Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for the EU to show some substance

Options
  • 04-11-2004 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

So the 2004 election results are kind of dissapointing to say the least.
    1973 Ireland joins the EEC an european ecconomic community, now it is the European Union you have your own currency, one member as far as I am concerned has shown some substance: France.

So what have have you got to say apart from hot air:got something like george this the way here is the coffee wake up and smell it? george wakes up and smells it and we all have donuts with the coffee. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts. instead of doh stupid president.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've little notion of what you're talking about above I'm afraid. You're looking for something from the EU, I got that and it probably isn't doughnuts. What might that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nutkase

I am looking for ideas from the residents of the EU one country happens to be Ireland that are not a head full of steam. Some suggestions to make it a Peace on terrorism as opposed to the war on terror.

Does that clarify it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It doesn't for me anyway... A head full of steam? Declaring peace on terrorists?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's somethign to do with Europe shutting up about America's failings and doing something of its own. But it might also be something to do with confectionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think it's somethign to do with Europe shutting up about America's failings and doing something of its own. But it might also be something to do with confectionary.
    Well, if you're right...

• Advertisement

OK, lets forget about the donoughts, lets forget about the terrorism.

Tell the rest of the world what the EU is apart from a cartel of nations how has the European Union developed. Is it still an ecconomic community or is there more going on than ecconomics?

Not Europe shutting up about America's failing and doing something on it's own. Together is the word I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

nutkase wrote:
    I am looking for ideas from the residents of the EU one country happens to be Ireland that are not a head full of steam. Some suggestions to make it a Peace on terrorism as opposed to the war on terror.

Does that clarify it for you?
    Kind of.

OK, first the basic long-term idea: stop funding terrorists who give you a beachhead somewhere this week. Next season they'll bite you in the ass. Ditto rogue governments. They might appear friendly but they're after their interests, not that of the funding country/government agency and they'll be pretty annoyed when the funding stops just because there isn't an advantage in funding them any more.

Second: the sarcastic idea: stop invading countries under a guide of a war on terror when they plainly haven't anything to do with the terrorists. Makes everyone paranoid.

The Eu itself haven't been officially involved in either of the above two actions but member countries have. Overthrow of any government only tends to work with perfect success if you kill all the supporters of the old government. Given that this is unpalatable, undesirable, impractical and just plain wrong, this isn't an option.

This is more an aim to start a reasonable discussion than posting concrete ideas (it's late and I've a 6am rise) so I'll come back to the thread in 17 hours or so and see if it's gone anywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure we want to play any of the games youse seem to be fond of. We're probably alright just plodding along. That's a major improvement for Europe, as it's been invasion here, colonisation there for as long as anyone can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

nutkase wrote:
    Tell the rest of the world what the EU is apart from a cartel of nations how has the European Union developed. Is it still an ecconomic community or is there more going on than ecconomics?
    I think its mainly a cartel of nations. Some countries have greater aspirations, others don't.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    Kind of.

OK, first the basic long-term idea: stop funding terrorists who give you a beachhead somewhere this week. Next season they'll bite you in the ass. Ditto rogue governments. They might appear friendly but they're after their interests, not that of the funding country/government agency and they'll be pretty annoyed when the funding stops just because there isn't an advantage in funding them any more.

Second: the sarcastic idea: stop invading countries under a guide of a war on terror when they plainly haven't anything to do with the terrorists. Makes everyone paranoid.

The Eu itself haven't been officially involved in either of the above two actions but member countries have. Overthrow of any government only tends to work with perfect success if you kill all the supporters of the old government. Given that this is unpalatable, undesirable, impractical and just plain wrong, this isn't an option.

This is more an aim to start a reasonable discussion than posting concrete ideas (it's late and I've a 6am rise) so I'll come back to the thread in 17 hours or so and see if it's gone anywhere.
    Not sure we want to play any of the games youse seem to be fond of.

First of all I am not a Yank (you probably will see more gramar errors from me because after being here for so long you get used to spelling colour: color etc) so if you think I am over here becoming Irish one day a year drinking green beer you are sadly mistaken. I am not one bit fond of the games being played I was sick to the back teeth of idiots after finding out I am Irish talking about the "cause" and the other gem we saved your asses in world war 2 of course forgetting they killed more people than Hitler did. When the French basically told George Bush we are sick of wars he did not like it one bit.

Sceptre You hit the Nail right on the head, the action I am talking about is diplomatic action. The European way with diplomacy is the opposite to the American who want deadlines adhered to not goals/objectives now this thread probably would not exist if either Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton were in office right now.

Concrete Ideas as opposed to plodding along, for starters the European Union seems to have much better checks and balances because it is not a military organization, rotating presidency. Lets face it the Man in power has a concrete head alright and his idea of globaliztion is not very global he probably choose China over Europe as a partner.

Advertisement