Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a MMORPG to play

Options
  • 03-11-2004 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Anyway been playing neocron for two years and im finally getting sick of the game neocron 2 is nearly as bad as beta . Any suggestions on what MMORPG i should play.

Hey just seen a the post's on COH and some of the screens hobbes posted looks cool. The game looks nice whats the game play like is it all player versus monster or is there any Player versus player.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Darkener wrote:
    Hey just seen a the post's on COH and some of the screens hobbes posted looks cool. The game looks nice whats the game play like is it all player versus monster or is there any Player versus player.
    No PvP yet in CoH, but it should be coming in a couple of months or so.

Ive been playing CoH on and off for a few months now. While messing around with your characters costumes is good fun, there is a lack of variety in instanced mission types (usually it "arrest" all the baddies and/or find the glowing objects). What has kept me playing in the occasional task force or special mission and of course the people you meet in game (as with most MMORPGs).

So if you want a MMORPG that isn't too challenging and is a bit of a departure from the usual EQ type game you might enjoy CoH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Give DAOC a chance :) great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I shall be playing CoH soon enough (once I finally get BB, fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Only annoying thing about COH is some of the players are muppets. If you get into a bad team (1 muppet and rest are average to new players) it can really ruin your day.

I picked 3 people to help with a mission. One of them is low level so I sidekick him. We go inside.

There are about 20 or so bad guys in front of us.
    Me: Ok guys wait up while I pull them
    Sidekick: Yeeeeehaaaaaa! (goes running into them and dies in 2 seconds)
    Rest of us: Crap crap crap! (go running for the exit as the crowd now works on us. another one dies).

I manage to get out and save the other. I go back in and teleport the corpses and revive them.

Me: OK THIS TIME do not go into them. Let me pull them.
    Sidekick: Ok
    Me: (Fires at one with sniper shot to pull a couple over... three start coming our way)
    Sidekick: Yeeeeehaaaaaa! (goes running in to meet them, triggering the others. He dies as do I and one other)

At this point I'm a bit annoyed. I rez myself and rez the others.
    Me: STOP BLOODY DOING THAT
    Sidekick: But I am a melee
    Me: Well wait until they are with us.
    Sidekick: But I want to use my flaming sword.
    Me: Its no use if we are all dead.

The annoying thing is he does this again 3 more times in varying different ways. Like run into a crowd, or I say leave the boss to last so he hits the boss and then runs back to us for a heal while we are fighting a group.

Eventually the mission I have never seen people leave a team so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yup, alot of muppets, tbh. If you get in a decent supergroup and can team up with regulars often, its ALOT better.

I'd recommend every time you team with someone with half a brain, and you get on reasonably well, add them to your friends list.
    Can help an awful lot.

Personally, I got rather bored of the whole game in a little under 2 weeks. Very little to keep me coming back.

As my friend in my house asked: Have you got your shiny new power?

Thats basically all that keeps you coming back for more, is when do I get my next cool power.
    In fairness though, I did spend close to an hour just flying around the city, when I first got fly, but it isnt worth the price tag for the small glimmer of interest it sparks, every time you gain some thing new.

Expect to "grind" alot.
    No PvP (this is to change)
    Limited character design/development.
    Lots of muppets.

If you can see past all that, its a rather fun game, albeit shortlived.

• Advertisement

Limited character design/development.

Not too sure about that. The character setup ranges in the 1000's. I think more of the issue is that people tend to gravitate to the same cookie cutter setup. For example I notice a lot of people take "Hasten" and "Stamina" (two seperate power pools).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

if u want to try a fun pvp game to out to a shop this weekend and get a copy of PC gamer. It should have a beta key code to let you into the guild wars beta this weekend.

Read my review about guild wars below for more details. If i manage to get into this beta weekend I might take a few screenies!

BTW< i'd advise you to make sure that PC gamer is the correct mag before buying it. Wouldn't want u to waste ur money and be mad at me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Tusky wrote:
    Give DAOC a chance :) great game.
    Did that already the one big problem with daoc is unless you have like no life its
    slow as hell to level . Although the PvP is suppose to be real good but it take me ages to get to level 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭martinoc

I'd highly reccommend EVE Online. Especially if you're into the space captain genre. It reminds me of old games like Elite and Frontier (Elite II) and more recently of a Microsoft title by the name of Freelancer.

Deffinatly worth a look. Its a subscription based game, but players can give 7 day trials to thier mates. If any one wants a 7 day trial, Just pm me your email address and I'll pass you along one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Get WoW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

WoW isn't released here until March or so. You currently have to order a copy from the US and then pay with an Amercian credit card, or a pay card.

Oh, and avoid AO if you're sick of Neocron. Its pretty much more of the same, saddled with a cranky beast of a graphics engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Fenster wrote:
    WoW isn't released here until March or so. You currently have to order a copy from the US and then pay with an Amercian credit card, or a pay card.

