Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs, Excise and Itinerants

• 03-11-2004 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

After the recent debacle that was Dunsink Lane, it was with intrigue that I noticed the other day that Customs were outside Intel in Leixlip with several foreign registered cars pulled over. They even had a car transporter, presumably to sieze some poor unfortunate's car.

What really, really got up my nose was the fact that a mere hundred metres away were several caravans, each with British registered jeeps or vans or cars. Not a hint of Irish road tax or insurance or VRT, which presumably was what they were outside Intel for.

I think we all know too well that if they bothered there arses to waddle up to the Itinerant's caravans to inquire as to the status of said vehicles, they would have nothing short of a riot on thier hands. They would be intimidated with slash hooks, crossbows, shotguns and who knows what else.

As usual, one rule for them, one rule for us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A friend of mine also had his northern register car pulled up down in Cork for the same reasons, maybe there is just a general crackdown on this, however I do see your point. Mind you, if you were in their shoes would you have approached the travellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yes... if I had several pounds of plastic explosive and the proverbial short fuse.

Customs officers are people too. People that are afraid of being horribly murdered and buried under someones expensive caravan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rymus wrote:
    yes... if I had several pounds of plastic explosive and the proverbial short fuse.
    You've already got the short fuse by the sound of it rymus. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

After the recent debacle that was Dunsink Lane

Cue the fifteen page traveller bashing thread, Dunsink Lane II
    What really, really got up my nose was the fact that a mere hundred metres away were several caravans, each with British registered jeeps or vans or cars. Not a hint of Irish road tax or insurance or VRT, which presumably was what they were outside Intel for.

Did you mention this to the Gardai present?

If not then how do you know what the guards were there for?

How do you know that the Guardai hadn't already? were you waiting outside intel for sever!al hours or something?
    I think we all know too well that if they bothered there arses to waddle up to the Itinerant's caravans to inquire as to the status of said vehicles, they would have nothing short of a riot on thier hands. They would be intimidated with slash hooks, crossbows, shotguns and who knows what else.

Your making prejudiced assumptions again. unless you know these particular members of the travelling community, which I doubt.

This is not necessarily true. If you have been reading your newspapers lately there are members of the travelling community being tried for whatever crimes they are accused of, just like settled people.
    Mind you, if you were in their shoes would you have approached the travellers?

If the guards cannot do their job then they should not wear the uniform, whether the criminal involved be a settled person or a traveller.

They knew the risks of the job the minute they signed up in templemore.
    Ah the joy of pikeys!!

so it begins, at least this time After hours has moderators, unlike when the dunsink thread was going.

oh and before you go on about travellers dodging having to pay stuff, how many of you have programs like kazaa and cracked warez on your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cue the fifteen page traveller bashing thread, Dunsink Lane II
    In hindsight, I didn't intend this to become an Itinerant bashing thread. I was just letting off steam.

Did you mention this to the Gardai present?

If not then how do you know what the guards were there for?
    Gardai? What Gardai? They were not present, it was only Customs people.
    How do you know that the Guardai hadn't already? were you waiting outside intel for sever!al hours or something?
    I pass the Itinerants every morning, and lo and behold, their big jeeps were there this morning.

oh and before you go on about travellers dodging having to pay stuff, how many of you have programs like kazaa and cracked warez on your computer.
    Absoloutely none. I have never, and never will, use illegal software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've always thought that a cheaper route for moving travellers on would be to advise them that the revenue will be down to visit in the morning and that they are to have all their receipts and tax details available for inspection. Certainly cheaper than protracted court cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This thread will be modded with a very heavy hand. Keep argument logical and reasonable. Prejudice will not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

tom dunne wrote:

What about the rule for rich people and celebarities? White collar crime? A couple of caravans on the side of the road are the least of this countries problems with regard the law turning a blind eye.

Trojan wrote:
    This thread will be modded with a very heavy hand. Keep argument logical and reasonable. Prejudice will not be tolerated.
    I am glad to hear that. I firmly believe in live and let live. If a certain group within our country choose to live on the side of the road, in squalor, then that is their choice.

