Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning electronics

• 03-11-2004 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me a good book to learn about electronics. eg knowings whats what and maintaince etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As in building circuits, resistance, cap, rectifiers, amp up to what level, what do you want to maintain? I know a couble of good ones, depending on where you are entering etc what do you mean by maintenance- would this be like fixinf circuit boards etc and servicing etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

entry level ,just a good general book/ site that will help me learn about electronics in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

One book that I've always recommended to people who are interested in learning about electronic design is "The Art of Electronics", by Horowitz and Hill. Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0521370957.

Hasn't been revised since 1989, so it's a bit behind the times in terms of recent developments, but it gives a pretty good background in almost all aspects of electronic design. Expensive, but well worth it. It would help if you had some basic circuit knowledge, but an enthusiastic novice should be able to understand it.

If you want something more semiconductor oriented then you're better off going for some other books - be warned though that this is a really specialized area, so you could find yourself in over your head very quickly.

For starters on the semiconductor side, Sze's classic "Physics of Semiconductor Devices" is still a pretty good reference in terms of device physics. Can be heavy going though.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement