He's a fairly reliable guy and has never to this day done me over
    when doing work on the car, all his prices are good and work is top class so Im
    just wondering what to expect price wise in the way of getting them replaced.

Whats the likely price if I went to a dealership?

Ive a 97 Ford Mondeo by the way.

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Shouldn't be to expensive...It'll will probably depend on the location of the bushes & the labour intensity of the job...having replaced the front bushes & engine mountings on my car twice, I know it's NOT nice work...well on a mini anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did he mention which bushes were shot?
    Sub-frame/tie-rods/anti-rollbar/control arms?

The parts are prolly about 30-40 euro each (wild guess!) its the labour that costs as said above.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Tox, this is common stuff to replace on a Mondeo and won't cost the earth. The bushings are @€;2-3 from Ford and the rear tie rods which often go at the same time are €20 each. They are quick and easy to fit - shouldn't take more than an hour for the front and less for the back (if the back needs doing)

'c

The bushings are @€;2-3 from Ford

'c

I'm out of touch.

Mike,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Mike, I think he means €23, not 2 or 3!!

Usually, if the front bushes have to be changed (more commonly its the wishbone bushings), the back ones of the same side are usually changed at the same time. For most cars, the ones on the left side wear out more than the right due to kerbs and drains etc etc.

Its not always down to mileage either. Its down to the roads you travel on. If you had to take back roads to work everyday for example, chances are you'll get about 50,000 miles out of a set of bushes, as opposed to an average of 75-90,000 miles on national roads.

Part-and-parcel of a cars life...

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

mike65 wrote:
    I'm out of touch.

Mike,

I don't think you are out of touch, I nearly fell over when I saw the bill - I was expecting them to cost a lot more, but the full set was less than €20 inc VAT. If only all car makers priced stuff like this..... €410 for a wheel bearing for my Renault - €45 from German, French and Swedish in Ballymount!!!

'c

€410 for a wheel bearing for my Renault - €45 from German, French and Swedish in Ballymount!!!

'c

Ah we've all been throught that one! Set of HT leads €100 from dealer, €35 from GSF.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

whilst agreeing with you on the cost benefits of shopping at GSF, you have to remember that the saving has to be compared to the hassle that many shoppers there have in returning the part bought to get the correct one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

mike65 wrote:
    Did he mention which bushes were shot?
    Sub-frame/tie-rods/anti-rollbar/control arms?

The parts are prolly about 30-40 euro each (wild guess!) its the labour that costs as said above.

Mike.

He didnt mention which ones yet, but the car is going in for a service on
    Friday and he will give the car the once over and tell me everything that
    needs to be done on it including bushes..

So fingers crossed it wont be too much bad news :eek:

Although in saying that, I just got a quote for renewing my car insurance and
    its gone down by nearly €1100.. which will help ease the pain a little :D

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I just got a quote for renewing my car insurance and
    its gone down by nearly €1100.. which will help ease the pain a little :D

Tox

Now you can go mad with a body kit! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement