Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

This is the Chief Commander Chef of the SAS in XS in Essex, jerking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, for some reason ive read all of duglous adams' books and i didnt really enjoy ay of them.
    some excellent lines and jokes, but overall, not up there with the best by any stretch of the imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

That was the thing woth doug.
    He wasnt funny the whole way through a book by any means. but in every book there were about 5 lines that had me in stitches, with at least 5 others that were laughable.
    The rest of the story wasnt that entertaining tho imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Edge

sorry if im a bit late posting to this as i dont normally go here
    i have to say Magician
    that was a class book

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

EDGE! you're the man. i was going to say something about that book - it has been very strongly recommended to me, and i wanted to buy it all week, but i didn't know who wrote it, and i couldn't find it in any book shop. Who wrote it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

The Táin-Thomas Kinsella

seriously Raymond E Feist wrote it
    and do buy it you wont be disappointed

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Lo lads
    i'm nearly finished magician and it is brilliant smile.gif
    everyone should go out and buy it (well if ya want)
    because it is a really good book

-Skud
    - skud15@hotmail.com
    - www.edge-recon.homepad.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Skud, magician is the first book in a series of three, and it only gets better.

i really wish i was in your position so that i could read them all over again for the first time.

and illkillya u should read them too there brill smile.gif

This is Commander in chief of the USS Esses, signing off.

i just posted the same thing a minute ago, but i bought magician today, and illreadit.
    I have to read stupid school books with stupid symbolism and stuff about babylon before monday, so i won't get far in Magician. The way i've heard people talk about it, Is it the best fantasy book ever? apart from lotr of course...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For Illkillya's post, Magician is VG, do you mean best novel or a series? If the latter I believe Hambly's "Armies of Night" or else Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant Chronicles" w'd be better.

For Original Q:
    A: The Persian Expediation by Xenophon.
    True story of people coming together for a common purpose, that and the author got rich at the end by robbing a merchant. smile.gif
    Is mise.

I read the Thomas Covenant books. they were very good allright, they had a very distinct feeling to them. There were aspects that i didn't like though, the psychological, inner conflicts and stuff that i don't really care about that are in a lot of books were very important in the Covenant series - like how he raped lena. The second 3 books then, there was the white gold stuff - more psychological stuff, and it was just too miserable how the giants were gone and stuff.
    Never heard of the other one though

Sorry: Barbara Hambly - Darwath Trilogy is it's proper title.

anyone read any Star Wars books?
    i have roughly 52 of them
    they are fairly good but the x wing ones are the best
    still nothing to the riftwar trilogy though

Tom

Re: Darwath. I find it's worth re-reading and is a personal favourite, though others my have diff. opinions.
    Basic story, the standard 2 people plucked from this world to one where there is magic
    and an End of the World situation. It has a nice blend of medieval politics and a good story line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Manach,
    is that trilogy a fantasy/adventure/myth series, i.e. the hambly "armies of darkness" one,
    and r u serious about it being one of the best triologies, if so i reckon i have to read it.
    whats it about??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the gap series is far superior to the tomas covenant series.
    all based on norse mythology and the 'ring' series made famous by wagner in das ring die neiblung (i think) anyway, its where the ride of the valkyries comes from. yes you all know that song.
    heathens and barbarians the lot of you!
    er, anyway, its excellent and bloody complex and really really gets into the technology and history of it all.
    bah..just read past the first book and youll understand!

i had one of the gap books actually, the mirror of her vision or something, but i didn't have the 1st one, so i didn't bother reading it, and now i've lost it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Hmmmmmmmm Books ..... I'd Have to go for my Fav book .. Caves of steel By a MR Asimov !!!
    Absolutly top class best book ever written and will be ever written ....
    Read it or feel hollow !!!!
    There i don't think i hyped it too much !!!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

Advertisement