Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 02-02-2000 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Which book would YOU like to have written and (if you want) why?

No "bible"'s please, we dont want to start that discussion all over again smile.gif

my choice btw would have to be "The Lord of the Flies" -- classic stuff smile.gif

"...perhaps one day we might find out."
    wHiTe-TrAsH.cjb.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

holywood wives or anything like that co the sell bloody millions and id be very very rich...or anything by stephen king that has sold millions and millions.
    basically any book that sold millions and millions and made me loads of cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Jurassic Park of course. What a book, what a marketing excercise. Truly the stuff of kings. Really though I would have liked to have written Microserfs or Generation X by Doug Coupland. They would have made me rich but they were great defining books at the same time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Stinger, by Robert R. McCammon, the classic action/horror book. It's unputdownable!! (/end cliche mode)

Someone please make a good film out of this and I would be v happy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

For me...it has to be that one "To Kill a Mocking Bird". That's a book that noone is ever going to forget. We've all read it and we all enjoyed it. WHAT A STORY !!!!

tct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

To Kill a Mocking Bird? Lord of The Flies? Two utter pieces of fecal matter that were probably made more enjoyabale by being rammed down our throats in a futile effort to make us devoid of independent thought. (****e books for the slower people out there).

Lord Of The Rings -J.R.R. Tolkien. Might be sort of a kids book but rates highly on everyones fav list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Blitz- you are for the ages!!! what a constructive post. wow, you really grasp that whole discussion board idea, and you probably studied, i don't know, human rights and the qualities of a democratic society to have posted so wisely. Can i subscribe to your newsletter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Im the only subscriber. tongue.gif
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Those Ann and Barry Books we used to read at primary school.
    All those $exual undertones.

I know one book everyone in my school read. I read rats(not quite sure of the title) by James Herbert. The next week we were sitting in the library with nothing to do so I pointed out some choice scenes to the lads.

If you've read anything by James Herbert you know he always includes 4-5 elaborate sex scenes. Over the next 2 years that book was checked out every week! Somebody even convinced the school to get in more books by James Herbert! smile.gif

People are so sensitive about top shelf material, and every teenager in the school must have gotten that out of the school library!

School library, ha we dont even have a library.Thats how much of a scum hole my school is.The computers we have are tulips that i have the feeling some of are 286 although most are 3-486.O and the toilets,have you seen trainspotting.

con

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lord of the flies was a classic, but i agree that books like those on the leaving cert are rammed down our throats and dissected in a way that makes them most unenjoyable.
    howver, i was pretty lucky to have a mother who bought most of the books on the leaving cert and other choice material for me to read when i was about 11 or 12. so i guess i had a good few years ahead of everyone else to enjoy them
    lord of the flies scared me stupid when i first read it, all the barabaric actions of the kids when they finally loose the plot and start murdering each other
    tremendous stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Same as yerself, I read Lord of the Flies when I was about 11 or 12, so by the time I got around to doing it for the leaving cert, I'd read it loads of times anyway; and the over-analysis thing didn't get to me tbh. What always gets to me about analysing books and plays is not having to do it in the first place; its having someone elses opinions on them forced down your throat.

Funny how your perception of LotF changes each time you read it.

Ja,
    Rob

I've never read it - it's too damn boring! Normally even if a book is really boring I keep reading it just to see if it improves, but that was just too boring!

Never read it but saw the movie which is allways better,its good when the fat kid gets killed.does that bit happen in the book or was it added by hollywood.
    I liked the discworld books MORT was the best out of the 3 I read.

con

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"The Kama Sutra"

Field research would have been a ball....

"The Riverboat Series" by Philipe Jose Farmer (Sorry, can't remember the individual book titles).
    Absolutely incredible, yet simple, idea.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

1984, I have never read anything that made me think the way this book did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

"The Famous Five" - oh man those books offer the answers to all lifes questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

twould have to be the yellow pages....
    lol

Lord of the Rings

One ring to rule them all, One ring to to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Lords and Ladies

simple as that!!!!!!

This is Commander in chief of the USS Esses, signing off.

WELL,
    maybe.... erm..... hmmm.......

it relly is a tough q's, i've been reading books all my life, we all have.
    some, as we know are rammed down our throats, but that does not neccessarily mean that we resent those books or authors (or even the rammers), i count myself all the better for having read such books as lord of the flies or animal farm
    forget any insightful 'life is a peach on top but underneath we are all still animals' undertones - they are good books to read and enjoy, nuff said

i also enjoyed many other books i was forced to read for curricular requirements, and many of them i didn't like, but still counted myself better off for having read them. why? u ask

well u dont know if u like or hate something until u try it, and hating something is as much a step towards greater knowledge as is liking something

in answer to the q's posed.
    there are too many books that i would like to have written than i have time to list. all for different reasons.

gimme a week to think an' i'll get back to u on it. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

i was reading down through the list.
    i was shocked(to put it mildly)
    not one of you put Douglas Adams' "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" .
    the book has sold millions and millions and so have the sequels,it has been made into a movie,it was even broadcasted ob bbc radio as a radio series.
    apart from that,the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and the follow-on books to it are the funniest books i have ever read(and i read a lot).not only are they funny though,they are really intelligent also and make you think ,and that just makes the book even funnier.
    If you havent read this book,leg it to your local library right now and get it,if the library is locked just knock the door down,its that good!

some men hold:That he's the sanest,far of all sane men- some that he's really sane but shamming mad- some that he's really mad but shamming sane- somethat he will be mad,some that he was-some that he couldn't be.But on the whole The favourite theory's somewhat like this:Da'Bounca is idiotically sane with lucid intervals of lunacy :/

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Er...when was there a Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy film? I know one was proposed, but as far as I know, it never got off the ground.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

the film did get off the ground sometime in the 80's.mind you,it barely got off the ground and wasnt nearly as good as the book,most films based on books never are though.

I hate douglas adams. He's a no-talent bum. The whole series reads like early Terry Pratchet and the plot has so many twists in it, not only can you make no sense of it, THERE IS NO SENSE IN IT! You think that character is dead\ that bag is lost? Just wait a few sequels and some cross dimensional/time travel incident and they'll be back again!

Ah dougie was funny in his own way. I liked it tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ok - everybody here has read the exact same books i have. Can't leave the comment "Might be sort of a kids book but rates highly on everyones fav list" rest bout lotr. mebbe it is a bit of a kids book, but where my bro went to college, they were teaching classes in Elvish - that book is the REAL bible, and its way deeper than just a bit of a kids book (like the hobbit, probably). but you already knew that....

book i wouldve liked to've written = if someone asked me in real life, lotr, probably. another good series that nobody liked except me was the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series by Tad Williams, i thought it was vgood - some crap elements but anyway, don't want to write a book.... (hehehe)

Why illkillya,
    do u lack a certain creative instinct smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

no, that was actually a joke because the post was getting so long smile.gif

Advertisement