Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Think* ive found my chips limit but whats best to keep it at

Options
  • 03-11-2004 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

now i could be wrong..it could need a new bios ..or it could be the motherboard..or it could be the chip..or it..etc etc

but ive played around a bit, ive been taking the ram out of the equation so its down the the cpu..ht is at 3 so thats out too

ive tried 12x220 = 2640 - crashed on me after about an hour in windows
    11.5x228 = 2622mhz - this was the best i could make stable
    11x235 = 2585 - pretty much best i could get with 11
    10.5x250 = 2625 - currently on this..seems ok 251 does not post at all!

so im thinking whatevers stopping me now (probably the chip) i seem to be stopping around 2.63ghz
    should i see how high i can get the htt...for say 10x262? or 9x....

does the chip perform best at 8x300 rather than 12x200 (the stock) even though its the same mhz?

ill go with whatever i can go to..but i really think 2.63 is about all ill see with this chip once i know what the best ratio is..ill bring my ram in and try and keep it around 200ish but then set it back to its pretty tight timings..

-update-

10x260 = thumbs up
    10x264 = thumbs down

gone to 9.5x275 now (2612mhz ..or so clockgen claims)

just thought..with my ht at 3..3x275 = 825mhz..thats over the default 4x200..is that gonna give me trouble?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Looks the norm for AMD 64 on air cooling. Considering I'm starting at 2210mhz I can just about reach 2450Mhz stable. However that was with 11x 222 Mhz. I use to be able to do 10x250 and get it to post but now I can't get it to post at all above 230. My memory timings are 2.5-2-2-10 with OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC 3700 so I'm expecting I can hold those timings up to just over 466mhz ram speed. At the moment I'm only using 444Mhz.

On the MSI K8N Neo Platinum you got about up to 1000mhz to play with in terms of hyper transport maybe slightly more or slightly less so try to keep under 1000mhz. Don't worry the difference between 100mhz hyper tranport and 1000mhz is minimal. For adjusting memory on AMD 64 I recommend use AMD64 Tweaker v 0.31. Allows for easy adjustment of ram within in windows and enabling other stuff like T2 timings which allow higher overclocks but degrade performance.

Woah is me I'm just after realising my 3400 Clawhammer is a CO revision which are pretty much the worst revision you can get on the AMD 64 chips. Might explain why my overclocks suck.

Okay from what I'm reading on several forums if your going up 266mhz put the multipler to 3 on the hyper transport anything above set it to 2.

The smart method seems to be drop the memory down to 166mhz and overclock from a mulitplyer of 9. Hope this helps somewhat. Let me know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

Azza wrote:
    Looks the norm for AMD 64 on air cooling. Considering I'm starting at 2210mhz I can just about reach 2450Mhz stable.

well...mines watercooled but :rolleyes:

..hmm if i put it to 9...9x290 = 2610mhz...i bet thats wot i can do ....but then i would need a divider as i dont think my ram will do anything past 230 or so

gah 1am now..i want to go on GTA:SA :p ..we shall leave it for tonight..btw i "think" mines C0 i cant remember where i put cpu-z..but mines a newcastle if that makes a diff stepping wise..

come on chip! or ill start threatening you with a possible pci-e set up....yehhhh ill get rid of you..dont want that do you..overclock more damn you
    [/greed mode]

:rolleyes:

All newcastle chips have the CG revision so you should be okay. Oh well I just staring at my newly recieved Winchester now. Should be fun overclocking this baby :)

good luck with it!

im quite happy with todays work so far..i think i started getting to the htt limit around 280ish so i couldnt have got to far at 9..so ive gone back to 10 with 262 fsb

a nice round 2620mhz got the ram set to 166mhz max so thats currently running at 218mhz andddd i just ran 3dmark01 and have gone from 22300 to 23221! :D

dont really think i can do anything else if ive hit my wall..we shall see but if this is stable, which it "appears" to be then sweeet!

little edit that has no relevance to this at all

but when you go to your own control panel..it appears i have reputation points or something...i have like 6 people commenting on my rig..and i have a whole 29 points..do i get to trade these in for computer parts :p ..no but...how do you like...do this if you want to comment on someones rig or something, first time ive noticed it today :confused:

• Advertisement

there i was...ht of 2.5 with it at 292fsb 9 multi giving my nice limit..or wall i seem to be having trouble getting past around the old 2.63ghz mark

when all of a sudden..black screen..then BSOD!..."page fault in non paged area" what in gods name is that all about!!

well i restarted it im getting annoying now..so i set it back to 10x260..with the ram at 200..so its prob about 215 or so..fair enough i thought its been stable like this before..so i do it..save changes..restart

...wait....wait.....wait...finally! beeps, i usually get the platinum screen then strat onto the loading bar..but now i get another screen, post screen it appears with my chip and speeds and whatever on..."warning now system is set in safe mode reset overclocking" or some crap, i hop into the bios to find my chip speed is at 2402mhz.stock, with the ram at 201..stock according to this this is what it says at the top anyways, but all my settings are still at 260x10 and everything..eh?!

reset the cmos ive moved the ram into slots 1 and 2 to see if that would help but it appears ..its not going to even let me have a stabe at oc'ing any more...safe mode..i never put it in safe mode! doesnt look like safe mode to me, this bastard thing! i may try 1.55b bios

so many problems....sooo annoying anyone know wot the hell is wrong here?

but ive had it, id kick the tower if it wouldnt hurt me :rolleyes: ..gonna go on gta to cool down..but :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thats the safety net. It will load your last known good configuration if it fails to boot. Thats all thats happened ;)

ooooh fair enough...thought id made a whoopsy :rolleyes:

Advertisement