Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Etiquette

Options
  • 03-11-2004 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Just saw DeV's post about slow-rolling and it made me wonder about bad etiquette and is there stuff we should know about. I finished 5th last Thurs in the freeroll (4 tickets) and I wasn't too happy with the speech play from two players at the table. (DD and Ger, it wasn't you two). Basically it was obvious that everyone would be trying to get rid of the low stack next (ie me) but there was no need to announce before a flop that they were checking it all the way down. One with AQ, the other with QQ, I might add.

Also, lately I've heard a lot of players saying 'Well done' when there are still cards to come and they still have outs left. I would normally wait until I am beat before tapping the table and congratulating the winner.

I'm sure there are things I do that may annoy other players and if so I would like to know so that I could stop doing them. Anyway, might be a bit petty but just wanted to know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think alot of players do not intend to show bad ettiquette at the tables, but if you started to play on the internet, there is a whole new set of rules, or ettiquettes, that you would not previously have known about. Anyone who learnt on the net may not even know basic things like how seats are allocated, or minimum bets etc, as all this is done automatically for you online. Particularly at the suited aces tournaments, where this is the market you are aiming for, Ithink an extra bit of patience for things like this would be in order. The occurence Dev discussed in the other thread did sound like it was just a chancer and I am not having a go at that, but you do miss out on alot of this stuff when you play on the net!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thw "chancer" is a serious player and knew exactly what he was doing. That wasnt bad etiquette in my book. It was stone cold cheating. Thats another story though.

I dislike the "mutual agree to check it out by nods and winks" approach thats used sometimes. Though between two players who are obviously going to do it, it can be a bit of a laugh. I wouldnt allow people to say anything along the lines of "we should check this down" etc. Its collusion and you can call the TD for it.

Also watch people who want to use etiquette to their own advantage... I've seen some cynical uses of "polite rules" in order to get cheap showdowns etc...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    Thw "chancer" is a serious player and knew exactly what he was doing. That wasnt bad etiquette in my book. It was stone cold cheating. Thats another story though.

It wasnt cheating, angle shooting maybe, but not cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I was accussed of slow rolling at the last 250, when I had the nut straight and thought for abit before calling. I was put all-in and was just making sure in my head that there were no hands that could beat me before I called. I explained that but I don't think anyone believed me but to be honest I couldn't care less.

In the case of all-in situtations where there is still a live pot I would often check the flop if I'm first to act before it comes down, just to show the other player I'm not betting no matter what comes down. It's legal to do so but I'm sure it's not considered a polite thing to do.

Just thinking of another incident that happened in the last 250. It was a 3 way pot after the flop, player 1 goes all-in player 2 calls and then it was up to me to decide. Player 1 showed his cards to the player sitting beside him, not involved in the hand. I could see from the way the non-involved player was looking at the cards and the board that he didn't have much and decided to call. Player 2 was obviously pissed off with player 1 as I won the pot which I probably wouldn't have but for the extra information.

I think the nature of the game and the money involved means people are going to try get an edge whenever they can. On Monday night that guy went way too far. If that had of happened in The Fitz in a big game I'm sure he wouldn't show his face in the club for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Isn't it illegal to expose your cards when money is left to be bet? I gues nothing could be done if the guy was out of the game but could he have been repremanded otherwise?

• Advertisement
Advertisement