Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Installer corrupt ?

• 04-11-2004 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

Recently i have noticed that i have been having problems installing programs that have a .cab to read from. The first one i thought ok , but second and third program installations of such type have also yielded the same problem , ie. an error message to the effect that it cannot read the applicable .cab file and to make sure it exists etc.

My thoughts are to the msi windows installer program being somehow corrupt , would i be right in thinking so ? And if so how do i re-install the damn thing as i have a couple of acquired games that i just cannot install :rolleyes: .

Thanks in advance.

ps. using xp pro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its hard to tell, unless you can tell us what the error said, and if it was the same or similar message each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

it just says 'error xxxx cannot read joebloggs.cab , make sure it exists , blah , blah ' same error for all , me thinks of an xp repair/re-install on top maybe.

Edit : hey bud , just noticed you're down the road from me here in sunny ole tralee :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I was going to suggest seeing if you can download the standalone package from MS to repair the installer service, but it appears they don't have an XP variety, and I'd be afraid to recommend the NT4/2000 one as I don't know if it would work properly...

ITT man, myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Here is the recurring error message i get no matter what .cab file the installer tries to read from :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I find this is sometimes good in scenarios like this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Toppy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Look, just cos you don't like the guy doesn't make him corrupt!

Advertisement