Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone interceptors legalised

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow.... excellent.
    Who'll be first to implement?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

about bloody time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Hurrah for comreg! Those wasters finally seem to have realised that their responsibilities go beyond protecting the advertising revenues of commercial radio stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Id say UGC will do it first...or maybe IFI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Hallelujah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I thought this was about mobile phone tapping.....I was wondering what it was doing in Films..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Excellent, delighted to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

yeah i can really see that working properly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If they can differentiate between a call to the emergancy services and other calls they can obviously identify the destination number. Now if they can intercept that part of the phone call, can they intercept the rest? I mean forget the cinema situation, imagine it in any public place, this technology could be used to eavesdrop on calls without blocking them. :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hagar wrote:
    If they can differentiate between a call to the emergancy services and other calls they can obviously identify the destination number. Now if they can intercept that part of the phone call, can they intercept the rest? I mean forget the cinema situation, imagine it in any public place, this technology could be used to eavesdrop on calls without blocking them. :confused:

If you read the document on the ComReg site, you'll see that the implementation covers this adequately - it's not that a cinema can fit the device themselves; they reach a "commercial agreement" with the mobile phone network companies to have the companies set up a "quiet zone" covering the approximate location of the cinema. And the networks are then required to report every zone they set up to ComReg, as part of their license agreement.

Although I do think that worrying only now about eavesdropping in the context of communicating over a privately-owned communications network is a bit, well, naive. As a couple of lawsuits in the UK have shown, the only thing stopping employees of mobile phone networks from intercepting/listening in on phone calls or text messages is the law and company policies designed around it. But this isn't really relevant for the context of the film forum.

Personally, I applaud it and think it's a great idea. Hope they bring it in at The Gate sooner rather than later (not pushed about the Capitol because I avoid it like the plague and it's closing in a while anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'd say Savoy will be quick off the mark since they were doing it in the past before they were caught and told to not. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Excellent, first place to do this will get my business. Now all we need are 'scumbag interceptors'...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Saw this on ie.comp
    Its about bloody time, now I just got to wait till Waterford Cineplex gets it installed........that could be awhile :confused:

Advertisement