You can buy cdkeys(which work with the open beta client) off eBay for pretty comparable prices to what it would be in Europe, and gamecards are being sold from the 29th on, afaik English import companies will be getting them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You can order WoW from multiple retailers in the states and use gamecards to play.

Well worth it from what i saw in the beta, best game ive played in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Still seems to be those major lag problems (reading the official announcement on the WoW homepage). WoW is definately an amazing game, I found the slowdown annoying in the beta, so I'm going to wait for the Europe release (I'm an idiot).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

in my opinion eve...one of the greatest games ever created...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im playing on the servers in the states with a ping of about 180 and have noticed zero lag. I was pleastently surprised :)

If you order the game from the states and dont wanna play on US servers u get the option o play the EU beta and then to play on the EU servers when its released. So basiclly u play now pay later (the sub).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

Stay away from eve, the whole game is ****ed up, almost all the item & skill additions over the last year, have been primarily designed around taking so long to get so you keep paying subs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Ave wrote:
    Stay away from eve, the whole game is ****ed up, almost all the item & skill additions over the last year, have been primarily designed around taking so long to get so you keep paying subs fees.

ehh what?? you obviously havent played much.

Anyway, I'd recommend if your into sci-fi or were ever a Fan of games such as frontier elite 2 on the amiga go towards EVE, I've been playing it since it first was released and I'm still enjoying it. There is a fair amount of irish players playing it and they will all agree that it is one of the best mmorpg's out there.

For Fantasy I recommend World of Warcraft I've been playing on the US servers now for a couple of weeks and I have to say its great fun, really enjoyable and easy to get into.

Your other alternative is EQ2 I didnt like it but you might plus its availabe in europe were as WOW you will have to buy from the states at the moment.

zekiel wrote:
    ehh what?? you obviously havent played much.
    January 2003 - October 2004.

You?

Remind me how long it takes to train to pilot a T2 Assault Cruiser + T2 medium guns?

180+days at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Personal opinion

EvE: Tried it for a few months graphics were sweet enough, looked really nice
    I just couldnt handle all the mining etc also bit weird this but I kinda felt always that i wanted to stop at Space station and get run off and run around as a charactor........probably shouldn't have mentioned that last point ;)

Star Wars Galwaxies: Was grand aswell again graphics were nice, I think they f*ked this game when they started handing out holocrons to everyone ! I prefered when it was all down to random selection, when you build a char at the start, you basically get a %chance of being "force sensitive" but later on it became clear that ANYONE could become a Jedi and they went from something rare and special to = powergamer, but in the time and you can get it easy enough.

DAOC: (played this one alot so have quite alot of feelings about it) they cant fix that game, they have quite simply f*ked it to much, since it started the WHOLE game has changed far too much and not for the better, Toonz and got loving one patch they a solid nerf the next then they give other realms crazy overpowered toonz to try and get people to play that realm (ie Savages). In the end it just ended up with high RR grps (NP, Vengence etc and others of same type) grps just farming everyone and 99% of people couldnt do F*k all to them. And thats is not mentioning at all the ML bull****, artifacts and lvling them before you are meant to go RvR to be competive.
    For JohnDoe the newbie. He has to first lvl to 50 then go do his ML levels 1-10 then go get all his artifacte then he now has to go lvl them up, before he steps out the portal game <or whatever with frontiers now> and in between all that he has to farm for cash..... <sigh>

World of Warcraft: My Personal favourite at the moment, played US beta was really really happy with it, nice graphics, nice game system. It looks like a lot of fun, hopeing it will fill the gap that daoc left. I think that this game is well worth a look.

Again these opinons are totally personal I have loads of friends still playing them regularaly and love every minute of it, Each to own etc

If I were you I would give WoW serious consideration if you are loooking for a new game to play, right now its the perfect time to start it, soon open beta, you get to try all the diff chars out see what you like and then early next year <jan/feb> game will go live and you will be ready to start with everyone right from the start.

Just my 2 cents

• Advertisement

im a member of Eternal Silence in eve and the fact that the corp has every blueprint original available in the game means that i know what im talking about...the tech2 assault cruiser is a cruiser which can take out a battleship..if it was extremely easy to fly then whats the point in having battleships...imo you train that skill while chaining 10 or 15 million spawns down in 0.0...its not something (imo) where you wake up one morning and sit looking @ the screen waiting for it to finish...

**3 separate characters***started may 03...still playing***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

this is easy, if your interested in PVP, then there is only 2 choices, Daoc which is a solid game, the later expansions ruin it a bit but its solid. And the other choice for pvp would have to be WoW which is an excellent game, pvp system still needs work but will be better after some patching battlegrounds added etc.