The problem I have is with my perception that Itinerants seem to be getting away with not paying tax/revenue/VRT/whatever on cars that are being driven by them. I once had a boss who said that perception is reality. My perception in this case is that the Customs people were specifically targeting a group of foreign Intel employees, while a group of Intinerants up the road were comitting the same crime, but did not appear to be targeted.

I would feel the exact same way if I knew someone who was, for example, claiming Social Welfare while working (but of course that is a whole new thread).

Tom

If you feel that certain people are flouting the law, by all means report it to the gargai or the revenue or whatever body is responsible.

I just don't believe your view that the guards would let members of the travelling community just do as they please.

This is the only point I disagree with you on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

tom dunne wrote:
    The problem I have is with my perception that Itinerants seem to be getting away with not paying tax/revenue/VRT/whatever on cars that are being driven by them.

I'd check that definition of prejudice again if I were you.
    An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I'd check that definition of prejudice again if I were you.
    I think you are mixing up perception and prejudice.

If it was a crowd of Dublin 4 heads, or Letrim supporters, or members of the Al Gore appreciation society, parked at the side of the road, with English registered cars, I would feel the exact same about them.
    I just don't believe your view that the guards would let members of the travelling community just do as they please.
    I don't really feel that is the case, Billy. What I do feel is that it appears to me that the Customs people seem to think that pulling over a load of foreign Intel employees would be an easier target than speaking with the Itinerants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

A friend of mine also had his northern register car pulled up down in Cork for the same reasons, maybe there is just a general crackdown on this, however I do see your point. Mind you, if you were in their shoes would you have approached the travellers?
    I saw on the news a few months ago that the road tax system in the north of Ireland was being reformed and computerised. Seemingly just under half of the population of car owners in the north don't bother getting their cars taxed.
    It was an easy system to avoid because it was all a complicated paper trail.
    So, possibly they are making an effort to check up on all nordy reg cars.
    Tom Dunne wrote:
    it was with intrigue that I noticed the other day that Customs were outside Intel in Leixlip with several foreign registered cars pulled over. They even had a car transporter, presumably to sieze some poor unfortunate's car.
    Are you absolutely positive that it was Customs and Excise that you saw searching the cars? Intels security people are well known for stopping staff as they go out through the security gate and searching them for possible stolen articles from the Fab.

I don't really feel that is the case, Billy. What I do feel is that it appears to me that the Customs people seem to think that pulling over a load of foreign Intel employees would be an easier target than speaking with the Itinerants.

Then the customs and excise people are idiots for not seeking garda assistance if they feel that they might be going into a dangerous situation.

Unfortunately there is an element in the public sector who like to take the easy way out of things.

Then the customs and excise people are idiots for not seeking garda assistance if they feel that they might be going into a dangerous situation.

Unfortunately there is an element in the public sector who like to take the easy way out of things.
    Nail. Head.

This is part of the problem. The law should be equally applied to all members of the community.

I always thought that the guards always accompanied these people wherever they went. guess I am mistaken. not even one guard to be a witness?

maybe there was plain clothes guard there.

I think it is more of a fear of personal safety rather than an equality issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

dahamsta wrote:
    You've already got the short fuse by the sound of it rymus. :)

SHURRUP OR I'LL FUPPIN KILL YA! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Intels security people are well known for stopping staff as they go out through the security gate and searching them for possible stolen articles from the Fab.
    Don't they have metal detectors on the way out?

sceptre wrote:
    Don't they have metal detectors on the way out?
    No, you are thinking of the old ESSM/SECC factory where they packaged processors that were worth anything from 500 old pounds to a thousand pounds. Quite a few went walkies, I believe.
    Are you absolutely positive that it was Customs and Excise that you saw searching the cars? Intels security people are well known for stopping staff as they go out through the security gate and searching them for possible stolen articles from the Fab.
    The big huge CUSTOMS sticker on the back of thier yellow jackets was a give away. As was the car transporter and the big jeep with the lights on it and CUSTOMS written on it. Besides, Intel security do not wear white, peaked caps.:)

An by the way, they do not stop staff going out the front gates to search them. There is nothing really worth stealing from the Fab, apart from hand tools. Wafers are not worth anything to anyone, and would be quite difficult to steal them, given the size of them.

Anyway, we are drifting way off topic.

Advertisement