Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Xp

• 03-11-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi

just a question on windows xp, ive heard that ya can stall it on 2 computers, ie 1 pc and 1 laptop, not 2 pc or 2 laptop. is this true??
    i was reading on another forum that this was the case but i havent heard of anything like ths before, supposidly ms has changed there liscence agreement

anyone know anything bout this?

cheers

Craig M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

The Licencing is the following:

Windows Xp can be installed on upto 2 computers but may not be used at the same time, i.e if you have 2 pcs in your house and they are always on then you cant, however if you have a laptop that you use at work, but use a pc at home then its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

But if you have it installed on 2 PCs, but switch one off before you use the other it's okay? :confused::D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

basically its the licensing.. if more than one license is in use at a time its piracy!! and nobody likes a pirate.. matey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OEM version is tied to the first pc it's installed on, you install it on any other pc and you breaking the law too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

arragggh me harties, bad pirates are made walk the plank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Only certain editions of licence let u use it on 2 PC's

That is by the way, just a lupehole: microsoft had to say 2CPU because more and more PC have 2 processers in them (the licence is per processer - if you move a processor to a new PC, even if it's an OEM copy, its legal)

They don't know how to seal security vunreabilities, but god knows they will seal this opportunity off soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭CraigMMMMM

Blitz wrote:
    The Licencing is the following:

Windows Xp can be installed on upto 2 computers but may not be used at the same time, i.e if you have 2 pcs in your house and they are always on then you cant, however if you have a laptop that you use at work, but use a pc at home then its ok.

but what about the activation code?? is there not something like it can only be used on one pc/orlaptop??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are you sure you aren't thinking about OFFICE - non-oem versions allow the primary user to install on a laptop as long as both aren't in use at the same time.

Windows AFAIK has always been one licence per device.

Advertisement