Eq2 has no pvp and is not likely to have any anytime soon, its also a very controlled game with little freedom to do anything outside of groups, good though

Guild wars in not out yet, but I wes very unimpressed with it so far after playing some of the open trials

So in summary as of this moment Daoc is better PVP, ok PvE, WoW is much better PvE with good PvP potential.

COH should have PvP next month.. but like patch days you should hold off to see the total mess it might become. Although TBH COH patch days have been painless (for me at least).

im a member of Eternal Silence in eve and the fact that the corp has every blueprint original available in the game means that i know what im talking about...
    What your corp has done, has zero reflection on you.
    the tech2 assault cruiser is a cruiser which can take out a battleship..
    Both players being of equal skill, and skillpoints, you'd need to be a fairly lacklustre pilot to lose to an assault cruiser, Apoc versus vengeance.
    if it was extremely easy to fly then whats the point in having battleships...imo you train that skill while chaining 10 or 15 million spawns down in 0.0...its not something (imo) where you wake up one morning and sit looking @ the screen waiting for it to finish...
    Training to a battleship: 2-3 weeks
    Training to an improved cruiser: 20-30 weeks

See the difference?

So, 6 months is acceptable?

Even to train for T2 Large guns takes 2-3 months, and they are only slightly(5-10%) better then T1 Named.

Almost all T2 skill training has been balanced to extend training time as long as possible.

so dont train tech 2 gunnery and dont fly an assault cruiser....

CCP set the skills required for assault cruiser and you dont have to bother if you dont want to...

jesus you would swear you have no other option...

...have fun playing a game that doesnt force you to make posts that dont have a direct bearing on the subject at hand...(he wanted advice on a game...not a specific aspect of a game that he may not even encounter)

jesus you would swear you have no other option...
    Yeah, and you have another option when T2 named items come out, or T3 ships in a year?

Sure you can still fly an apoc when a T3 version of a tier 1 frigate can beat it, you have the choice, but you wont want to.

i didnt say you would want the choice...im just training all the spaceship command and all the mech/eng/elec to 5 so i can use a titan...who cares what guns they have when your ship is too big to fit in gates...btw i have flown a titan and they are quite fun...

im sorry you got annoyed with eve but i still think its a great game and they really have sorted out a lot of the exploits and nerfs that ruined the game for people who used the 0.0 systems a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I just spent the last couple of days getting to grips with what EvE is about, its not obvious, in the end I decided its not be something I would play.

The skills thing really got to me, you dont actually have to be online to train in skills, which is a plus, but you cant speed it up, if something takes 2 weeks, theres no way around it, its gonna take 2 weeks, which is a crazy ammount of time to wait for 1 skillup (IMO). They could remove the whole skill system and base everything on the economy (ie, if you can afford a big badass ship, you can fly it, or at least hire a pilot/crew), and it would make the game a lot more attractive IMO. The fact that your overall progress is based on how long since you started playing, rather than how many hours you have actually spend playing the game is not a good thing (IMO).

Theres is also a distinct lack of active gameplay, you can literally set a destination, turn on autopilot, and go watch TV, long trips can easily take 30 mins. Your main options for gameplay (that I saw), are spending months building up enough skill/wealth to have a chance in PvP, or mining, or running cargo on autopilot.

Its a very numbers oriented game, when you buy a gun for your ship it has about 10 different stats, half of which I dont know what do, not very user friendly.

Again regarding the skills system, you can severely gimp yourself if you pick the wrong stats, I did, and had to reroll, simply knowing a bit about the game, I ended up starting off with 3 times the number of skill points than the previous character I was playing for 2 days.

I dont want to be too hard on the game, if they removed/fixed the skills system, and added some more interesting things to do with your time, I would probably play it. In fact I would play it now if it didnt have a monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I've tried Eve twice now, on two different free trials.
    Not a big fan.
    Basically the level of skill in the game comes from, literally, who has been playing the longest.
    You cant control your ship, but rather choose your target and click attack.
    Then the AI flies around your target, firing your laser at it. Not very fun, imho. When I was originally told it was an improved, graphically superior version of Elite, I nearly pissed myself. But the fact is, its pretty dire.
    I thought the built in internet explorer was pretty neat, but you can only look at pages that are compatible with their protocol. As was said, the flying from destination to destination takes ages and even once you get to where your going, there is generally very little to do there, anyway.

These are my main gripes with Eve, so, imho, stay away from it.
    As a wise man once said,"its fancy, subscription screen-saver".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Hobbes wrote:
    COH should have PvP next month.. but like patch days you should hold off to see the total mess it might become. Although TBH COH patch days have been painless (for me at least).

Today being one of those days, started my new player , called Knight-light :D he is a kheldian.

and yes, COH is getting a new OOC(out-of-combat) and PvP in the next issue , aptly titled "Colosseum"

Advertisement