Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Options
  • 04-11-2004 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Dunno if this fits well into this section but anyway.

I just came home from Rodrigo Y Gabriela in spring and Airbrake in belfast.

I have to say an awesome show.

They finished with battery/master of puppets.

Anyone have any opinions on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

They're brilliant! Any idea if they'll be back in Dublin any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

I'm sure they'll be back in Dublin soon enough... since they live there.

Anyway, they're doing more dates in the whole country. Check their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Theyre playing Dolans in Limerick this friday night. €20 a fcuking ticket? Paaah :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If cover versions of "Take 5" by Dave Brubeck on spanish guitar are your thing, then they're fine and dandy.

As for the whole innovative Metallica covers bit, they lifted that from an album/group called Apocalyptica of about 5/6 years ago, which consisted of four cellists doing Metallica covers. And for those of you metallers who like a bit of classical this is a very worthwhile purchase (especially enter sandman).

I've got to say that Rod'n'Gabby are quite good guitarists, but that's about it. Presumably they can't believe their luck charging €20 to a gullible Irish public when their natural place is busking outside the Pompidou Centre to get together enough cash for a half ounce of Golden Virginia. Good luck to 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

Rodriga Y Gabriela have been doing Metallica covers for a very long time, there were even in a mexican thrash/death metal band named Tierra Acida.

I think you are being a bit harsh,. Their original stuff is very good. Go and see them and perhaps that'll change your opinion.

They are Playing in Vicar Street on December 13th.

• Advertisement

Believe me, I've seen them enough times to form an opinion. I've also read all the undeserved hype they've been getting recently.

Oh, and Apocalyptica released their first Metallica covers EP in 1996, while even the mighty Tierra Acida were in short pants.

http://www.apocalyptica.com/releases/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

You know I don't think Apocalyptica came up with the idea of covering a song and making it sound different.
    I quite like Rodrigo y Gabriella, but I haven't seen em live.

You know I don't think Apocalyptica came up with the idea of covering a song and making it sound different.

You'll note I never suggested that. However I have grown weary of the Tony Clayton-Leas of this world banging on about the stunning originality of their Metallica Covers. You'll also note that the aforementioned Metallica covers are always mentioned in any of the fawning press they receive. And for that matter in the first post in this thread. Interestingly the other thing that gets mentioned a lot is the stunning 'beauty' of Ver Gabby.

May I be the first to suggest, gentlemen, that the emperor is in fact stark bollock naked?

Advertisement